PDA

View Full Version : Yellow Top Bad?

CustomMotto
02-06-2004, 06:47 PM
Ok I bought a yellow top today, but the mechanic guy was telling that It was going to mess up my electrical system or kill my alternator. Then he told I should get the red top because it was made for cars and the yellow top was not. Now is that true or just a bunch of shit? :?

peanotation
02-06-2004, 06:50 PM
.......that sounds like bullshit to me. yellow top is the shit.

Niytrus
02-06-2004, 07:26 PM
yellowtop should be fine, i was recomended to get it by serveral people. Great battery, love it https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

CustomMotto
02-06-2004, 08:13 PM
Ok thanks for the info guys he had me going for a min!! https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

mrjaydeeone
02-07-2004, 02:35 AM
ive had my yellow top since like last april and its all good

MaxedOut97Maxima
02-07-2004, 05:08 AM
I had a yellow top for two years ran great now I have a blue top and just ordered my wife red top...all optima batteries rock!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Elwenil
02-07-2004, 10:45 AM
Yeah, that whole deal is BS. Tell the mechanic to go back to school and listen this time. The theory behind that myth is that the Yellow Top Optima is a deep cycle battery, and therefore, commonly a Marine battery. It works great in boats and stuff, but if you ran it dead in your boat and then used your car's charging system to recharge it, then you would have problems. Using it as a normal battery should give you no trouble at all. Just don't run it completly dead all the time and you should be fine. Deep cycle batteries are made to be run dead, then recharged, and then run dead again, hence the term, "Deep Cycle". Deep Cycle batteries do take a few more amps to charge from a dead state, and so could strain your alternator, but like I said, don't run it dead a lot and you shouldn't have any trouble. I would think that the charging systems could take the strain, but after a few years of running with a normal battery that never gets run completely dead, that a sudden amp load could cause some problems, but I'd say it's unlikely. If you do happen to run a Deep Cycle dead, the best way to charge them for longer life is with a "trickle charger", which is basically a low amp charger that charges overnight, rather than a "charge on demand" system like our Gs have which charges whatever amps are necessary to charge the battery in the minimum time. Trickle charging prevents sulfation, which can shorten the life of the battery. I hope this helps clear this up, and dismiss a myth that might keep peeps from buying a very nice battery like an Optima Yellow or Blue Top.

majikTib
02-07-2004, 12:05 PM
Judging by what you've said, I'm taking it that the Optima Red Top is not a Deep Cycle battery? Does anybody know the CCA on the different tops? From what I understood, pretty much any of the batteries would be sufficient, unless you're pushing something heavy in the trunk.

What's the level of power in order from least to greatest on the famous colored tops? Red-->Blue-->Yellow?

Elwenil
02-07-2004, 12:35 PM
It depends on the size of the battery, but typically, the Red Top would have more power for it's size. Deep Cycle batteries normally have fewer CCA (Cold Cranking Amps) than normal batteries, but it depends on the manufacturer, and how the battery is made as far as how many plates, or cells and their configuration. Also beware that some manufacturers use CA (Cranking Amps) instead of CCA or they use both. CCA is at freezing, or 32 degrees, CA is at room temp, or about 72 degrees. Go here http://www.batteryweb.com/optima.cfm ('http://www.batteryweb.com/optima.cfm') for more info on what sizes put out what amps. Make sure you are looking at 12 volt batteries though, lol...

Reelax
02-07-2004, 06:05 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(majikTib)</div><div class='quotemain'>Judging by what you've said, I'm taking it that the Optima Red Top is not a Deep Cycle battery? Â*Does anybody know the CCA on the different tops? From what I understood, pretty much any of the batteries would be sufficient, unless you're pushing something heavy in the trunk. Â*

What's the level of power in order from least to greatest on the famous colored tops? Â* Red-->Blue-->Yellow?</div>

i've had yellow top and blue top in my car and they are pretty much the same exact battery... i only switched to match my hoses. the red top has more CCA, but you can't run your stereo (mine is 1200W) for an hour at full blast w/ the engine off like you can w/ a yellow/blue top, and then start the car w/o a problem.

Elwenil
02-07-2004, 10:47 PM
Yeah, that has to do with the reserve capacity, which is usually listed in minutes. I think that is measured by how long a battery will stay above 12V with a certain draw on it, but I'm not sure. A lot of battery manufacturers don't even publish the reserve capacity numbers. Just for fun, I run two batteries in my 74 Dodge W100. A 1200 CCA normal one with a 72 minute RC, and a 980 CCA deep cycle one as a back up.They are both the same size, which is about 16" long, 10" wide, and 11" tall. Together they weigh over 130 lbs. But you can bet I can start my truck anytime I want to, lol...

99BabyBenz-aka Herb
02-29-2004, 07:22 PM
So whats wrong wit the red top i just got it sat. is it still good or should i get the yellow top???? :?

Wolfman
02-29-2004, 08:32 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(99BabyBenz)</div><div class='quotemain'>So whats wrong wit the red top i just got it sat. is it still good or should i get the yellow top???? :?</div> For an everyday battery that you aren't running a bid stereo system, then yeah red's fine its a really good starting battery, which was the original theory behind batteries in the first place. Yellow Tops, are used for reserve if you put the key back instead of forward, so that you can run a big stereo for a couple hours at shows and stuff.

99BabyBenz-aka Herb
03-02-2004, 01:35 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wolfman)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(99BabyBenz)</div><div class='quotemain'>So whats wrong wit the red top i just got it sat. is it still good or should i get the yellow top???? :?</div> For an everyday battery that you aren't running a bid stereo system, then yeah red's fine its a really good starting battery, which was the original theory behind batteries in the first place. Yellow Tops, are used for reserve if you put the key back instead of forward, so that you can run a big stereo for a couple hours at shows and stuff.</div>
Well i will be putting my system in soon but it wont be running wiothout the car on for long periods. I should be ok wit the red top.

Wolfman
03-02-2004, 03:17 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(99BabyBenz)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wolfman)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(99BabyBenz)</div><div class='quotemain'>So whats wrong wit the red top i just got it sat. is it still good or should i get the yellow top???? :?</div> For an everyday battery that you aren't running a bid stereo system, then yeah red's fine its a really good starting battery, which was the original theory behind batteries in the first place. Yellow Tops, are used for reserve if you put the key back instead of forward, so that you can run a big stereo for a couple hours at shows and stuff.</div>
Well i will be putting my system in soon but it wont be running wiothout the car on for long periods. I should be ok wit the red top.</div> you'l be alright for a short period, I wouldn't run for terribly long time without a yellow to or blue top however.

99BabyBenz-aka Herb
03-04-2004, 07:16 PM
Ok so what do i ask for when i go to auto zone,cause they told me they don't list yellow top for the 8g

Wolfman
03-04-2004, 07:37 PM
Ok so what do i ask for when i go to auto zone,cause they told me they don't list yellow top for the 8g they told me the same thing, just ask for a yellow top they have. It shoudl be 38/78 something for the model number. As long as it has a yellow top and two connecting stations on top. Don't get the one where theres two on the side of the battery you'll be okay. Plenty of peopel have it its just Autozone doesn't have a good computer system and don't sell stuff normally thats not in the computer. But they will sell it to you if you ask for it.

99BabyBenz-aka Herb
03-12-2004, 06:59 PM
Okay went and got me a yellow top fopr 159 and some ceramic brake pads for 80 front and back.