PDA

View Full Version : Moving the battery to the trunk

99DE
09-20-2002, 11:56 AM
To get closer to a 50-50 weight distribution, do you think moving the battery to the trunk will be benificial? I noticed some higher end cars have this done. Sounds good to me, but the cost might outweigh any benefits.

Reelax
09-20-2002, 12:37 PM
the battery doesn't weigh enough for this to make a difference. those cars w/ the battery in the back are usually if not always front engine, rear wheel drive, wich means that their transmission is in the middle of the car and to the rear of the engine... our tranny sits under the engine. now if you could moe the tranny to drive the rear wheels, well that would help w/ weight distribution. the battery only weighs like 10-20lbs.

Ghost Beat
09-20-2002, 02:29 PM
ya what relax said is right the battery dosent weigh that much at all so not realy worth it i was thinking about doing it for the system still might...

Lazarus
09-21-2002, 10:27 AM
Yeah. The only I could see you doing it if you have a, I think it's calld a watter to air intercooler like on the V6 turbo. Hold on looking for picture....
AHHH HERE WE GO.VUALA

http://www.xtecheng.com/projects/6G72/3G_after.jpg

Bigg Boi
09-22-2002, 11:25 AM
Wait...how do you put a battery in the other end of the car without have the battery not recharge itself? I was wondering a couple days ago how to add another battery soely for my stereo system since it takes up so much voltage. (the truck we had before the Galant had two batteries and we didn't have the dimming lights problem.) I figure that another battery would be efficient than a capacitor.

Lazarus
09-22-2002, 03:12 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bigg Boi)</div><div class='quotemain'>Wait...how do you put a battery in the other end of the car without have the battery not recharge itself? I was wondering a couple days ago how to add another battery soely for my stereo system since it takes up so much voltage. (the truck we had before the Galant had two batteries and we didn't have the dimming lights problem.) I figure that another battery would be efficient than a capacitor.</div>

All you need is an Isolator and alot of wire. And what it does is it distributes the currents from the Alternator to each Battery. So alternator will be powering 2 batteries but the Batteries will not be....as Hard Core as only having 1 but depending on what Kinda system you have (How many Watts and such) I have a friend who has one and with his system he has alot if issues with the lights in the Car still dimming. By the way is that your car on your Avatar?

Bigg Boi
09-22-2002, 05:12 PM
Can putting another battery be done easily at home? Also, the car in my avatar is the "Belgian Galant" that DanJ posted a while back. I just change the color from purple to candy green.

pinoyesv6
09-22-2002, 07:29 PM
hey u guys are fogetting something. especially u Laz. rembmer the eclipse has a big ass headlights in the engine bay. the galant doesn. or doesn't have as much. maybe u guys might wanna consider putting your battery to where MANTE put his

http://129.2.4.218/TGC%20Files/Member%20Files/Mante/Pictures/2.jpg

Lazarus
09-22-2002, 11:28 PM
I saw Mante's But Bigg Boi was talking about putting another Battery in the Read to replace a Cap. Me Personally If I were to Add another Battery I would leave both of them in the front. If you wanted to run another Battery in the back you could use on of these. Hold on let me go find this pic real Quick....Ok
http://images.cardomain.com/installs/182000-182999/182100_53_full.jpg
It's Hard to see But if you look at the Driverside Strut There is a little Black Box, You can't see it now but there is a little red and green Light on it and When The Light is Red It will Charge the Battery up front (Batteries are like in the Wheel Well on Stratus's) But when the light flips to green It's Charging the Light in the trunk. I hope this answered your Question. I may be misunderstanding it I don't know.

pinoyesv6
09-22-2002, 11:36 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Lazarus)</div><div class='quotemain'>I saw Mante's But Bigg Boi was talking about putting another Battery in the Read to replace a Cap. Me Personally If I were to Add another Battery I would leave both of them in the front. If you wanted to run another Battery in the back you could use on of these. Hold on let me go find this pic real Quick.</div>

looks like u can fit two batteries in the engine bay...have one in the oem location and where mante has his. hell, the second battery doesn't have to big battery anyways since it wouldn't be the primary starting battery

Lazarus
09-22-2002, 11:51 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pinoyesv6)</div><div class='quotemain'>
looks like u can fit two batteries in the engine bay...have one in the oem location and where mante has his. hell, the second battery doesn't have to big battery anyways since it wouldn't be the primary starting battery</div>

LOL Yeah the only set back is you have to have a CAI to do it.

pinoyesv6
09-22-2002, 11:54 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Lazarus)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pinoyesv6)</div><div class='quotemain'>
looks like u can fit two batteries in the engine bay...have one in the oem location and where mante has his. hell, the second battery doesn't have to big battery anyways since it wouldn't be the primary starting battery</div>

LOL Yeah the only set back is you have to have a CAI to do it.</div>

a set back. thats a good reason to get a CAI lol. or convert your short ram to a cai

NVR-ENUF
10-01-2002, 10:23 PM
remember the second batt is only as good as the other 1st