PDA

View Full Version : Warranty question (and yes i've searched)

dza
02-09-2004, 01:10 PM
I've searched and read that you have to get the scheuled service done or the warranty is void. If you do the stuff yourself, how do you prove to them that the work has been done?

I'm about to extend my warranty but i may not even worry about it if my warranty no longer applies. I've done all the oil changes myself. I have 34,000 miles and haven't done anything else for it. I bought it new last year.

Is my warranty void?

Elwenil
02-09-2004, 02:29 PM
Well it kinda depends on the dealer and their attitude. In some states, like Virginia, there are laws that protect you if you have the work done somewhere other than the dealer. You just have to use parts that are equal to, or above the quality of the factory parts. My best advice, and what I do, is to buy the genuine Mitsubishi parts from a dealer and keep your receipt to prove you bought them. Install them according to the factory service manual, and anyone looking at the car should be able to tell if you knew what you were doing or not. Sometimes it's a fight to get warranty service done because no one pays attention to what the laws are and you might have to raise hell and make some phone calls to Mitsu to get satisfaction. The warranty is yours, you paid for it, and unless they can prove that you are a total idiot around cars, they will have to honor it with the right amount of persuasion.

J-ROCK
02-09-2004, 06:21 PM
if they dont warranty the it now, when u get the extended warranty they might stick with that if you bring it in for service with the new warranty.

dza
02-10-2004, 08:41 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(J-ROCK)</div><div class='quotemain'>if they dont warranty the it now, when u get the extended warranty they might stick with that if you bring it in for service with the new warranty.</div>

that's why i was asking about it. but, i looked online at mitsucars.com and I've done a lot more than what their service schedule says I should do. I have not been mailed any forms telling me I need to do any work and the form online only say you need work at 60k miles. Other than that it just says fluid changes. So, if they tell me i needed something done they should have said something about that.

pinoyesv6
02-10-2004, 09:03 AM
you also got to see what the extended warrnty covers. i mean you got at least that 5/60k mile powertrain warranty. depending on when in 03 you bought your car, it could even be a 7/70k warranty. so your powertrain is covered and what really important. i have a 2k, and have had my extended warranty since day 1. and seriously, i haven't used it. i take good care of my car but yea if i were to do things over again, i wouldn't get an extended warranty. i mean there are occasions where things like my glovebox falls apart but i'd rather pay like 25 dollars for parts than pay couple hundred dollars for aa warranty that lets you fix it for "free" but if you don't take the extended warranty, thats a risk you're gonna have to take cuz well, in my case, im lucky so far, but we don't know what will happen tmorrow or later today that would let me have a good chance to use my warranty.

dza
02-10-2004, 09:18 AM
My comprehensive warranty is just about if not totally gone. I do have the 5/60k and if i do extend it would only be powertrian all the way up to 100k. I'm probably going to hit 100k before i hit 4 or 5 years. I also treat my car well as well as drive it soft. I haven't had any problems but i think 600 bucks now is a lot better than a lot more later if something does happen. I've heard nothing but bad things about these trannys so im not taking chances.

By the way, the guy told me that they are currently offering good prices for extensions. But compared to what. What are some prices you guys are paying for extensions on powertrain? I think their "great deal" is supposed to be 75% off but i dunno. For example, 580 for 48mo/100k and 620 for 60mo/100k.