PDA

View Full Version : How to re-active/retrive my radio

chendaoba
01-12-2004, 07:54 PM
I just replaced tranny of my 1998 galant/ES, the mechanic disconnected the battery when they replaced tranny. When they fix the car, my radio locked and showing "codeE" on the screen. Cause I bought this car from somebody as used car I did not get the manual from previous owner. And the mechanic shop does not have the code either. Can some friends help me to check out what the "codeE" means and how to retrive my radio.
Thanks a lot.

Ositoyb
01-12-2004, 10:08 PM
i believe that every radio has a different code. as for getting the code. the only way i can see you getting the code, is from the dealership. and they might charge you for the code. if thats the case, then go back to the trans shop and "demand" them to call the dealership and get the code at their expense. im not sure why they had to disconnect the radio though. i just got my trns rebuilt a fwe months ago, and as far as i know, they didnt have to remove/disconnect the radio.

ChikagoGTZ
01-12-2004, 10:11 PM
PM me the serial number off the top of the radio, I'll get it for you if my contacts have it in the system.

Ositoyb
01-13-2004, 09:45 AM
PM me the serial number off the top of the radio, I'll get it for you if my contacts have it in the system.
so sweet https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

pinoyesv6
01-13-2004, 11:20 AM
if thats the case, then go back to the trans shop and "demand" them to call the dealership and get the code at their expense. im not sure why they had to disconnect the radio though. i just got my trns rebuilt a fwe months ago, and as far as i know, they didnt have to remove/disconnect the radio.

its not gonna be the the tranny shops fault. any smart mechanic knows to disconnect the battery before doing most work on a vehicle. thats a safety thing. you don't have to disconnect the radio to reset the bad boy, you just have to kill its power source. and thats what disconnecting the battery did.

Ositoyb
01-13-2004, 12:28 PM
if thats the case, then go back to the trans shop and "demand" them to call the dealership and get the code at their expense. im not sure why they had to disconnect the radio though. i just got my trns rebuilt a fwe months ago, and as far as i know, they didnt have to remove/disconnect the radio.

its not gonna be the the tranny shops fault. any smart mechanic knows to disconnect the battery before doing most work on a vehicle. thats a safety thing. you don't have to disconnect the radio to reset the bad boy, you just have to kill its power source. and thats what disconnecting the battery did.
that doesnt always work. i remember when i installed my first system into my 7gen, first i disconneted the battery, then i had to disconnect the radio to get to the stock harness. and by disconnecting the radio my code had to be reset. so what i did was disconnect the battery after i had finished the install, and tried the radio. and nothing. so i disconnected the battery again, and nothing. so what i did was get the code. fortunately i didnt have to get it from the dealer. but the shop who worked on my car a few weeks prior had to call the dealer because they had the same problem. i guess i was fortunate.

chendaoba
01-13-2004, 02:38 PM
thank you guys and gals a lot, but does anyone can teach me how to take off the radio and check out the serial no. on top of it?

ChikagoGTZ
01-13-2004, 03:27 PM
I have an 8g so I'm not sure, I think you remove the trim around the center console and then remove 2 screws along the back holding the radio in. After that you should be able to slide the radio forward and read the Serial No. off the top. the 7g guys may know this better, or do a search on the forum.

pinoyesv6
01-13-2004, 05:24 PM
that doesnt always work. i remember when i installed my first system into my 7gen, first i disconneted the battery, then i had to disconnect the radio to get to the stock harness. and by disconnecting the radio my code had to be reset. so what i did was disconnect the battery after i had finished the install, and tried the radio. and nothing. so i disconnected the battery again, and nothing. so what i did was get the code. fortunately i didnt have to get it from the dealer. but the shop who worked on my car a few weeks prior had to call the dealer because they had the same problem. i guess i was fortunate.

what are u talking about?? i said when u disconnect the battery, you shut off its power. thus causing it to reset and put in the CODE lettering.

Ositoyb
01-13-2004, 07:28 PM

what are u talking about?? i said when u disconnect the battery, you shut off its power. thus causing it to reset and put in the CODE lettering.
i dunnno, i guess i misread you. but as for you " chendaoba " chikagoGTZ is correct, you will need to take off the the plastic piece around the radio(it has 2 screws) but first take off the piece thats around your gears. then do the 2 screws, and the center piece should come right off. now for your radio, you will have (i believe) 4 screws to remove, and the radio should come off, but remember it is also attached to the cup holder and the little storage counsle. hope this helps.

polip4
01-14-2004, 07:57 AM
I send e-mail to my dealer whit my VIN number and they send me back code for the radio and what to do because I tride put code few times and radio was locked . https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif Greg

pinoyesv6
01-14-2004, 09:46 AM
lets say the code is 2345

you press the 1 button twice, and then the 2 button 3 times the 3 button 4 times and the 4 button 5 times

and then u press the CD button to confirm that you are done.

ChikagoGTZ
01-14-2004, 10:00 AM
As soon as you get me the SN I can get you the code...