PDA

View Full Version : 2003 Galant 2.4L getting a performance makeover..Need help

2003galantes
12-08-2003, 11:43 PM
Hey all.Ok now since i got my 2.4l galant auto a few months back i only did some exterior mods but no really power mods.I told myself no more modding or spending money on the car.Well that idea didnt last too long .Ok all i need a little help here with a few things so please help me out a bit since the 2.4l is a little new to me . I alreadyhave a injen cai & magnaflow muffler but now i got some extras toadd: kamikaze headers, zex dry kit , apex safc . Now please tell me if i forgot anything so as to make sure im not forgetting anything cause its been a little while so im trying to familiar myself again with the system again.

Heres whats done so far:

1. injen cai is installed
2. magnaflow muffler installed

Heres what getting done this week:

3. need 4 new spark plugs (i need copper ngk bkr7e ) 1 range colder and gapped to .25 , .30 or.35 ..not sure any recomendations

4. need 4 new plug wires ( not sure what brand to get at least
8mm thow)..any recomendations

5. install cali spec headers.. should be to hard as long as the flanges are smooth and i get an extra gasket

6. install nitrous spray nozzel in intake tube in upper pipe at about 8 inches down from the throttle body.

7. install of running zex nos lines,no problem..install of running power to switch to 12v source in fuse panel ,no problem..install of tapping ground wiree to frame and tps wire to yellow/green ,no problem wire.. Install of 2 black hose to fpr and vacuum line in correct area..NOT SURE HERE ..NEED HELP

8. install of 55 hp jets per zex for fuel and nos .. recomendations needed on what works well for our car as i know what zex says in the manual but some configurations can work better for different cars and would like to know what everyone here is using on theirs

9. install of apex safc to be installed a couple weeks later and will go threw wiring diagram in old threads.But Is the fix required to work it correctly on the 2.4l auto..cause on the 3.0 eclipse it didnt work right without it installed .

Now if anybody can interject on something i may have missed please let me know or if you have done the same thing but would have changed something if you had the chance to do it again please let me know. Thanx Guys for the support..Marco

P.S. this car stock was pretty slow .What do you think it will run with the new parts installed with and without the 55 shot?

mjc1055
12-09-2003, 12:27 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(2003galantes)</div><div class='quotemain'>5. install cali spec headers.. should be to hard as long as the flanges are smooth and i get an extra gasket</div>

I think you mean fed spec, right? I don't know why you'd WANT cali spec headers, I've got em on my v6 and i wish the god damn CARB regulations didnt exist, cuz id be making a lot more power if it werent for my cali spec headers... anyway youll like that 55 shot, my friends got the same size jet on his 4 cyl impreza and its definately a lot of fun https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

Prophet
12-09-2003, 12:43 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(2003galantes)</div><div class='quotemain'>

4. need 4 new plug wires ( not sure what brand to get at least Â*
8mm thow)..any recomendations</div>

Magencore. Stay away from Nology. Over priced and you can ruin your engine.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>
Now if anybody can interject on something i may have missed please let me know or if you have done the same thing but would have changed something if you had the chance to do it again please let me know. Thanx Guys for the support..Marco
</div>

Install the gauges first before the FI. Safer IMO.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>
P.S. this car stock was pretty slow .What do you think it will run with the new parts installed with and without the 55 shot?</div>

The only real way to get out of our engines is FI. I have seen a couple of dyno charts where headers gave a max of 3hp and for the money I don't think it is worth it. There is a company that claims to have 25 hp gains with headers but I don't trust a company that doesn't back there product up with a warranty. I will leave said company name alone for now.

There has been some suggestions that cams and cam gears will give good gains but I haven't had much experience there.

Hope that helps.

BlankMan
12-09-2003, 09:48 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(2003galantes)</div><div class='quotemain'>3. need 4 new spark plugs (i need copper ngk bkr7e ) 1 range colder and gapped to .25 , .30 or.35 ..not sure any recomendations</div>

1 range colder would be 6's (BKR6E-11), not 7. Gap to .8mm/.028" MIN - 1.1mm/.043" MAX (depends on your application.) I'd start at the hihger gap and work down if you need.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(2003galantes)</div><div class='quotemain'>4. need 4 new plug wires ( not sure what brand to get at least 8mm thow)..any recomendations</div>

I don't know where you're going to put 4 wires. The 4G64 has two coil packs mounted directly on 2 cyl's and then only 2 plug wires running to the other 2.

J

2003galantes
12-09-2003, 04:08 PM
ok thanx for the input im probaly gonna get magnacore 8m,m wires.i saw them for $75 at RRE. ALso i have a cali spec galant which just means i have an extra precat connected to my stock header so i have to get the kamikaze headers that fit on a cali spec exhaust system . I dont have a choice it comes that way after mid 2001. Anybody know about the fpr connection on the zex kit..marco

mjc1055
12-09-2003, 04:30 PM
sorry, i think i misunderstood when you said you were getting cali spec headers, i thought you were talking about swapping over to the stock headers from a cali-spec galant https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

and yeah, like Jason said, the only thing you can really do to your car if you want to see big gains is go FI, or more extreme, swap an EVO engine into your car like Clay did..

2003galantes
12-17-2003, 10:24 AM
ok today and last night i pocketlogged my runs on my car from 0-60 & from 50-80 mph. I can definately tell you that the kamikaze headers are definately a nice mod . I can feel the car flow from 45-80 so much faster than it did with the stock headers. at the highest air flow peak it was 13.66 @lb/min at 5254 rpm after that rpm it starts to drop downa little and is lower by 1.00 after 5754 rpm.the biggest rise is between 4425 -5754 The best thing is i noticed before my car was runninng rich ..i mean around .96,.98.1.01..now with the addition of the headers its between .90,.92,.94..i do beleive i could get it down to .90 to be a nice stoich level across the rpm band with a safc but i may wait on the safc cause it doesnt look that bad to me rite now.A few things i noticed that is one reason why the car is quicker in the morning is the main factor that the timing is advanced up about double the stock timing at idle.I may get the $5.00 mod on ebay that attaches to the tps signal to advance the timing , i do definately feel a nice boostt 0-60 when it is advanced. I tried a experiment today using a wai mod . I took off from my cai extension pipe and added a just added 3" rubber hose running from my cone filter to the stock air scoop that mounts near the hood latch to see if that would also work for pulling in cold air just like the cold air exten does except not that being that far under tha car picking up all the dust from the floor. I noticed that it was running aroung 109 at normal cruising sppeds but when i started accel from 50-80 it changed to 83 degrees.i will try it tommorro with the cai extension on to see if here is much of a difference in airflow or temp. Any questions or comments let me know

p.s. one reason i havent tuned it down with the safc is i want to see how it runs with the 55 shot of zex first to see if the regulator boost the fpr nice so it doesnt run to lean under spray.Marco