PDA

View Full Version : "Manual" shifting with an automatic

Auto-9
09-19-2002, 07:52 AM
What makes this more stressful on the tranny than letting it shift on its own in D? When one attempts this should they keep the pedal to the floor during shifts or let up while shifting...the auto makes for one intriguing little piece of equipment...

Nick VR4
09-19-2002, 08:09 AM
mainly because your deciding when you should go to the next gear
that can put stress on the AT
If a AT overheats it can cause major internal damage
I can understand not using Over drive at times depending on road speed
The AT has been set up to change at certain speeds etc
Leaving it in 1 2 or 3 and pushing for that little extra power acellaration out can cause a lot of damage and $$$$$$$

I guess it does depend how long you leave it before you change up
I have the tiptronic AT and that has built in logic so i can't try and go from 5th to 2nd at high speed
Normal AT's dont have this logic so you can blow a AT very easily

Cheers Nick

Gilhuly
09-19-2002, 10:55 AM
By the same token, a lot of what goes into the specs for the electronically controlled A/T is driven by fuel economy - trying to get the car from 3rd to 4th as soon as possible for example and this is very hard on the torque converter constantly trying to shift at 2000rpm. I regularly travel in traffic in 3rd intil I'm clearly going to get above 45 MPH and will drop into D at 45 or so. take foot off gas for a second and it drops right in putting less stress on the TC and the tranny. Coming off the gas when doing this is what will take stress off the tranny and torque converter. If you are on top of the gas the whole time you'll burn up the TC and potentially damage the tranny.

Auto-9
09-19-2002, 02:22 PM
We can't turn overdrive on/off in the 8Gs correct?

Gilhuly
09-19-2002, 02:53 PM
Far as I know... Nick's stuff always throws me.

cdaw2001ES
09-19-2002, 05:01 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>We can't turn overdrive on/off in the 8Gs correct?</div>

Sure you can, Just switching between 3rd and 4th.
4th is the overdrive. Driving in 3rd still gives you 1 and 2 as needed.

Reelax
09-19-2002, 06:21 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Nick VR4)</div><div class='quotemain'>...

I guess it does depend how long you leave it before you change up
I have the tiptronic AT and that has built in logic so i can't try and go from 5th to 2nd at high speed Â*
Normal AT's dont have this logic so you can blow a AT very easily Â*

Cheers Nick</div>

actually our trannies (at least on the US 8G V6) do have lockouts just like triptronic... you cannot downshift into first manually (even if you put the shifter there) at over 25mph. also you cannot drop to second manually (and obviously 1st) at over 80mph. so w/ this lock out, it is not possible to fry the tranny and over-rev by dropping from 4rth-1st at speed... the tranny won't do it, even if the shifter is dropped into that slot. the downshift will only happen if the speed allows for each gear. funny thing is that 1st gear runs to 45mph but you cannot manually drop to 1st when ur going 30mph... this is such a stupid design.

Auto-9
09-19-2002, 06:51 PM
Lucky...my first gear won't let me go past 29

Reelax
09-19-2002, 06:57 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rallifan)</div><div class='quotemain'>Lucky...my first gear won't let me go past 29</div>

really? it should... start at 0mph and drop ur shifter all the way back to 1st... you should be able to run all the way to 45mph before bouncing off the rev limiter. if u do the same thing in 2nd, hitting revlimiter happens at 80mph.

CcVilleES
09-19-2002, 07:18 PM
i try this little sport shifting thing and i get nothing out of it. i start off in L, and work my way up letting off the gas and shifting at 6krpm. maybe im not doing it right, but it does absolutely nothing for me. what do i need to do to get something out of this?

pinoyesv6
09-19-2002, 07:26 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(CcVilleES)</div><div class='quotemain'>i try this little sport shifting thing and i get nothing out of it. Â*i start off in L, and work my way up letting off the gas and shifting at 6krpm. Â*maybe im not doing it right, but it does absolutely nothing for me. Â*what do i need to do to get something out of this?</div>

doing this doesn't really give u more power. it just gives u more control over your car.

