PDA

View Full Version : Engine swaps 9G to 8G

The 99 Galant
01-03-2004, 08:53 AM
OK, as much as i look at the 9G i just can't bring myself to like it. I HATE the new headlights on it. They are so ugly its not even funny. If you put it next to the new Maxima they look almost identical. I just hate the new styling of all the imports. If they continue in their current styling direction i'm definitely going European. The one thing i like about the new 9G is the V-6 engine. 230/256 hp/torque at the fly is good. At th wheels that is still a good amt of power. I was wondering if anyone knew that that engine would fit into a 8G V-6, like the GTZ or LS. I love the styling of the 8G but would like to see if the engines are swappable. I know you can take the MIVEC engines from the new Mirages and swap them into earlier models. Or how hard is it to swap the VR4 engine into a 8G. Is the VR4 engine the same as that 3000GT? I forget, i haven't been paying too much attention to import engines much more, i like the Euro engines, SL55 AMG and the BMW M-3...

akiraflux
01-03-2004, 01:49 PM
very doubtful. in fact i think i remember a thread about this a while ago...and they said same thing. it's possible...but a bigger pain than other swaps.

cremeans2326
01-03-2004, 02:20 PM
from what I was told by a tech at mitsu, the vr4 is turned 90 from the sohc v6 in the 8g. so a simple swap...no way. just keep your 8g, run sds, and everything forged you can get, then bottle it with 150 shot. then you can get those 1/4s into the 12s :oops: :oops: :oops:

8ggalant
01-03-2004, 04:58 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cremeans2326)</div><div class='quotemain'>from what I was told by a tech at mitsu, the vr4 is turned 90 from the sohc v6 in the 8g. Â*so a simple swap...no way. Â*just keep your 8g, run sds, and everything forged you can get, then bottle it with 150 shot. Â*then you can get those 1/4s into the 12s Â*:oops: Â*:oops: Â*:oops:</div>

id hope so since headache has gotten therr with a 4cly galant with built block and turbo....this swap is a total waist of time...now if you wanna be different then hey money will get u anything....the twinturbo 6a13tt would be the pheasable swap imo for a v6 g and the lacer evo 4-8 4g63t motors are a pheasible swap for 4cly 8gs (one is already complete)

The 99 Galant
01-04-2004, 04:40 PM
i don't want a racer car, i just want something that can keep up with the newer G's. I don't want to be outdone by a crappy looking 9G. So what motors could go into the V6 8G. When i get the money or time to get one i'll get a 8G GTZ. I did see a couple 8G GTZ's that were turbo'd but the G's aftermarket support is limited. SO i was going to try and see if a motor could be swapped into the 8G's that have better aftermarket support.

ChikagoGTZ
01-04-2004, 04:46 PM
If I had the money, I'd buy a 91 or 92 VR-4, put ES emblems on it, 14 inch rims, and run it into a tree a few times for effect, that's a sleeper baby!

verywhite01
01-05-2004, 02:34 AM
I dont know of anyone who has done a sucessful VR-4 swap and I am not even sure of the sucessful Evo to Galant swap.

The swap from the 9g to the 8g is not worth the time or money for the little horse power you will get, like they have said for the money you can do a full engine upgrade and have you choice of turbo or SDS for the cash you will shell out to get that engine to work ion the 8g.

8ggalant
01-05-2004, 04:45 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(verywhite01)</div><div class='quotemain'>I dont know of anyone who has done a sucessful VR-4 swap and I am not even sure of the sucessful Evo to Galant swap. Â*

The swap from the 9g to the 8g is not worth the time or money for the little horse power you will get, like they have said for the money you can do a full engine upgrade and have you choice of turbo or SDS for the cash you will shell out to get that engine to work ion the 8g.</div>

as i just said...if u wanna be faster than the new 9gs u DO NOT have to do a motor swap...do u realize how much thats gonna cost...the same if not more than a turbo kit or sds....i dont wanna race car either...but to get my far to run at a reliable 200-225 whp i have to build my motor cuz i dont trust our weak internals matched with my turbo system...being faster costs money...but i wouldnt invest in doin an engine swap for a whole 10 hp maybe when u can spend the same money and get 100-150 or more hp with the boost kits out...my .02

Mante
01-16-2004, 09:32 PM
ok being the only person to take a galant vr4 into a 8g I can truely say its not that difficult SINCE you have a v6. No I did not finish, only thing I had to do is get a ems instead I got a new car lol heh. You are honestly better off getting the SDS but it says nothing for the originality aspect of modding. Yea you get whp but then you fall into the category of several members that have already done the same exact thing. As usual it all depends on how deep your pockets are and how vivid your imagination is. SDS and be one of the many boosted runners or something custom which will turn heads..hell youwill get my attention personally!

If your doing a motor swap prepare to dump excess funds into a standalone BECAUSE we are not as gifted as humdah guys, there ecu's match perfectly no extra crap like tiptronic or ayc or different layouts. get yourself a 6a12 mivec and have fun if your up to it https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif