PDA

View Full Version : which tranny cooler to get??

paco
02-08-2004, 11:51 AM
I am getting the RIPP SDS at the begining of next month and I want to install a tranny cooler. I went to jegs.com and I found these cooler but I don't know which one to pick. Help please!!
SuperCooler 16,000 GVW (11'' x 5.75'' x .75'')
SuperCooler 24,000 GVW (11'' x 6'' x 1.5'').
SuperCooler 19,000 GVW (11'' x 7.5'' x .75'')
Is it the smallest one?

Elwenil
02-08-2004, 12:25 PM
I would think the smallest one would be more than enough. You have to remember that these are mainly made for trucks that tow large trailers. Hence the Gross Vehicle Weight rating. I don't think a Galant will ever haul 16,000 pounds. Personally, I'd go with the B&M Hi-Tek Trans Cooler, Jeg's part number 130-70265. It's $45, but it's polished, so it looks kewler than the one you selected, and it's only a few dollars more. That style of cooler is the most efficient, rather than the older style which just has some fins and some tubing twisted around.

paco
02-08-2004, 12:39 PM
but the one you say doesn't include the instalation kit.
What is all needed for the install anyway?

Elwenil
02-08-2004, 12:47 PM
Typically all you do is disconnect the pressured supply line to the factory tranny cooler in the radiator and then run that to the external cooler, then run the line from the external cooler to the factory cooler in the radiator. Basically all you are doing is splicing another cooler in the line. Don't listen to people who tell you to disconnect the factory cooler, you need to keep it connected. In cold weather months, the radiator will actually warm up the tranny fluid a little to keep it from being too cool. Some people will actually put cardboard or something over the cooler in the winter months, but it just depends on where you live and how much you drive in the cold. The install kit is normally just a few hoses, clamps and maybe a few fittings, which are all availible at a local parts store. I normally just use 3/8" rubber fuel line hose for my tranny coolers, but there is an actual hose made for this, but the fuel line is cheaper, easier to find, and works just fine.