PDA

View Full Version : axle wear.

john mars
02-08-2004, 02:19 PM
I have an 01 I4 with 96k mi. Noticed shaking at 65-75mph. had it balanced and it continued to shake. Had it checked and wa told my right front axle needs replacing cause it "dried up" the lubrication from wear and tear. Has anyone experienced this problem? My shop has a hard time getting and matching the part because its too new....

Danger DANJ
02-08-2004, 05:33 PM
It's definitely possible. I have the same shaking at around the same speeds as you. As far as I can tell, my tires are balanced and the shaking has been happening for a while, even after an alignment. Once it warms up I'm about to install the Tein SS-P Dampers and if I still have the shaking, I'm going to assume one of my axles or a tie rod or something is shot. I only have a little over 62k miles on the car, and it's been shaking for atleast the last 20k. The funny thing is that if I take my 18" rims off and put the stock 16's on, I can hardly feel it at all.

john mars
02-10-2004, 11:49 AM
I forgot to mention that it shakes when i gas it on the highway at 60-70mph. At 80 it's smooth and on local driving it's the same thing. I went to my mechanics shop and he told me today they have to take it out and measure how many "spindles" it has, put it back into the car and call for the part. That was what mitsu told them to do. It looks like an expensive repaIR IF I have to get a new one versus a used or rebiult one..keep u updated

Danger DANJ
02-10-2004, 07:51 PM
Yeah, for me between 60-80mph it shakes. I feel it mostly in the steering wheel. After 80mph it smooths out again.

john mars
02-11-2004, 10:28 AM
looks like we have similar problems. I'm going to the shop in the morning to have them remove it see what happens. keep u updated. Looks like another mitsu part gone bad, a la rotors...

galantv600
02-13-2004, 11:23 PM
my car has that prob. i went to the dealer and he told me its def the axle.. mine starts shakin at like 4500 revs till 5000... he said i dont need to change it right now.. the shakin will just get mroe noticeable to daily driving... but i aint go tmoney to change that so fuck it hahahaha ill wait :wink:

john mars
02-14-2004, 04:32 PM
MY shop gut has a difficult time mtching the axle. he has a remanufactured company he deals with to keep part cost down. he's working on matching it. I did suggest looking into 99-95 eclipse ang 00-03 eclipse axles if they match. Although since he took it out and put it back, the shaking has toned down but i'm uncomfortable when i'm pushing it hard like merging and passing

john mars
02-25-2004, 03:39 PM
got it fixed yesterday. Shaking has disappeared. Spent 150 for part and 90 for labor. They had to get the internals from mitsu, new ones. It feels great.

Danger DANJ
02-26-2004, 06:51 PM
That's good. If it is my axle that's bad, I was planning on having my Father help me replace it, but it sounds like you shop guy had some trouble getting the parts. I guess I'd have to order the parts from my dealer?