PDA

View Full Version : DIY Eyebrows

The 99 Galant
01-17-2004, 03:39 PM
ok, so i'm doing the eyebrow thing like BMW has and i've done a sample one. It's pretty good, takes a long time to get it to mold to the right shape but its pretty easy to do. Only thing i need to know is what can i use to cut the acrylic sheets so that it has a real smooth cut. I'm using a dremel with the normal little cutting piece on it but would it be better if i got the sawblade type cutter instead?

Alexey
01-17-2004, 04:15 PM
Some guys on here have eyelids made of vinyl, just an idea...

The 99 Galant
01-17-2004, 04:47 PM
nah rather keep acrylic...hold up better

pinoyesv6
01-17-2004, 07:43 PM
i use the normal cutting bit. the one thats like a drill bit. at first the actual bit will do the cutting, but after a few seconds, the heat from the bit will do the cutting. its not gonna do a super cmooth edge but its pretty clean. sanding is still necessary more than likely, if you want a finished edge.

don't use a cutting wheel. the heat from all the friction will just eat thru the cutting wheels and you won't get any cutting done.

another tip, if you don't have the lil guide thingy, is to cut towards you. yea it sounds weird but you don't have as many hot plastic chards spraying you everywhere.

The 99 Galant
01-18-2004, 12:54 AM
yeah i've cut towards me when i cut. Its easier and seems to flow better. I heard that a diamond blade will cut real fine but they cost alot. I'm not too sure what to use. Either type of bit i use causes the acrylic to clump up when it heats up from the cutting. I'm going to try it with a different blade and see what happens. It looks alright though.

jusmills
01-20-2004, 04:56 PM
you might be able to use a hot knife (its an actual tool, kinda like a heat gun but with a knife edge that gets really hot). The heat will melt/ cauterize the acrylic as you cut through it giving a smooth edge. The only thing is how steady is your hand?

pinoyesv6
01-20-2004, 06:24 PM
i've seen this hot knife. it has a pretty small blade which is good for curves and precision parts. its like a soldering iron that got an exacto knife welded to it. this one uses really exacto knife blades. but you'd want to look one that has not only a small blade but it also has to be kinda thick, not like an exacto blade cuz as soon as you cut and move the blade, the plastic will melt back together. you'd want one with a thick blade so the two cut edges can cool without touching eachother or they will cool as one.