PDA

View Full Version : DATALOGGER!!!! or what the guys at autozon do

josh_877
01-11-2004, 12:10 AM
so today i went to autozone for a little check up on my car, cause the "check engine" lights has been on for as long as i can remember, anyway they connect the wires by the bottom of the steering wheel to read the codes or whatever and suprisingly all it says is "ERROR".
:roll:
what should i do?

MidNightRacing
01-18-2004, 05:08 PM
Hmmm... I never heard about OBDII scanners picking up a comp. code ( information) Error. Maybe they didn't connect it properly and thats y it read that I personally wouldn't trust pepboy or autozone techs. I say get it checked somewhere else, and if it still reads error just dissconect the battery for like 15 min.

galantin
01-19-2004, 08:54 PM
when i try to use my OBD-II scantool on my galant it reads "could not establish comunications with vehicle." i think that is what the autozone scantool you used is saying too. i have used it on other mitsu's and it worked fine. i dunno it must be a galant thing, if somebody has had this problem before help us out

josh_877
01-19-2004, 11:20 PM
well yesterday i went to 2 different AUTOZONES and one said that their obd2 sensors were for 96 models and up and the other one said that in order for it to work that the check engine light had to be lit up, and once again it said " LINK ERROR".

so i was thinking maybe I may have disconnected like a wire or something if it says LINK ERROR.

MidNightRacing
01-20-2004, 11:35 AM
Well 96 was mandatory ODB II and mitsu started with the galant in 94 and the scanners are better equiped to read 96 n up model OBDII. They might be doing it wrong because it wont link from what i heard to scan a OBD II below 96 you have to plug in the scanner turn on the ignition then turn it off again ( not sure if you turn it on again) but its somewhere along those lines. Did you see them doing what I described above?

josh_877
01-20-2004, 11:53 AM
nope all the guy did was plug it in and it said ERROR, what an idiot he is

Ositoyb
01-20-2004, 06:53 PM
which Autozone did you go too? i have been to different autozones here in chicago, and they've helped me out ok.

josh_877
01-20-2004, 06:55 PM
well i just went to ones that r around my burbs, so i went to one in wooddale and one in villa park

paulbunyan
01-23-2004, 01:28 PM
Autozone read my code and it actually solved my problem. I have a post in this forum back in the summer about it. I had mines scanned the same day of the galant meet at the dyno shop. I have a 97 ES

josh_877
01-23-2004, 01:32 PM
was ur check engine light on?

paulbunyan
01-26-2004, 08:13 AM
was ur check engine light on?

Yeah. Thats why I went to get it scanned. Plus my car was flooding on warm starts. The problem was a bad O2 sensor. The code for the coolant temp sensor was bad circuit and the other code was a misfire. Replaced the temp sensor and no more check engine light and no more warm start problems

rfpa1
01-26-2004, 10:12 AM
If your car is a 94/95 and early 96 ( Ithink the car was made in mid 95) the car have ODB I with the OBD2 connector. It wont work. You will need to use a diferent code reader. Also you need a diferent harness to read the codes.

BlankMan
01-26-2004, 10:38 AM
FYI for all... even though OBDII was a standard introduced in 96, that standard is limited to the connector type (J1962F) and "basic" codes only. Different manufactures implemented different communication protocols within the OBDII standard for "extended" codes specific to their vehicles.

For instance:
Mitsubishi uses the ISO 9141/14230 protocol
Buick, Chevy, GMC and others use VPW J1850
Ford, Mecury, Mazda and some others use PWM J1850.

So, what all this means is not all scan tools will read all codes on all vehicles. If the place you go to for a scan does not have one that is ISO compatible, you will not get the correct codes for your mitsu.

For more info, you can look at www.scantool.net among other sites...

J