PDA

View Full Version : How to get around the governor?

emagdnim2100
12-31-2003, 12:36 PM
I hit my governor for the first time last night, around 125, i believe.. I hate it. On principle. Is there any way to get around it without seriously affecting your car's performance?

peanotation
12-31-2003, 12:37 PM
it wont affect your cars performance if its in or not, except for the top speed of course. i'm not sure how to get it out though :?

Faction
12-31-2003, 12:38 PM
standalone ECU :wink:
or a 99 Galant ECU.

pinoyesv6
12-31-2003, 02:53 PM
i wouldn't worry about the governor. just keep it there. so far the options to get it removed are kinda prciey. i'd worry more about getting to the governor faster than getting it removed. also i'd worry about the safety issue. travelling at speeds that the governor is at is dangerous enough. removing it and then running it more dangerously, like exceeding the tire's speed rating can cause an evem more hazardours situation.

HeadAche
01-02-2004, 03:57 PM
Like my boy Faction said either run a standalone or use the 99 Ecu.. I myself am running a basic Motec standalone which in turn has no govenor at all.. the weird thing about it, ive never had to go any faster than 105mph, o well..

VegasMatt
01-02-2004, 04:42 PM
99 ECU is what I got.

No limits on the speed. Not that I go 133 on a daily basis...just every other day. :twisted:

emagdnim2100
01-02-2004, 09:06 PM
The '99 ECU going to give me any problems on my '02? And what's the installation like?

pinoyesv6
01-02-2004, 09:45 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(emagdnim2100)</div><div class='quotemain'>The '99 ECU going to give me any problems on my '02? And what's the installation like?</div>

the 99 ecu and the 2k2 ecu are different. before you even buy the 99 ecu, i suggest you get a hold of a service manual of both the 99 and the 2k2. more specifically the pin diagram of the 99 and the 2k2. and see what are the differences and what are the differences. teh 2k2 has alot more features than the 99 galants had. working aroudn the ecu is a btich. if you're gonna have to do some spicing or whatever, i suggest you take out the passenger side seat. the ecu is down around the blower motor, or in other words behind the glovebox. when i installed my a/f gauges i had to sit upside down in the seat to get to the ecu. but if you're gonna spend more time up there, i'd removed the seat and lie down on your back on the floor. maybe put a cushioned board on the floor, to make things more comfortable for you.