PDA

View Full Version : Automatic Tranny Downshifting Problem?

Oli97GalantES
02-03-2004, 03:16 PM
This is a weird problem that has started just recently.

Every morning when I first start my car and pull up the stop sign outside my neighborhood (first drive and stop of the day), I have begun to notice that my tranny downshifts with a shudder as I come to a stop. The weird thing is that it never happens to the car for the rest of the day. This only happens when I first start my car in the morning, drive for a little bit(shifts to second), then stop(downshifts). I checked my tranny fluid levels and they are o.k. Anybody have any ideas about what could be causing this?

95mitsu03
02-03-2004, 08:06 PM
what I think is that is is normal, just something to protect the transmission in the cold, so that nothing else would go wrong. It's the same with my Z. it would do that until the car fully warms up. you should not worry. that's just my .02

Oli97GalantES
02-04-2004, 10:40 AM
Yeah, I understand the downshifting part of the transmission, but I don't think it should shudder(the car vibrates and shakes a little bit) when it downshifts. It never did it before until recently.

BlankMan
02-04-2004, 10:10 PM
Yah - that is odd it only happens then. But heres a thought - is it possible it is your brakes and not tranny causing the shudder? I mean, have you slowed and the car & downshifted without applying brakes?

J

Oli97GalantES
02-05-2004, 12:23 PM
Yeah, I don't think it is the brakes because then I would feel it all day long whenever I hit my brakes to stop or slow down. The tranny is supposed to automatically downshift when you apply the brakes and slow down to a certain speed, like it is supposed to, but there should not be any shudder while it does this process. I am just worried that it is a sign my tranny is starting to go. 117k + miles on it.

Ositoyb
02-05-2004, 07:02 PM
yea, it most liekly is yoru tranmy, mine went at arouns 112,00.

KNJGalant2002
02-05-2004, 07:23 PM
Yea my fiancee has the same problem with his 98 Galant. Since May it has been going on. When you drive the car for the first five minutes you can press the gas and it won't accelarate and then all of a sudden kick into gear and it also shuts down. After 5 or 10 minutes of driving then it's fine. One mechanic said it's a slipping transmission and two other mechanics said it's fine. So he is just going to ride it out until something goes. It's been going on since May and hasn't gotten better or worse but it's very annoying. We were thinking of taking to Mitsubishi to find out what the problem is but most likely it's going to be costly whatever it is. Good luck and let me know if you find out what the problem is. Sounds pretty close to my problem except mine seems worse.

Kristy

Ositoyb
02-05-2004, 09:02 PM
what i was also told that, you should remove your converter and see if that helps any. i was told aout this after i got my tranny rebuilt, but it might help you in some sort of way.

Oli97GalantES
02-06-2004, 09:55 AM
Kristy

Yeah, when my car is first started, it also accelerates funny until it gets warmed up. It doesn't "jump" into gear but rather accelerates slowly then fast then slow then fast, when the gas pedal is held at a constant level. Once it is warmed up, it acts fine.

Ositoyb

I thought the car needs the torque converter, I could be wrong. Correct me if I am wrong, but when first started, the torque converter doesn't even engage until the engine is nice and warm and has been driven for a little bit. Only then does it engage. Are you talking about removing the torque converter or just disconnecting it(if that is even possible)?

Ositoyb
02-06-2004, 05:49 PM
not sure, but i'll ask the guy who told me. as for the car accelerating then slowing down, and staying at a constant speed, can it be you speed sensor? you should ask manybrews he would most liekly know a lot more than me.

95mitsu03
02-09-2004, 07:04 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Oli97GalantES)</div><div class='quotemain'>Kristy

Yeah, when my car is first started, it also accelerates funny until it gets warmed up. Â*It doesn't "jump" into gear but rather accelerates slowly then fast then slow then fast, when the gas pedal is held at a constant level. Â*Once it is warmed up, it acts fine.</div>

I have the same "exact" problem. Is it me or does it seem that there are too many 7 g owners with the same exact problems? Me thinks that mitsubishi is a lemon... :cry: