PDA

View Full Version : Independent opinions on headers for the V6...

Black2k1GTZ
09-18-2002, 11:44 PM
I have been spending alot of time thinking which brand of headers I should go with. Now I know Chip and some other people are all about the RPW stuff...and they seem good to the untrained eye. But then we have the Kamikaze headers and a couple other brands. So I asked my friend who works for a mitsu performance shop in Chicago...they do nothing but Eclipses 3kGT's, Galants, Evo's etc. Anyways...My guy Vinnay has a 3kGT VR4 that runs 11's on street tires and pump gas!! So they know whats up...they have spent time taking apart mitsu engines and finding out what makes them work to their peak efficiency...

So I posed this question to him...What headers would be best for the 6g72 engine. And if neccesary what AFC or other parts would be neccesary to get them to work the best? This is the Email I got back from him...keep in mind that I didnt mention any brands to him what so ever...I said go out and find me some headers...

Marc-

This wasn't the easiest question to answer as I have not seen many Galant aftermarket parts around. But I found a few sets of headers and from what I saw on the websites and from what I have seen on 3g Eclipse v6's this is my "expert" opinion on the subject.
There is a company out of Australia called RPW(www.RPW.com.au) that seems to have this stuff down cold. Their Race Design Header for the Galant looks like it would give you the best bang for your $$$. I recently installed a set on a 3g eclipse and was extremely impressed with the build quality, and amount of research that has gone in to making these. There are a few other brands out there but they really didnt impress me anywhere near as much!!
As for additional mods to compliment the headers, I would recomend their Fuel Pressure Regulator unit which will flatten out the fuel curve. Also an Apex-i S-AFC wouldnt hurt, although its alot of money you could always add it on at a later date to tie in all the additional mods that we discussed earlier.
Hopefully I was of some help to you. Keep me informed if you make a decision!! Say hi to Aubrey for me...

Vinnay

Now this isnt to bash any other companies or kiss anyones ass...I asked him as an outside source who has no ties with any of the companies we have dealt with here...

Take it as you want to...but I have made my decision on what brand I am going with!!!

Marc :mg:

pinoyesv6
09-18-2002, 11:49 PM
the RPW's aren't loud either. i went over to chip's house and yea he started up his car and his car sounded a tad bit deeper than mine. but then again chip does have that aftermarket muffler and im still with OEM for now. but yea the power is there.

GTZ
09-19-2002, 03:26 AM
How much are the headers? And cost for installation?

Fishboy55
09-19-2002, 06:19 AM
I told you Marc https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif Your guy recommended the exact setup that I have, which was the same one recommended by Dave Thomas. Like your guys said, RPW has this stuff down cold!

Chip

VegasMatt
09-19-2002, 12:56 PM
Lets check out what I have now out of the list that Marc's guy mentioned.

6g72 Headers - Should be here soon
HiFlow Cat - Should be here soon
Rising FPR - Should be here with Headers
Apexi AFC - On my shelf collecting dust

It should be interesting when I get mine all hooked up. I am getting excited about how much power should be added to my Galant.

Marc,
If you are coming to LV and do not have the headers on your car yet for the Nov. 9th meet, you are more than welcome to try mine out. Thats if I get them by then.
Matt

Black2k1GTZ
09-19-2002, 01:03 PM
Sounds good Matt...thanks for the offer!! Ive already spoken to him about the exhuast system after the headers. He desighned a nice setup to compliment the 6 pack throttle body and all the other mods...Im gonna be going dual exhuast..hopefully!! Not 100% sure though...

Marc :mg:

BGR
09-19-2002, 05:37 PM
Can anybody validate the cost of the Galant V6 headers from RPW? I haven't been keeping up on all the header info but this is what I've come to know - visionimports.com is one of (if not THE) distributor of RPW headers. On the V.I. website, they have the following listed:

7th & 8th Gen Galant Race Design Headers. Supplied with flex pipe.
$389 (4 cyl) $490 ( V6) plus s/h http://www.visionimports.com/Performance.html ('http://www.visionimports.com/Performance.html')

They have no price listed for the Eclipse or Stratus.

Are these the prices you paid? (Chip?)

Auto-9
09-19-2002, 06:54 PM
It was 380 with the groupbuy, but I didn't jump in at the time because I wasn't sure if I would be able to get them. Now I can but the price non-group is 490.

BGR
09-19-2002, 07:34 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rallifan)</div><div class='quotemain'>It was 380 with the groupbuy, but I didn't jump in at the time because I wasn't sure if I would be able to get them. Now I can but the price non-group is 490.</div>

And this was for? I-4 or V6? I just need to know if the $490 price on the above website is legit? Because AMSS is $710 on sale and over $800 off sale.

Auto-9
09-19-2002, 09:28 PM
V6 of course sir. As of right now my credit card statement shows 490.

mochanges
09-19-2002, 09:56 PM
I called Vision Imports today and the total price I was quoted was $740 shipped. That was for the V6 headers, high flow cat, and jet coat. I mentioned I would want an AFR, and he said they could probably work some type of discount out.

-Mohammad

Mitsiman
09-20-2002, 05:22 AM
:oops:

I'm blushing here but firstly, thank you to everyone who has stood by our products. Again not bashing anyone else's products here.

I also would like to apologise to those who have waited and waited and waited ...... I know its been a long time on some of these products especially the V6 units but we aim to please as they say.

And finally, if anyone has placed an order with us and we have forgetton it etc, please bear with us as we are attempting to hire another staff member in the office to cope with both local and international orders as my desk at this moment is overflowing with papework.

Also if you need to ask me a question now we have a permament Internett line setup so my microsoft messenger and ICQ is always on line.

David Thomas
www.rpw.com.au

SinSere
09-25-2002, 09:13 PM
I too am very interested in the headers. I am curious what the FPR does though. If you have a FPR and a S-AFC, what is the difference. Don't both regulate air-fuel mix to optimize the performance of the headers. Anyway, now that I have a job, this upgrade is at the top of my list so I would like to know the price with high flow cat, FPR, and probably coating as well. I would love to join another group buy if one arises too. Anyways i will wait and see how the new ones fit with other members and will look forward to placing an order after I get a definate price on them as well.

TJC
09-25-2002, 10:15 PM
David Thomas, can you please clerify for everyone what this includes. I know there are lots of different configurations out there and hence the big price differences from different vendors.

i.e. the ones from AMSS is headers and downpiping all the way to the main cat which is replaced by the HFC that's included. Kamakazi's is just the header/collector and stops there.

TJC
09-26-2002, 01:30 AM
Thanks David!