PDA

View Full Version : I-4 weight/power vs V6

Auto-9
09-20-2002, 07:50 PM
Hey guys I was bored in macroeconomics today so I did a few calculations...a stock 4 banger has a power to weight ratio of about 9.3 to 9.5 without a driver (kg/hp). A loaded stock V6 with 4 passengers weighing 180 lbs each and a full tank of gas (about 110 lbs) has a power to weight ratio of about 9.4 to 9.6 (almost a tie). So I was wondering (and I don't want this to get out of hand with passionate debates but...in the pursuit of knowledge I must take risks) if the only advantage the inline has over the V6 is that there's more room to work with at a cheaper price and not a true weight advantage (in stock form)? It's already pretty much agreed in the end the V6 could probably put out more power for a higher cost so I dunno just a thought, seeking opinions and facts from more knowledgeable folks.

Reelax
09-20-2002, 10:31 PM
it just comes down to the least common denominator... cash. you could build an 14 that would spank a v6. you could also build a v6 that would do the same thing to that same modded i4. how much money do you wanna drop? for a second i might have had the most powerful NA V6 but then you guys started getting parts and i don't doubt that i'd get smoked by a few of you... all good. i know that if TOC's original i4 was growing at the same pace it was b4 it went away, he'd b an undisputed v6 killer right now. point is the whole performance game is about money at the root. the fun is that if u spend enough on the i4 or v6 you can spank cars that will never see it coming... we are sleepers.

TJC
09-20-2002, 11:33 PM
That's obviously true Reelax.

I don't think Rallifan that you can really compare the two or would be almost impossible to find the most ingenious way to get the most power:weight ratio of each and compare it.

As PinoyESV6 pointed out in one extreme example of the guy hacking apart his car to lighten it as much as he can without worrying about cosmetics or functionality so long as it had one driver seat and 4 wheels. Yes, it was even FREE mods, hacking and removing everything that is.

But if you wanted everything to look stock but get the most power:weight ratio, money will do that for you on custom everything. If you were limited to production aftermaket parts, then you options and combinations for each, I4/V6 are limited....... for now.

Tiller
09-20-2002, 11:35 PM
what the hell are you talking about...?

I4 ES - 21.9lbs / 1Hp
V6 ES - 16.7lbs / 1hp

Where are you going with this...?

Mod for mod the V6 is going to beat out the I4, no matter what...

TJC
09-21-2002, 12:01 AM
oh, no wonder those numbers by Rallifan threw me off. it's in kg. Uh, guess he wants to know what you can change that ratio to? LOL.

Tiller
09-21-2002, 12:49 AM
9.93 i4
7.57 v6

in Kg's for you metric heads... https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

Auto-9
09-21-2002, 12:50 AM
Honestly...I was probably wasted at the time I wrote it...I have no idea what I'm talking about :?

Tiller
09-21-2002, 12:55 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rallifan)</div><div class='quotemain'>Honestly...I was probably wasted at the time I wrote it...I have no idea what I'm talking about Â*:?</div>

https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif now it makes sense... https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif

Auto-9
09-21-2002, 12:56 AM
hehehe it's crystal clear now https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

toc8g
09-21-2002, 04:25 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>i know that if TOC's original i4 was growing at the same pace it was b4 it went away, he'd b an undisputed v6 killer right now. </div>

:sad2: :cry: :cry: Don't remind me,....waaaawaaaaa!! Its a hard and long road on my new I-4 before I ever reach the power of my old G ride :cry:

Auto-9
09-21-2002, 09:34 AM
The legendary Super Galant that surfaces once in every thousand years, unbeatable in racing...it makes the mighty Lord Skyline tremble and quake...

Reelax
09-21-2002, 01:46 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tiller)</div><div class='quotemain'>what the hell are you talking about...?

I4 ES - 21.9lbs / 1Hp
V6 ES - 16.7lbs / 1hp

Where are you going with this...? Â*

Mod for mod the V6 is going to beat out the I4, no matter what...</div>

yes agreed, mod for mod the v6 is more powerful... my point is that modding a v6 is also more expensive than modding the i4 when you start doing some mods like ones that are dictated by how many cylinders you have like headers, bottom end strengthening, injectors, wires, porting etc. it all depends on how much cash you are willing to drop. the v6 has a head start but money can equalize that.

toc8g
09-21-2002, 07:10 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rallifan)</div><div class='quotemain'>The legendary Super Galant that surfaces once in every thousand years, unbeatable in racing...it makes the mighty Lord Skyline tremble and quake...</div>

Mawahahhah, bwahahahah!! https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

Auto-9
09-21-2002, 09:50 PM
Last resort we can always do a fusion of 4 and 6...

RedGalant2k1
09-21-2002, 10:02 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rallifan)</div><div class='quotemain'>Last resort we can always do a fusion of 4 and 6...</div>

an W10?

4 straigh cylinders and two banks of three cylinders at 45 degrees?

hmmm interesting?

Auto-9
09-21-2002, 10:27 PM
Oh well we just lost the Dragonball Z theme https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

Supernova
09-22-2002, 03:54 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rallifan)</div><div class='quotemain'>Oh well we just lost the Dragonball Z theme https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif</div>

Dang you Redgalant, I was about to join in. :tongue:

Auto-9
09-22-2002, 03:56 PM
Hehe join anyway https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif We already have Majin TOC...

