PDA

View Full Version : jdm headlights

logride
02-07-2004, 09:39 PM
i just purchased JDM BLACK HOUSING GALANT VR4 HEADLIGHTS off of ebay. they are supposedly new but they dont have any harnesses. do i need those are can i just wire them up with my harness? if i do need them where can i get them and for how much? by the way i drive a 2001. thanks

galantevo
02-07-2004, 10:18 PM
I don't know how, but i know there is a thread teach you how to wiring them with the stock wire, but I can't find the link & here is a little bit i copied from the past "As far as wiring, take the wire from the old socket, put the high beam and ground to one socket, and then the low beam and ground to the other sockets, if you are looking at the socket, I am pretty sure that the top prong is for the high beam, so that's the wire you tap for the high beam, the black wire is the ground" but I don't really understand so I haven't done mine yet...anyway, if anyone know pls post it again! thanks!

8ggalant
02-07-2004, 11:35 PM
ok.....here we go

yer gonna probly wanna buy an h7 and h1 wiring harness (upgrade...nokya and a few other companies make em...get em off ebay)

u do not i reapeat DO NOT need a jdm wiring harness...

now ...its very simple...yer gonna plug the positive and negative wires from the h7 harness into yer stock harness.....as far as the high beams go...yer gonna plug the high beam positive into the stock headlight harness....but the ground is up to u...u can use the headlight housing, the frame of the car, or u can tap into the "common ground" that u just plugged up (h7 ground).....its that simple...pm me if u have any more ?'s it pretty str8 forward...ther is no need i repeat NO NEED to cut off yer wiring harness...this was not explaned to me and i just had to pay for 2 new ones....good luck (ps im not responsible for anything u do to yer car)

logride
02-08-2004, 01:09 PM
if i dont use a jdm harness how do i wire the lights up? also im not going to buy hid bulbs yet, so what bulbs should i use in the mean time? again thanks for the help

verywhite01
02-08-2004, 03:38 PM
As he said above you can buy the harnesses on ebay, or you can go to any auto store and get um.

logride
02-09-2004, 10:27 AM
if i go to the auto store what am i looking for? is the package going to say jdm harness for galant? also can i just buy h1 and h7 bulbs if they arent hids or can i just use the h4 bulbs i have now? also what do i type in on ebay to pull up the harnesses

galantevo
02-09-2004, 10:53 AM
you can't buy the jdm harness in the state....
as he mentioned above look for the h1 & h7 harness or search on ebay or yahoo.com

galantevo
02-09-2004, 10:58 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Reelax)</div><div class='quotemain'>
now your going to do the following for each side of the car: basically to convert the H4 bulb (3 wires) to dual bulb (JDM H7 lo, H1 hi - 2 wires each) you just need to do some wire tapping... you can even keep the H4 wiring and plug intact. basically, you tap and add wiring to each of the three stock wires ahead of the H4 plug. there are 2 positives (one for hi beam and 1 for low beam) and 1 ground (-). now just add another tap and wire to the ground (your going to need 2 of those total). the H7 low is easy, just add a female spade connector to the low beam positive and also another to one of the grounds (-); those then clip onto the bulb (H7 has 2 terminals and 1 is poitive and the other negative... they are interchangeable). the H1 is almost as easy... add a female spade connector to the hi beam positive. the other ground you extended will screw under the screw on the headliight housing itself that holds the clip that holds the H1 bulb. the reason this has to go directly to the housing is that the H1 bulb only has 1 terminal (+), the ground is the bulb's mounting collar and that contacts the headlight housing and clip. so now the clip that holds the bulb is the ground and then just clip the female spade connector onto the H1 terminal and it will have access to power. Â*

btw, the corner 1157 sockets will fit into the housing w/ minor trimming. the grey plastic socket has locking tabs... 3 narrow and 1 wide. trim the side of the wide one down so it matches the other 3 and it should just push in and turn like US spec. also w/ this method there is no need for a new bulb / socket / wiring; it'll work just like stock Â*

now for the diode trick... Â*

there r 2 positive wires that go to your H7 an H1 bulbs... u want to bridge those wires w/ a diode. a diode basically is like a one-way-valve for current. you want to have the high beams (+) send power to the low beams (+), but not vice versa so that when you hit your brights, your lows stay on drawing power from the highs; not the other way around. Â*

