PDA

View Full Version : Snow chains on Galant ?

sshh
12-23-2003, 12:50 PM
Hi

What about snow chains on Galant ? Manual says "no chains for you". Is it true ? Aren't there some kind of thin chains that will fit ? What should I get ?

CustomMotto
12-23-2003, 08:52 PM
get studded tires works for me https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

Elwenil
12-23-2003, 09:04 PM
Chains would be a no no, but if you tried anything, try cables. The problem with chains and cables is that no matter what sort of tensioners you put on them, they are always a little loose. Centrifugal forces always try to sling the damn thing off, and it always has a little slack. This slack can get caught in the suspension or the fender, brakes, etc. Most likely in my mind would be the strut. Can you imagine going down an icy road and suddenly your chains/cables get wrapped around your strut, locking up the wheel? Not good. Studded tires as mentioned above would be your best bet, followed by cables, as they are lighter, and less prone to get wrapped around anything. Personally, I wouldn't recommend any sort of chain or cable on a car. When they come loose (and believe me, they will) they will tear up your fenders real bad. Just my .02