Supernova
09-22-2002, 04:01 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rallifan)</div><div class='quotemain'>Hehe join anyway https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif We already have Majin TOC...</div>

Well in that case, I think I need to take my car to the "body shop of spirit and time"(known in US as the "Hyperbolic time chamber") to get fix up in a hurry(1 day in the shop = 1 year outside it). It sinces a very evil and powerful force being awoken. :roll:

toc8g
09-22-2002, 04:37 PM
Yeah Maybe I can wish the Silver Galant Back with the Earth's Dragon Balls since its never been wished back before!! :thumbsup: But while that is happening my new Majin Beast is under training to be even more powerfull!!!! bwahahahahahahah, mwahahahahahah!!!

Nextime on TGC,..Will MAjin TOC's old Galant be wished back on time or will his new evil menace to the V6 Kingdom be unleashed!!!????? Watch next time on T. G. C.!!!!!

Auto-9
09-22-2002, 08:24 PM
Hehehe getting into it now are we https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif I can be Daburally, the import king, servant of BGRbadi...

99GalantOn18s
09-23-2002, 05:18 AM
wussup guys? maybe ya'll can help me... i gotta 99 galant es i4... i was drivin down i-95 and a v6 galant was next to me... we were both at the time doin around 45... he looked over at me and we both slammed it... by the time we were doin about 90 i could see his grill to my left... i was beating him by 1/2 car length... we slowed down again to about 70 and smashed it again... i was pullin away until i got to about 85... then we started creapin on me until about 100... after that i was doin about 120 and his front bumper was where my back bumper was, but on another lane... did ya'll understand that??? all i did to my car was an injen intake, apexi n1 exhaust, aem pulleys, and bosch platinum 4tips... and i waxed a v6... how is that possible?? the next day i told my dad and he raced me in his v6... he beat me off the line, when i got to about 55 i started gainin on him... y is my 0-60 suck ass... but i can beat a v6 if i'm already cruisin at like 50???? my galant has also beat a camaro rs with duals, a 4banger mustang, and v6 mustang, a big block hoomptie chevy with duals, and even a grand prix se... someone please tell me how to get my 0-60 up... i'd rather have that faster seein how i rarely drive 55-120 mph...

Auto-9
09-23-2002, 12:08 PM
Maybe it's once at speed the lighter weight of a 4 makes it easier to pull, who knows...all I know is right now I can pretty much take out any slightly modded 4 banger Galant and stock V6s. If you wanna get better 0-60 times you could probably dump all of your power into the low end...

99GalantOn18s
09-24-2002, 03:31 AM
how would u do that?? get a cam gear and set it for the low end of the rpm???

sebring95
09-24-2002, 09:12 AM
The V6 is weak in the top-end. Gasping for breath around 85mph. It feels fine under normal driving and darned quick to 60mph, but when you blast it at high speeds it just doesn't do much. I'd rather have the low-end acceleration myself, as I normally keep it under 80mph anyway. My sister-in-law has a Celica GTS and it will flat-out scoot at those high speeds, but you've got to keep the revs up. Dead off the line though. Unless you want a big-ass engine, it's tough to get something with both high and low-end power. I can assure you a vette feels ripe at either end.

RedGalant2k1
09-24-2002, 12:06 PM
Want more low end power? get a turbo.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rallifan)</div><div class='quotemain'>Oh well we just lost the Dragonball Z theme https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif</div>

how'd i kill the theme? lol

sebring95
09-25-2002, 12:49 PM
Gasping for breath?
I pretty much only know what I read here (besides what I know from driving it), but the top end is where we have our best power. We are weak off the line, then somewhere in 3rd we start seeing some real power.

Well I'll tell ya, mine sucks above 70. It's quite a rocket to that point though. Maybe I got a hot-one on low-end I don't know. I used to have V6 Camrys which all the tests I've read put the Galant V6 very close to the Camry V6 in 0-60mph testing. My Galant is substantially quicker to 60 than either of my three Camrys. But above 70, the Galant is much slower. I could go from 60-130mph in the Camry and it would happen very fast and effortlessly. I've never taken the galant much over 90-100mph because it just feels like it's gasping. I recently had a little race out a very hilly/curvy road with a 5.9L V8 Reg. Cab Dodge Dakota. In the handling department I kept up with him just fine, but trying to run at 90mph with him was a lot of work. He could pull away on most any small hill because the Galant was downshifting and still not gaining much. On the highway, pulling out to pass someone is no where near as quick as the Camrys were. It's almost comparable to my Cherokee on the top-end, at least in my car. But that makes me concerned about doing any performance mods because I don't want to lose my low-end. My Galant is quite quick for a sedan on the 0-60 type run, and I've driven much quicker vehicles. Maybe I'll try to time the 0-60, although I rarely get to drive it. Personally, I'm guessing it's in the 7-second range which is better than I remember any of the mags getting. I've timed my Cherokee to 60 in about 8.5 seconds and the Galant is noticably quicker than that.

Reelax
09-28-2002, 02:03 PM
my car is slow.

:roll: