PDA

View Full Version : Headlights Question

Lazarus
09-21-2002, 10:53 AM
I was wondering if you Guys think it is safe to open the Headlight housing on an 8Gen? And for those of you that Have What did you use to seal it with and have you had any problems with the headlight fogging up or water leakage? I have a couple puffs of air from when they painted my car inside my housing and Also a couple fragmented Pieces of the yellow Lense I want to take out also. Thanks in advance.

Reelax
09-21-2002, 01:30 PM
i took my JDM's apart by first removing all the metal clips around the lens perimeter then taking a hair dryer and melting all the glue / sealant (this takes forever btw) and prying the housing apart; be very careful not to break the black rear part of the housings. on the JDM's you need to remove a phillips head screw to remove the amber corner lens. then i replaced the screw and put the housings back together w/ as much of the glue / sealant that was left and then i added a fresh bead all the way around of windshield silicone for glass and plastic then finallyreplaced the metal clips. i have no leaks and no condensation.

also try asking ASTIG who did the projector lights mod. he had to do the same thing. he would know best on how to take apart the US specs and seal them back up.

GalantUSA
09-21-2002, 01:44 PM
I just took mine apart again a couple of days ago. Just use a hairdryer and heat up the seam and pull the clear & black pieces apart. I didn't use anything to reseal it. Whatever was on there works fine. The first time I did it was about 2 yrs ago and haven't had any problems.

pinoyesv6
09-22-2002, 07:48 PM
just becareful when doing it. fniish one headlight before starting the next one. u'd rather have one messed up headlight than two of them. uhm take ur time too. if u rush it, things will go wrong. as for the seal, i recommend just like reelax said using smoe new silicon. as for leaks well once the silicon is cured u might wanna fill up the headlight with distilled water and check for leaks and seal em if any

Lazarus
09-23-2002, 12:19 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pinoyesv6)</div><div class='quotemain'>just becareful when doing it. fniish one headlight before starting the next one. u'd rather have one messed up headlight than two of them. uhm take ur time too. if u rush it, things will go wrong. as for the seal, i recommend just like reelax said using smoe new silicon. as for leaks well once the silicon is cured u might wanna fill up the headlight with distilled water and check for leaks and seal em if any</div>

Yeah I can't do it now. I wasn't paying attention to the Headlights when we put the kit on and Now I have to go through Hell and Back to get them off so I am not going to worry about it. I am just going to get ome really lonf Q-tips and try that with some rubbing Alcohol To Clean it.