PDA

View Full Version : trunk mod?

Z
01-03-2004, 12:48 AM
hey i got a question for yall, you know how the trunk raises when you open it, what would i need to make it open backwards? if you don't know what i mean, have you seen some cars where they cut the trunk. a big part of the trunk opens normal and then a little part opens towards you. well i'm trying to make my whole trunk open towards me.

Wolfman
01-03-2004, 01:08 AM
may I ask why?

Z
01-03-2004, 02:04 AM
sure you may ask, just for looks. kinda like the vettes hoods open towards you, that how i want the trunk to open up

Elwenil
01-03-2004, 02:10 AM
You would just need some special hinges. What I call "J" hinges. Kinda like what's on the trunk now. They let the trunk move up, and out a little to keep everything from hitting eachother. It could be done, would just take a little figuring to get the geometry of the hinges right. Might be kewler with a power opening set up though. Latch would need a little work too. Something like a hood latch set up might work nicely. Just my .02

01-03-2004, 02:21 AM
and you would get into your trunk how? if the thing opens up backwards, don't you think it'd be kinda hard to put stuff in it? :?

Elwenil
01-03-2004, 02:34 AM
True, but that's beside the point when you are wanting something different for shows. Gullwing doors are a serious pain in the ass to deal with, but peeps still want Lambos and want to convert other cars to use them. It's all crazy, but that's the point I guess. I always thought the backward opening hoods were really stupid, cuz it cuts down on your access to the engine, but a lot of cars have them. I guess I'll have to fight a hood like that when I get my JDM Celica in a bit... 8)

Z
01-03-2004, 10:32 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ScootinIntegra)</div><div class='quotemain'>and you would get into your trunk how? if the thing opens up backwards, don't you think it'd be kinda hard to put stuff in it? :?</div>

i guess you havent seen pics of my trunk eh. i have a big ass sub box and right now i can't put much in the trunk. i'm planning on putting another hughe JL W7 in the trunk and getting a custom set up. so yeah, my trunk wont be used to store or put things in.