PDA

View Full Version : 96 Galant is squeeling horribly?

JDNUTTTZ
09-20-2002, 11:55 AM
Yes, i have a 96 Galant and for the past month it has been Screeching and squeeling for the first 10 minutes i drive the car? I have had all the belts replaced recently, thats not it. The noise corresponds with the the flow of air coming out of the AC. Untill the noise stops the car drives like something is holding it back, it hesitates and squeels the most while im accelerating. It sounds like metal on metal. If anyone has any info on what it may be, please PLEASE reply!
Thanks
Justin

Jesse
09-20-2002, 12:01 PM
is anything leaking onto your belts? Power steering maybe? Is your power steering low?

Kain
09-20-2002, 01:17 PM
Check the tension on those belts. Even when the dealership put my belts on, they did not put them on tight enough, and I got some squeeling occasionally. In your manual there is a section that says what the belt deflection should be, but if you've ever tried to use a ruler to measure belt deflection it's nearly impossible. Just grab 'em and twist, they should go about 90 degrees. More than that, and they're too loose. Less, and they're too tight. But I'm pretty sure you've got yourself a loose belt, likely the AC belt.

asalem97
09-20-2002, 03:31 PM
I had that same exact problem for a month or so. Whenever I accelerated the car would squeel. This was right after I had all my belts replaced. Well I neglected it, and what ya know, the alternator belt snapped on me on the highway causing my car to overheat, my steering to completely tighten and eventually my battery died out. I'd say its almost definetely a belt, either defective or not on right. Get it fixed before this happens to you.

g96nt
09-20-2002, 11:16 PM
my guess
would be a seizing AC clutch

but start with belts

RMG612
09-21-2002, 10:25 AM
My car used to squeel like crazy too when i first started the car and accelerated.

So I replaced the belts and it went away for a while but came back a couple of weeks later.

Then my alternator went out and since i had it replaced ive had no problems

ChuBBs
09-21-2002, 02:10 PM
my car has been doing that for bout 6 months but i have a broken motor mount which puts alot of pressure on the pulleys causing them to bend... but it could be the tension of the belts n thing like that

QnzMostWanted
09-21-2002, 02:44 PM
yay I get to moderate https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

Moved to Car Problems

manybrews
09-21-2002, 04:06 PM
could be a failing crankshaft damper... pretty common on the 2.4 liter.

could also be a siezing ac clutch, but chances are the belt would probably break in just a minute if if was slipping over a siezed clutch.

dre24k
09-24-2002, 07:09 PM
my squelling was associated with the alternator also. I got a new one and it stopped i guess theyreplaced the belts too at the dealership.

pinoyesv6
09-24-2002, 07:34 PM
check out the pulleys too...tehy can go bad too

galAZNt
09-25-2002, 12:54 PM
I got the answer to this. It is your harmonic balancer. Its the pulley with 2 tracks at the bottom coming out of the engine. Its a very common problem with mitsubishis, the pulley is a 2 piece glued together by some rubber and when it gets old the 2 pieces separate and rub causing a terrible noise. Thats a OEM only part, $120. and 10% off if you are a DSM member. Fairly easy to replace if u got the tools. Don't drive in the rain or through puddles or your sh*t will fall apart causing the belts to pop out. It happened to me!!

manybrews
09-25-2002, 05:19 PM
I got the answer to this. It is your harmonic balancer. Its the pulley with 2 tracks at the bottom coming out of the engine. Its a very common problem with mitsubishis, the pulley is a 2 piece glued together by some rubber and when it gets old the 2 pieces separate and rub causing a terrible noise.

thats what i already said.

Anson
12-01-2002, 11:30 AM
could anybody please tell me where at in the engine compartment I could locate this pulley to inspect it? If you could tell me where it is in reference if I was standing in front of the car that would be nice.

I have a similar problem I think and I really really don't want to take this to the dealership because I have no money

Thanks for any help I can get

96TEXASgalant
12-01-2002, 12:38 PM
I read all the threads and I just want to add this little bit. Make sure you allow your car to warm up properly!!! You mentioned it only does it for 10 mins. or so, that's probably because it hasn't warmed up. My car makes a few noises when i first start it up, but after I let it warm up (AT IDLE, not revving it) the noises stop. There could still be a problem, I just thought I'd drop my 2.

queball
12-21-2002, 02:31 AM
Same her mine sqwels for a few minutes when its first started in the cold, ive got all my belts tight as hell and even replaced them, ive also checked all my pullys and they turn nice and free by hand so i don't know whats causeing the sqweking or why it only does it in the cold but it sure is embarasing and im sure that what ever belt it is its probley time to replace it again..

cantbeatmy97
12-21-2002, 02:00 PM
tighten up the belts the a/c 1 in general mine did that too if not tighten up the alternator 1 there manual tensions so they come loose over time

queball
01-05-2003, 11:15 PM
Well i found my sqwel hopefully my altenator belt was kind loose I tightened it up so i hope that stops the squeling

ThaiAngel
02-03-2003, 04:04 PM
my car also squeels and was wondering how and where i can register to become a "DSM member. is there a link or some website? Is there a fee when registering? thanks

ThaiAngel

graphitegalant
03-02-2003, 02:29 AM
Make sure when you guys get your belts done that you take it to a mechanic that has worked on a mitsubishi before. I had a terrible time with squeling belts when I got them replaced (at a chrysler delership where I worked). It actually destroyed my alternator belt after it was fixed the first time. They fixed it the second time and it still squeeled like mad. So I took it to one of the guys i used to work with (who used to be a mitsubishi mechanic) and he found that the tensioner was not tightened the correct way. Have never had a problem since. Apparently on the 7g's the tensioner on the alternator belt is not a normal type (what my friend told me.) Anyways I hope this post helps. Peace.

DJRINC18
03-10-2003, 08:56 PM
It is the alternator pulley. I have the same problem. If you watch the pulley while the car is running you'll probably notice it wobble a little. Time for a new one!