CRH-1
09-19-2002, 08:44 PM
If you want to shift gears manually I believe it says in the owners manuel where to shift at.

Auto-9
09-19-2002, 09:26 PM
I dunno maybe my car is screwy...it won't let me go past 29ish mph in 1.

Reelax
09-19-2002, 09:43 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(CcVilleES)</div><div class='quotemain'>i try this little sport shifting thing and i get nothing out of it. Â*i start off in L, and work my way up letting off the gas and shifting at 6krpm. Â*maybe im not doing it right, but it does absolutely nothing for me. Â*what do i need to do to get something out of this?</div>

yeah it doesn't give you more power but it does give you control of where in the power band you are at any given speed. our 6G72 engines are strongest after around 4000rpm (well mine anywy but i suspect my mods have moved my "sweet spot higher in the rpm range). anyways try this little experiment some time... drive around at around 30mph in "D" and punch it... the car will either drop a gear automatically to 1st and take off or will "struggle" through 2nd and accelerate. now from a dead stop lock into "L" which is 1st gear and leave it there... now bring it up to 30 slowly and then hover at 30mph. you should really feel the engine working (high revs) as well as engine braking as you modulate the throttle (gas pedal) now punch it till you hit 45mph then upshift to second (push the shifter forward 1 notch) while still flooring it. redline should come up at around 45mph in 1st and then again at 80mph in 2nd. you should feel a big difference between doing this in "D" and doing this in "L". when ur in "D" at a steady 30mph you have to wait for the car to downshift (cuz u'll actually b in 3rd even 4rth gear) whereas if you are allready in a low gear (1st in this case), when you punch it the acceleraton is immediate.

TJC
09-19-2002, 11:46 PM
Yeah, Reelax is right about keeping the engine revved until redline so you can reach 40 mph in first.

I can only go to 40 mph B4 I reach redline.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rallifan)</div><div class='quotemain'>I dunno maybe my car is screwy...it won't let me go past 29ish mph in 1.</div>

It also depends on your mods. It's possible that different ppl with different mods change how fast they reach redline which also will affect what speed you reach the redline. So 29 mph may be so for you Rallifan and Reelax can do 45 mph while I can get to 40 mph.

Gspeedvr42k1
09-20-2002, 12:26 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Reelax)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rallifan)</div><div class='quotemain'>Lucky...my first gear won't let me go past 29</div>

really? it should... start at 0mph and drop ur shifter all the way back to 1st... you should be able to run all the way to 45mph before bouncing off the rev limiter. if u do the same thing in 2nd, hitting revlimiter happens at 80mph.</div>

Wrong! i do it everyday its first nature to me, 33 at rev limiter, u can not drop gears when past 80 under 80 u can go from D to 3 if u go from D or 3 to L (1) the computer wont let u till it hits the safe Rpm limit 1500, that goes for every gear, sprotshifitng your automatic will not harm anything thats y ur computer controls everything so u dont blow ur engine or ur tranny, y do u think they make sportshifting plates for automatics? yea... dont worry bout ut, at 75 u should be roughly 3500 rpm wait till the rpm go down to 1500 in 3rd gear drop to second and so on 1500 rpm is safe no harm down puts a tinnnnnnny bit of stress on pistons and rods cause of the quick change... TC no harm done thats what it there for thats its job, going up different story, start in L (1) slam on gas hit red line get off gas shift fast into 2 slam gas and so on, doing this for 7 months non stop had my tranny checked this monring, no ware at all everything is in tip top shape car runs well, if u sport shift it a coupkle times ur ECU sets it self to MORE quicker and more aggressive shifts while only using the car in D!

TJC
09-20-2002, 01:59 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Gspeedvr42k1)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Reelax)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rallifan)</div><div class='quotemain'>Lucky...my first gear won't let me go past 29</div>

really? it should... start at 0mph and drop ur shifter all the way back to 1st... you should be able to run all the way to 45mph before bouncing off the rev limiter. if u do the same thing in 2nd, hitting revlimiter happens at 80mph.</div>

Wrong! i do it everyday its first nature to me, 33 at rev limiter, u can not drop gears when past 80 under 80 u can go from D to 3 if u go from D or 3 to L (1) the computer wont let u till it hits the safe Rpm limit 1500, that goes for every gear, sprotshifitng your automatic will not harm anything thats y ur computer controls everything so u dont blow ur engine or ur tranny, y do u think they make sportshifting plates for automatics? yea... dont worry bout ut, at 75 u should be roughly 3500 rpm wait till the rpm go down to 1500 in 3rd gear drop to second and so on 1500 rpm is safe no harm down puts a tinnnnnnny bit of stress on pistons and rods cause of the quick change... TC no harm done thats what it there for thats its job, going up different story, start in L (1) slam on gas hit red line get off gas shift fast into 2 slam gas and so on, doing this for 7 months non stop had my tranny checked this monring, no ware at all everything is in tip top shape car runs well, if u sport shift it a coupkle times ur ECU sets it self to MORE quicker and more aggressive shifts while only using the car in D!</div>

Uh.............NO! Reelax has a V6 and 3rd gear will go to 115 mph!

Auto-9
09-20-2002, 10:47 AM
Aye I also knew about 3rd gear's 115 top since I can consistently hit that during dynos.

Gspeedvr42k1
09-20-2002, 12:07 PM
hahaha ok

Gspeedvr42k1
09-20-2002, 12:07 PM
3rd 65 to 110 4th 111 to some of u 121 and others 128 129 feel stupid

Reelax
09-20-2002, 01:20 PM
gspeed don't u have a JDM galant or is that another guy? the A-spec 8G ESV6 has 4 forward gears and 1 reverse. if yours is a JDM VR4, you have 5 forward gears... 1st running to around 30mph makes sense in that car. we did some research back in the day (a few years ago) and the JDM VR4 and the US ES V6 have very close final drive ratios; the only problem is we only have 4 gears and the JDM's have 5 even in AT. so to end up at close to the same final ratio our 4 gears are very wide... especially 1st gear, as the US version was meant for sedate drivers. that is why we have a tranny that is geared to run to 45mph in 1st but drops like a rock below the sweet spot of the power band (4000rpm to 6000rpm) on the shift to second at around 45mph-50mph. appreciable power is again available at around 60mph+ when ur back in the meat of the powerband in 2nd gear. try accelerating in the US spec V6 from 0-80mph. there are very noticible holes in the power delivery from 0-25mph and from 45-60mph where the car almost "struggles". this is because of our wide gearing and the lack that fifth gear... the one that should have been put below 1st pushing the newly made 2nd gear up a little.

Auto-9
09-20-2002, 05:09 PM
Righties well I went driving around today all the time in 3, and I don't know if it's just in my head or what, but the car feels smoother and stronger...the shifts are quite different and the response is also better. In my head or is this how it's suppose to work?

TJC
09-20-2002, 07:02 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rallifan)</div><div class='quotemain'>Righties well I went driving around today all the time in 3, and I don't know if it's just in my head or what, but the car feels smoother and stronger...the shifts are quite different and the response is also better. In my head or is this how it's suppose to work?</div>

Well, as Reelax says in the posts up there some where or alluded to it; the further down you start (or as in manual shifting), the tranny doesn't have to step down all the way from the top in 4th gear. i.e. so if you were doing 50 mph in 4th, and you suddenly floor it....... you may step down to 2nd or it may just step down one gear to 3rd b/c both are possible. However if you started in 3rd and floored it, it doesn't have to guess your intentions and just goes down one gear to 2nd.

Theoretically, it checks the TPS and the speed and should know which gear to throw you into but also b/c of the built in safety, etc., etc., it may be stepping one gear at a time to go easier on your tranny. I'm not sure exactly how it works but something like that definitely keeps your tranny second guessing your intentions.

Auto-9
09-20-2002, 07:37 PM
I see...less confusion for the computer when deciding which gear to select eh?