PDA

View Full Version : Hybrid possible?

Ryan4g64
01-27-2004, 04:00 PM
is it possible for me to hook up a dohc head on my 4g64 block?

josh_877
01-27-2004, 04:12 PM
yes, dohc heads dont use a distributer, our sohc heads do, so u will have to convert to coil packs. you need the complete head gasket, you have to fill 4 water holes on the block because the dohc head does not cover 4 of those holes completely, you need a 94 gs timing belt, besides 94 gs intake mani or a 4g63t intakemani (with gasket of course). 94 gs dohc headers would be the same as sohc headers

bronxbombr
01-27-2004, 06:06 PM
Do a search and you shall find more answers

TurboGalant
01-28-2004, 09:56 AM
barnone motorsports has a lot of info you might want. try a search engine.

Ryan4g64
01-28-2004, 12:39 PM
would it be worth it to do the work?

stryker204
01-30-2004, 12:04 PM
actually its 5 water holes, u can use the stock galant intake mani if u choose, and u can use a 4g63 head gasket if u want to.....

and yes, its very worth it.....suposidly u gain a nice number of TQ and HP....but this project is not cheep....

u will also have to aquire a 1g wiring harness (or 2g depending on the ECU that u buy)...because the head will not run off of the 4g64 ECU....knock sensors and dont forget the CAS if the head u buy dose not come with one....i am currently half way done with getting the parts for my car.... *pics below*:

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid87/pa3b76e5106a5f82eea34b9f70b3ef8c3/faa43200.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid87/p2bcb5b829d954b347add38db3568820c/faa432a9.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid87/pf9c90106c78d6db9481d87f9ecb413d2/faa431f7.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid90/pdb6776cc2628c9bce42ad5f1fd80c4bf/fa75ad06.jpg

Pics that i dont have up yet: Greddy FMIC, 1G wiring harness, 1G Turbo ECU, CAS, and knock sensor https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

stryker204
02-06-2004, 11:47 AM
errr....in the above post i should have said oil holes....sorry

jluv97
02-06-2004, 04:17 PM
Find a GS and you will have a 2.4L DOHC 4g64 pushing 160hp from stock.

Ryan4g64
02-07-2004, 10:24 PM
ok so all i need to do is convert to coil packs 4g63t intake mani and i can keep my exahust mani? oh and of course the dual over head so if i went and bought my rpw headers that would fit cuz im still running the same block right?

sethmo
02-07-2004, 10:32 PM
You can keep your stock exhaust manifolds, they bolt up to a DOHC head just fine. You will have to swap to a 2g ECU. You can keep the Galant wiring harness and rewire it to fit the 2g ECU...
JiPs Tutorial ('http://www.wraithnet.net/jip/ecuswap.htm')

JiP
02-08-2004, 02:59 PM
You cant use a 4g63 head gasket since the 4g63 piston bores are smaller then ours you would have to port the gasket to fit properly, this is the part numbr of the gasket i used: MD189436 I think its from a 94gs dont rememebr.

And you can not use the stock galant intake manifold, the exhaust manifold is what you can use. The intake wont bolt up, youll have to get the 1g or 2g intake depending what head you are going with.

The 5 oil holes are just drain hoels and need to be covered to prevent dirt from geting into your oil system, but you dont have to go all out to fill the holes, I simply cut aluminum soda can and cut the shapes I needed out and used some hightemp sealant to keepem down over the hole, headgasket over that, and torque the head down.

You have no choice in swapping to a 2g or 1g turbo ECU. Your better off with a 2g ecu since you wont need to then get an egnine harness. Its fairly simple to install, you have to run only 3 new wires to the ecu, and do a some rewiring under the hood to hookup the coilpacks, nothing major at all.

Also, you must purchase a knock sensor and wire it up. Without it, the turbo ecu will not give you more then 10 deg advance and your car wont really go anywhere when u give it gas.

Hodgson316
02-08-2004, 09:36 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JiP)</div><div class='quotemain'>You cant use a 4g63 head gasket since the 4g63 piston bores are smaller then ours you would have to port the gasket to fit properly, this is the part numbr of the gasket i used: MD189436 Â*I think its from a 94gs dont rememebr.

And you can not use the stock galant intake manifold, the exhaust manifold is what you can use. Â*The intake wont bolt up, youll have to get the 1g or 2g intake depending what head you are going with.

The 5 oil holes are just drain hoels and need to be covered to prevent dirt from geting into your oil system, but you dont have to go all out to fill the holes, I simply cut aluminum soda can and cut the shapes I needed out and used some hightemp sealant to keepem down over the hole, headgasket over that, and torque the head down.

You have no choice in swapping to a 2g or 1g turbo ECU. Â*Your better off with a 2g ecu since you wont need to then get an egnine harness. Â*Its fairly simple to install, you have to run only 3 new wires to the ecu, and do a some rewiring under the hood to hookup the coilpacks, nothing major at all.

Also, you must purchase a knock sensor and wire it up. Â*Without it, the turbo ecu will not give you more then 10 deg advance and your car wont really go anywhere when u give it gas.</div>

Man I heard through the grapevine that you did the headswap succesfully, but nothing from you or your site. Got any pics or anything or is that on the down low https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

JiP
02-09-2004, 12:29 AM
Bla, I got a job now so im not online 24hrs a day anymore posting....plus its winter so I havnt toucehd my car in months, headswap was the last thing I did back in Sept. and now just waiting for summer...

As far as helping people and all that...I'm sick of everyone asking the same questions over and over and over again isntead of searching and finidng old posts that have covered certain subjects 2000 times already.

