PDA

View Full Version : Damn, I been away a while

paulbunyan
09-20-2002, 07:00 AM
Mannn,
LOL. I thought everytime I pulled up the homepage, and I never saw the 7G, 8G, etc forums that the site was down lol. Anyways, I installed a CAI (MAS Adapter from procarparts.com, Intake Pipe from AutoZone for 93-99 Civic, and Generic Cone Filter from Autozone. Oh, and a 4"-3" plumbing adapter from Home Depot.

Now, my car is STILL having warm start problems. When I pull over and turn it off, like when I get gas or something, my car wont start and when it finally does start theres a lot of black smoke like its flooding. The only mod is the CAI. When its cold it starts up fine,, or if I lewt it sit for like 10 mins. I need to get it to an AutoZone ASAP, but the closet ones are in DC and Manassas VA. I'm budgeting like crazy right now, so I probably won't get a chance to get out there till next weekend. But when I do I will post what the ECU codes tell me. Maybe someone on here will have a clue. I also need to do the timing belt (I got 75,000 miles on her so far) pretty soon. Any volunteers???

Kain
09-20-2002, 07:30 AM
Hmm, sounds like your computer is still trying to prime you for a cold start, even when the engine is already warm. Somewhat like a choke on an old carbureated car. Umm, I don't like working on electrical stuff when I can avoid it, so I really don't know what to tell you about how to go about rectifying the problem. I assume the problem is only during a warm start, meaning after you start it the problem is gone till the next time you go for a warm start? Yeah, maybe someone with a higher comfort level with auto electronics will be able to help you more. As for the timing belt, I replaced 5 this summer, and I just don't feel like doing any more. But, it's not like it's difficult. Something you can do with simple tools in your driveway in about 4 hours. I think on mine it took me around 8 hours, mostly because I was screwing around and I went inside and watched TV whenever it got too hot. Hope that helps. And welcome back.

paulbunyan
09-20-2002, 08:12 AM
Kain,
Yeah, my analysis was that it keeps flooding for some reason, I just have to figure otu WHY. When I get the ECU read I definately will post the codes. I havent been disconnecting the battery to reset the ECU anymore either lol so I know the codes are in there.

paulbunyan

jluv97
09-20-2002, 11:30 AM
Double check your work on the TB mod. If that cable it too tight it might be holding the flange open and hence causing the car to flood. Just a thought.

Jesse
09-20-2002, 11:56 AM
Josh, if that was the case, then it would rev higher at idle.

I'm wondering if the MAF/MAS is working properly. If it doesn't work or giving a wrong signal, then your ECU might not think it's there and will give it as much gas as it can, causing it to richen out. But I still don't think that sounds like the problem you're having.

paulbunyan
09-20-2002, 12:38 PM
All,
Thanks for the comments. I thought that 1st s well. I thought maybe I had the TB cable too tight and that it was letting fuel into the intake while the car was turned off, hence causing it to flood. But I loosened up my TB cable big time, to the point where I had a lil bit of slack in it and it was idling at about 6-700, but that didnt help either.

paulbunyan