PDA

View Full Version : Lifter tick is back

xSILENTx
01-31-2004, 04:33 PM
My engine would tick all the time a awhile ago so i used some additives and changed the oil regularly and it stopped. But now its back agian and has been for awhile. The mechanic told me if doesnt stop this time i would have to replace them. I'm guessing that would be expensive so what parts should i start looking for?

clone2020
01-31-2004, 04:53 PM
"lash adjusters"

Read this article about ABNORMAL ENGINE NOISE...
http://66.98.150.64/~clubtgc/forum/viewtop...pic.php?t=25488 ('http://66.98.150.64/~clubtgc/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25488')

-MIKE.

ablythe
02-05-2004, 02:36 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(xSILENTx)</div><div class='quotemain'>My engine would tick all the time a awhile ago so i used some additives and changed the oil regularly and it stopped. But now its back agian and has been for awhile. The mechanic told me if doesnt stop this time i would have to replace them. I'm guessing that would be expensive so what parts should i start looking for?</div>

The ticking you may be hearing if its the hydraulic valve adjusters, can possibly be fixed without major surgery to your G.

Go to an auto parts store and pick up a bottle of Engine Flush by GUNK. Follow the directions and change your oil immediately after. I have found that some 4cyldr engines like ours can develop that ticking because the hydraulic valve adjusters are sticking or dirty.

A good engine flush and oil change may do the trick. I like using a flush every now and then anyway.

JiP
02-17-2004, 08:30 PM
a cup or so of ATF is what ive been using for a couple years now. add it in 200miles before your next oil change and then change the oil 200 miles later. Works every time =D oooldd school trick

VegasMatt
02-17-2004, 11:33 PM
The lifters run off hydraulic actuators i believe. With my new engine install I had the lifter tick too, applied some hydraulic fluid to them and they work just fine. good as new.

JiP
02-18-2004, 12:15 PM
Hydraulic just means they use fluid to work....doesnt mean it requires hydrolic fluid LMAO

The reason people use ATF is because the detergents in it clean out the crud, kinda like a mini engine flush.

But use whatever stops the tick and doesnt kill the engine...