PDA

View Full Version : 18" Wheel Sideeffects?

mike969mb
01-02-2004, 08:14 PM
What problems will I have if i use 225/40/18 tires instead of the recommended 225/35/18 tires. I want to use 40 size tires to help protect the rim and have tread last longer, but i know it changes the diameter of the wheels. By using the 40 size tires, how much do I throw off the speedometer and odometer on the car? And is this the only effect.

Thanks,
mike

Wolfman
01-02-2004, 08:19 PM
I've only noticed that I'm about 3 miles a hour faster than what my speedo reads. Nothin as far as rubbing is a concern as long as you keep yur offset near +42, even when I drop I doubt I'll have problems.

pinoyesv6
01-02-2004, 08:45 PM
the diamater of the wheel changes about a quarter of an inch bigger than stock. so you should be fine. the tire calculator says that if you're speedo reads 60 mph, you're really traveling about 60.5 mph. speedo readings would be about .8% too slow.

mike969mb
01-02-2004, 08:57 PM
Thanks guys, so basically that isn't nothing to worry about affecting the car, if anything will help it say i have less mileage on the car slightly. Who's says you can't beat new speedometers, haha jk.

The rims i wanna get are HP Racing EVO rims but i don't know the offset and haven't tried to find it out yet, hopefully should be in that range that will not rub. Rubbing killed me on my other car, one of those annoying things.

Hopefully later this month i'll be getting my rims, even with parents who say why must you always go and spend all that money on your car, why can't you leave it stock. They just don't understand.

Thanks again,
mike