PDA

View Full Version : Auto transmission help

emagdnim2100
12-31-2003, 01:21 PM
It's going to be a good long while before I can afford to do a manual transmission swap. If I drop in forged internals, etc, and up the redline, is there any way I can mod my transmission to shift at higher RPMs?

01GalantLSV6
12-31-2003, 10:00 PM
youd have to make additions to your tranny or change it, torque converter? just a thought. of course im sure theres a way to up the shifting RPM without changing the actual moving parts, but then youd run a high risk of shitting out your tranny.

Stewi
01-01-2004, 06:29 PM
Its honestly not even worth working over the auto tranny. How much power are you running ? Your best bet is to get an aftermarket tranny cooler to keep things running cooler inside the tranny, heat is the enemy. The amount of money it would cost for "forged" internals aitn worth it. Ask anyone on here who has the Level Ten tranny upgrade, its like $3,000 and the tranny still craps out. If your like drag racing it, just give yourself about 20 minutes between runs, this will give the tranny some more time to cool down. Its just like having a 5speed and repeatedly launching and launching and eventually the clutch burns up.

Gilhuly
01-01-2004, 09:45 PM
Level Ten does have this shiftronic add on

http://www.levelten.com/store/import/items..._shiftronic.htm ('http://www.levelten.com/store/import/items/electronics/import_shiftronic.htm')

I don't know for sure whether this would work on a Galant - we are electronically controlled tranny though.

01-02-2004, 07:18 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(emagdnim2100)</div><div class='quotemain'>It's going to be a good long while before I can afford to do a manual transmission swap. If I drop in forged internals, etc, and up the redline, is there any way I can mod my transmission to shift at higher RPMs?</div>
If you're doing all that work, you might as well just go with a manual swap. Doesn't really seem worth it to me to be building up your bottom end and head and then you can't even get all that power to the wheels...
Oh, and don't think your forged internals are "drop-in." It's not that easy. :wink:

Wolfman
01-02-2004, 08:11 PM
level ten is a love hate thing. Some like it some don't its all up to the person doing it.

emagdnim2100
01-02-2004, 09:04 PM
Dropping them in was just a figure of speech - I expect to spend MANY long hours working on my engine, especially since I know next to nothing about it right now https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif I'm interviewing for a job at a local shop this week, so I should start learning for real soon. Assuming I get it https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

Elwenil
01-02-2004, 11:06 PM
Nahhh, dropping them in is as good a way of describing it as any other. Engine building isn't hard, and it isn't rocket science. Once you get the hang of it, you can do it in a few hours. Main thing is keep everything clean. No dirt, lint, excess lube or anything. Be neat, and don't skip anything or take shortcuts. Get a service manual for the car/engine you are building and read everything about engine tear down and rebuild before starting, and refer back to it often. Research what special tools you will need before you start and get them. Gather everything together before you start. All the parts, tools, chemicals, etc. One good tip is to have an air compressor and air gun handy. That and a case of brake cleaner can keep everything nice and spotless. Use a good quality assembly lube like Sealed Power's green snot. Torque everything to spec, and recheck it. Follow the torque sequence to keep from cracking anything. Prelube your oil system if possible, and double check everything before first fire-up. Once you do a couple engines, it will be automatic, and you can do it in your sleep. Just always remember to double check yourself, and keep everything super clean. If you can't wipe a clean white rag in the bores and it come out spotless, you haven't got it clean yet. "Dandy" Dick Landy once said, "Cleanliness is next to Godliness," when speaking of engine rebuilding and he was right. It's a piece of cake. :wink:

werperp
10-18-2006, 03:51 AM
Hmm. Second thoughts of torque convertor....i wonder if its really worth the 300-400.

underated
10-18-2006, 10:53 AM
i'm about to buy a seperate auto trans gut it and send every metal piece to get cryo treated... i just got one of rezlo's torque converters, going to have the valve body redone for more firm shifts... then try to get ahold of the paddle shifters made for the 2g auto eclipse. should make for one nice transmission setup... most likely a lsd if it falls into the budget if not does anybody know if the insert like peano has will work with our transmission

lonestar22
10-18-2006, 02:44 PM
you wouldnt have to go far with getting forged internals. everything cept the pistons are forged already in the 4G64