I have a site on the ecu swap I think its in my signature below...but I never got around to doing a site on the headswap. Its all good, sept my tranny is giving out on me I believe, so Im not runing too great as far as high speeds go. Either the headswap killed my tranny or it was on its way out anyway....from my symptoms and what people are tellin me a good flush might clear up my problems but im too lazy and too cheap lol

Hodgson316
02-09-2004, 01:20 AM
That's cool bro. Before I even saw TGC I found out how to do the headswap, so you KNOW there is a lot of info on the web about it, and there's millions of threads about it on tgc. So which direction are you going in N/A or turbo? Sorry, had to ask https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif [/b]

JiP
02-09-2004, 08:55 PM
plan for turbo...probably not anytime soon...i kinda started to get out of the whole care thing. the plan was this:

headswap
5spd manual swap
turbo

keep the body as shitty as possible. In the past month i've managed to dent every side of the car, crack the plastic around my pass side mirror, (yet the mirror part is still there and motor works lol just no plastic around it) and I have no plans to ever fix the body, or get it painted from its currently gay color, or get a body kit etc... i like having a beat up car cause I am the guy who will smash into ur car if you dont move out the way.. my car aint worth shit...yours is =D

Hodgson316
02-09-2004, 10:01 PM
Talk about a sleeper https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

sethmo
02-10-2004, 12:19 AM
his galant is pink too :biggrin:

I want to see some updated pics of your car JiP, it sounds better than ever

JiP
02-10-2004, 12:40 AM
it looks like it just rolled out of a showroom....after being beaten with sledge hammers... =D

Actualy just started to take some datalogs for the first time since the headswap really. Never took any big logs after I swapped, and then I packed everything up and stoped touchin the car while winter came and I started my new job.

I suspect I have a big exhaust leak or a small crack in the pipe or flex section somewhere....definit tranny problems which could possibly be solved by a flush...I also think i'm in need of a new O2 sensor. I wonder if this sucker will pass emissions test...

It passed last year with no cats on the car at all....we'll find out in a month =

paulbunyan
02-12-2004, 11:36 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JiP)</div><div class='quotemain'>plan for turbo...probably not anytime soon...i kinda started to get out of the whole care thing. Â*the plan was this:

headswap
5spd manual swap
turbo

keep the body as shitty as possible. Â*In the past month i've managed to dent every side of the car, crack the plastic around my pass side mirror, (yet the mirror part is still there and motor works lol just no plastic around it) and I have no plans to ever fix the body, or get it painted from its currently gay color, or get a body kit etc... Â*i like having a beat up car cause I am the guy who will smash into ur car if you dont move out the way.. my car aint worth shit...yours is =D</div>

A man after my own heart https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif This is why I drive a big ass 1970 Oldsmobile Delta 98 when Im in a rush to get somewhere

galantin
02-13-2004, 07:59 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JiP)</div><div class='quotemain'>plan for turbo...probably not anytime soon...i kinda started to get out of the whole care thing. Â*the plan was this:

headswap
5spd manual swap
turbo

keep the body as shitty as possible. Â*In the past month i've managed to dent every side of the car, crack the plastic around my pass side mirror, (yet the mirror part is still there and motor works lol just no plastic around it) and I have no plans to ever fix the body, or get it painted from its currently gay color, or get a body kit etc... Â*i like having a beat up car cause I am the guy who will smash into ur car if you dont move out the way.. my car aint worth shit...yours is =D</div>

i like his attitude, reminds me of myself. anyway you said that the wiring was pretty easy but you have a 97, 94-95 does not have a cam sensor in the wiring diagram, it just shows the transistor, what do you do here

JiP
02-17-2004, 08:55 PM
Say what?

Every year as far back as 90 had a cam sensor. Your probably just looking at it the wrong way in ur head. A Hall Effect sensor, (magnetic pickup sensor), on a schematic is a transistor.

I am running a 97+ style cam sensor. Consists of a metal cylender that gets bolted to the intake cam shaft (which I had to tap for a screw since i'm using 1g cams), a metal housing, and a small black sensor which is the actual electric sensor. Much more reliable and easier to work with then the 1g style sensors.

The 2g style sensors werent gonna cut it for me since Im using a 1g head. 2g sensor until 97 had the trigger plate mounted to the intake cam GEAR, and the sensor bolted to the head under the cam gear. To do that on a 1g head means a lot of custom metal work...not worth the time or money.

galantin
02-17-2004, 09:21 PM
what i meant was it is intagrated into the transistor. 96+ the diagram actually says "cam sensor" with three wires coming from it, 94-95 it just shows a pic of the transistor with the reluctor wheel or trigger wheel next to it. so what has to be done if i want to keep my sohc?

JiP
02-18-2004, 12:21 PM
Dunno what shcematics your lookin at so I cant comment on what your reading.

As far as DOHC heads go, the cam sensors are completely seperate from the power transistors for your spark plugs.

SOHC is a different story, the power transistor is part of the cam sensor housing.

If I'm understanding you correctly, you want to keep your SOHC, which means you have no purpose in posting here LOL. How are you gona do a DOHC swap if your keeping SOHC?

Part of teh DOHC swap is swapping the ECU, which you have to swap afwe other components in or out with it, like the 1g/2g power transistor, coilpacks, cam sensor, knock sensor. You junk your old sohc cam sensor/distributer setup.

krazienluv10
02-18-2004, 12:33 PM
is there a big difference between the 1g mani and the stock one if i keep the same head?...

JiP
02-19-2004, 07:09 PM
Sigh..this is why I stoped posting about it lol

You cant swap intake manifolds unless you wanna do some machine work. That was discussed just a few posts above I dont know how many times people could ask the same questions!!!