PDA

View Full Version : Removing bars that hold the trunk open

EGALANT01
01-29-2004, 10:16 AM
I tried looking for this but couldn't find any info. I am having problems with the 2bars that hold open my trunk. First off I installed new 6 x 9's and the bar rubs agains the magnet now only on the right side tho. Also I have a sub box from my old car and I really didn't want to make a new one since its a sweet box I had made from my old car the problem is i can't get it to sit up striahgt with the bars there, any suggestions on what to do? I was thinking of removiing them then I woud jus have to use soemthing to prop the trunk open, but im open to any suggestions thanks.

TWISTED II
01-29-2004, 10:41 AM
hey, i had the same problem when i installed my new 6 X 9s. all i did was put a few layers of dynomat around the hole and then put the speaker ontop of it. it gave me about 1/4 - 1/2 inch of height, and it was just enough to clear those bars. as for the box, i dunno, but i wouldn't go removing those things, not suere what to do about em.

EGALANT01
01-29-2004, 11:00 AM
hmmm.. I really don't feel like takin the back seat out again and the rear deck apart, but if it comes down to it. Ill either use the dynomat or a peice of wood as a spacer. Thanks tho.

VicDamone
01-29-2004, 11:29 AM
I had the exact same problem... the 1st time I installed Polk DX9's one them rubs 1 of the bars and then I wanted to get alpine type R's and they just didnt FIT AT ALL because of the bars, so I was stuck with the polks..
I wouldnt mess with the tension bars I think they prevent the truck from SLAMMING when its up so that it just comes down slowly. :twisted:

EGALANT01
01-29-2004, 11:36 AM
Yeah I know that the bars are there to hold it open and not falling down on you, thats why im thinking if I remove them I can just use something to prop it open, even I use a peice of wood or something then eventually I could make something that looks nice to hold it up. Ill figure something out hopefully.

eric4086
01-29-2004, 11:39 AM
I had to take my bars off I have Infinity Kappa 3 ways and they were just way to big to fit so I just removed the bars and use whatever i can to hold up

EGALANT01
01-29-2004, 11:43 AM
aaah ok. how did u go about removing these those?

TWISTED II
01-29-2004, 11:54 AM
if you use anything, i would use dynomat, not wood. cuz you'll never get wood cut perfectly cuz of the weird shape and all the dips and shit back there. so it wouldn't make a good seal. i'd go dynomat.

eric4086
01-29-2004, 11:59 AM
I just had someone help me bend the bars and popped them out, it was easy

Novs The Shadow
01-29-2004, 03:54 PM
I got spacers wit my 6x9's and after puttin them in it they havent hit since.

The 99 Galant
01-29-2004, 07:57 PM
make spacers for your 6x9's or just get a good set of seperates up front and screw the rear deck. As far as the bars go, you could get actuators like KEN or jus keep the box at the front end of the trunk and not really use your trunk for storage.

Danger DANJ
01-29-2004, 08:48 PM
Yeah, I had the same problem with my Polks as well. I had my Father take a torch to the bar that was hitting the passanger rear speaker and bend the bar so it won't hit. The problem is, heating the bar took most of the torsion out of it so the trunk doesn't stay up on it's own anymore. I've been saying for like 2 years now that I was going to make some shocks fit to hold the trunk lid, but I've never got around to it.

EGALANT01
01-30-2004, 07:34 AM
Thanks for all your help guys, I think Im going to remove them completly and just use something to prop it open if need be, and Im not going to use my trunk for much storage, unfortuantly I won't be going all out and making it a show car,since I have totalled 2 other show cars. https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/sad.gif So Im just going to do a few things to make it look nice. Thanks again tho!

Lazarus
01-31-2004, 12:44 PM
Here's a crqazy idea why not just top mount your speakers? I have some type R 6x9s and I am debating now between topmounting them and just taking that bar out.I dont go in the truny anyways

The 99 Galant
01-31-2004, 10:30 PM
top mounting ok but not great....just scrw the rear and get mid level ones and then get high end seperates for up front. If you want that midbass then do what i did and get a custom box to between the center console and rear seat to house a JL 6WO....great sound