http://www.the12volt.com/diodes/diodes.asp ('http://www.the12volt.com/diodes/diodes.asp') Â*

http://www.the12volt.com/images/12voltdiodes.gif

you want the ANODE side (no stripe) connected to the high beam positive (H1) and the CATHODE side (w/ stripe) connected to the low beam positivem H7). i soldered the diode to a short length of insulated wire at each end to lengthen it then wrapped the diode in electrical tape. you can simply splice these wire leads into the harness on the wires that lead to the bulbs. Â*

the diodes you want are rated for 12VDC. you can get them at any electronics store like radio shack. Â*

that's how it goes, if i forgot anything , hit me up.</div>

here is another way to do it ......

8ggalant
02-09-2004, 03:23 PM
yea reelax..my shit is still not workin like that (maybe im just retarded we gotta talk man)...but yea anyway...it just seemed this way was easier for me...altho i still would like to have my high and low beams on at the same time :?

Reelax
02-09-2004, 04:02 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(8ggalant)</div><div class='quotemain'>yea reelax..my shit is still not workin like that (maybe im just retarded we gotta talk man)...but yea anyway...it just seemed this way was easier for me...altho i still would like to have my high and low beams on at the same time :?</div>

yeah i was thinking aobut your wiring when u tried the diode trick... maybe the bulbs are drawing so much current that that is what is burning the diodes out... maybe you can isolate the diode w/ a relay (so the power going to the bulb isn't going through the diode itself); just the trun on power is going throught the diode to the relay then the relay sends the power from the battery to the bulb. lemme think about this one a little more. mine is working becuase of my relay network.... but the power that goes to my HID (35W) is not going theough the diode itself but through relays.

logride
02-09-2004, 08:38 PM
just to be sure, on ebay it says hid xenon headlight harness upgrade h7. is this what i am looking for?

Reelax
02-09-2004, 09:55 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(logride)</div><div class='quotemain'>just to be sure, on ebay it says hid xenon headlight harness upgrade h7. is this what i am looking for?</div>

read my post over, or at least the quote of my post... YOU DO NOT NEED JDM Harness or anything other than female spade connectors and wire taps and some wire, and yes you do not have to cut off your old wire socket harness, just tap into it and extend w/ regular wire. the reason you cannot use any premade harnesses is you have to convert from H4 to H7/H1 and there are no kits available for this that i know of. my harnesses are full relay network replacements drawing power directly from the battery (all custom made by modifying a heavy duty H7/H1 replacement harness) for my dual HID's, but they ended up being toatally overkill and unneccesary. the stock wiring should hold up to any aftermarket bulbs you put in.

verywhite01
02-11-2004, 03:51 AM
You can even use your stock harness, just buy 2 more h4 harnesses, but just make sure you cut the hi beam and splice it into the low beam wire of the new harness and than just wire the ground into the stock harness ground, you already hav eth plastic things the bulbs plug into, than those just plug in to the harness.

galantevo
02-11-2004, 10:58 AM
this sound more easier...is that how you do it?

8ggalant
02-11-2004, 11:12 AM
why the hell would u buy h4 harnesses when they dont even fit the light :? :roll: u need an h7 and h1 harness...i actually didnt even use tha harnesses at first i justused female spade connectots....this is not that hard.... reelax expained it very thoroughly...and i learned from him and my way I THOUGHT would be a little more simple....i guess not

Reelax
02-11-2004, 08:21 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(verywhite01)</div><div class='quotemain'>You can even use your stock harness, just buy 2 more h4 harnesses, but just make sure you cut the hi beam and splice it into the low beam wire of the new Â*harness and than just wire the ground into the stock harness ground, you already hav eth plastic things the bulbs plug into, than those just plug in to the harness.</div>

huh?

8ggalant
02-12-2004, 12:45 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Reelax)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(verywhite01)</div><div class='quotemain'>You can even use your stock harness, just buy 2 more h4 harnesses, but just make sure you cut the hi beam and splice it into the low beam wire of the new Â*harness and than just wire the ground into the stock harness ground, you already hav eth plastic things the bulbs plug into, than those just plug in to the harness.</div>

huh?</div>

yea thats what im wonderin :roll: