PDA

View Full Version : Differences

know_fun
02-09-2004, 02:57 PM
whats the difference between the ls es & s type galants? i always wondered i dont really see any differences except i heard the ls only comes in automatic

sethmo
02-09-2004, 03:09 PM
they did not make a manual ES from my knowledge. ES is supposed to have all the bells and whistles. I dont think all S had power windows/locks or sunroof

2True
02-09-2004, 04:23 PM
S- Base model. Come in A/T or M/T with power windows/ locks as an option.
ES- Middle of the road. Only came in A/T and most options standard.
LS - Luxery edition. All options are standard and had a digital climate control
GS- Also known as the "sport" model. Only available in 94 with a M/T and a 2.4L DOHC power plant.

Those are the basics, there is more to each of course...

Hodgson316
02-09-2004, 06:45 PM
Is the GS basically an S w/ the dohc? I'm about to buy a GS but want to know if it comes w/ all the bells and whistles first. Thanks. - Dan

sethmo
02-09-2004, 07:13 PM
GS came in auto too.

Hodgson316
02-09-2004, 09:55 PM
Only automatic transmission? or power windows? BTW if anyone remembers xalant galant or bigkat, he used to have a GS and now is in the process of getting another one or a 240SX? If he gets the 240, I'm all over that GS like the cops on Suge Knight https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

2True
02-11-2004, 01:18 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(sethmo)</div><div class='quotemain'>GS came in auto too.</div>

Uhhhh... really? prove it. https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif

Hodgson316
02-11-2004, 02:12 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(2True)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(sethmo)</div><div class='quotemain'>GS came in auto too.</div>

Uhhhh... really? prove it. https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif</div>

auto what?

peanotation
02-11-2004, 03:09 AM
GS came in automatic transmission, but the majority were 5spd

2True
02-11-2004, 11:33 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(peanotation)</div><div class='quotemain'>GS came in automatic transmission, but the majority were 5spd</div>

Show me. https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif

BTW, that would require an entirely different A/T than what comes in other model 7g's. The 2g A/T perhaps? ... where's manybrews?

QnzMostWanted
02-12-2004, 08:12 AM
the GS transmission and the regular galant sohc transmission if auto would be the same, the GS had a 4g64 not a 4g63 the transmissions are the same

whoo hooo, i know stuff

2True
02-12-2004, 02:48 PM
I know the GS is a 4g63 Denver, but what I don't see is how the tranny for the SOHC version could withstand the power from the DOHC version for a sustained amount of time. It would give out even faster than it usually does!

I think there is a 1 digit code difference in the A/T for the GS model. It has a stronger something... gears or crank case or bell housing? I dunno.

What I am trying to get from this is whether or not an A/T from a GS is stronger or not... perhaps it is a good replacement solution to the regular models weak A/T... you follow?

peanotation
02-12-2004, 03:20 PM
i know the GS 5spd and ES/LS/S 5spds are all the same, at least i'm pretty sure. the autos might be slightly different, i think the clutch for the automatic GSs is stronger on the autos.

sethmo
02-12-2004, 08:19 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(2True)</div><div class='quotemain'>I know the GS is a 4g63 Denver, but what I don't see is how the tranny for the SOHC version could withstand the power from the DOHC version for a sustained amount of time. It would give out even faster than it usually does!

I think there is a 1 digit code difference in the A/T for the GS model. It has a stronger something... gears or crank case or bell housing? I dunno.

What I am trying to get from this is whether or not an A/T from a GS is stronger or not... perhaps it is a good replacement solution to the regular models weak A/T... you follow?</div>

The GS did NOT have a 4g63 engine. It is a 7bolt 4g64 block with a 1g head(or close to). I have seen A/T GS before on eBay, but I do not know what tranny the GS uses. The tranny will 100% bolt up to any SOHC 4g64, 5spd or A/T.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(peanotation)</div><div class='quotemain'>i know the GS 5spd and ES/LS/S 5spds are all the same, at least i'm pretty sure. the autos might be slightly different, i think the clutch for the automatic GSs is stronger on the autos.</div>

A/Ts do not have a clutch. Well they do, but not in the same sense as a 5spd. They use a Torque Converter...

Hodgson316
02-12-2004, 09:47 PM
The GS does have a different kind of tranny. Manybrews said it somewhere else in another post, only if i remember where it was.

And I'm sure 2true meant to say 4g64 (not having a 7g DSM makes you forget these kinds of things :cry: ) j/k

2True
02-12-2004, 11:27 PM
<span style='font-size:25pt;line-height:100%'>OOPS!</span> I meant to say "4G64" not "4G63"

You're right Hodgson, maybe I'm losing my touch... NOT! https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

Of all people to call me on it, Seth, you should have know what I meant bro! jeezus, you ass :wink:

Moosh
02-13-2004, 10:18 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(sethmo)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(2True)</div><div class='quotemain'>I know the GS is a 4g63 Denver, but what I don't see is how the tranny for the SOHC version could withstand the power from the DOHC version for a sustained amount of time. It would give out even faster than it usually does!

What I am trying to get from this is whether or not an A/T from a GS is stronger or not... perhaps it is a good replacement solution to the regular models weak A/T... you follow?</div>

The GS did NOT have a 4g63 engine. It is a 7bolt 4g64 block with a 1g head(or close to). I have seen A/T GS before on eBay, but I do not know what tranny the GS uses. The tranny will 100% bolt up to any SOHC 4g64, 5spd or A/T.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(peanotation)</div><div class='quotemain'>i know the GS 5spd and ES/LS/S 5spds are all the same, at least i'm pretty sure. the autos might be slightly different, i think the clutch for the automatic GSs is stronger on the autos.</div>

A/Ts do not have a clutch. Well they do, but not in the same sense as a 5spd. They use a Torque Converter...</div>

Okay. Let me clear this up. The 1994 Galant GS came with a 4G64 7 bolt block, and a 2G style Eclipse turbo head not a 1G style head. I know this because I know someone who owns a 1994 Galant GS and I believe his cam angle sensor is the 1995/1996 turbo Eclipse style sensor, which would never fit on a 1G head without drilling holes into it. As far as transmissions go the Galant GS transmission is exactly the same as the SOHC Galant trannys. It only has 160 horsepower as opposed to 141 horsepower of the SOHC Galants. The stock manual tranny can definitely handle that and so can the stock auto tranny of the SOHC's.