PDA

View Full Version : Full set of gauges - good deal? Tips for Install?

BlankMan
02-19-2004, 11:41 PM
So I'm getting a full set of 6 AC Autotechnic reverse indiglo (not S7) gauges for $195 shipped. I think it's gonna look sweet with 3 in the center console and 3 on a the A-pillar, complimented by my AC reverse cluster 8) .

I'm getting all electrical (no mechanical) versions of:
oil pressure
oil temperature
turbo/boost
electric volt
water temperature
Air/Fuel

First question - this was the best deal I could work - does anyone know if they go for a lower price elsewhere? Best I've found next to this is around $270-280 shipped for all.

Second question - any tips or tricks I should be aware of with the installations? I think install should be pretty easy as far as connecting to the right systems - but I'm wondering if each gauge will need it's own inverter if I could tie all in to one (larger) inverter. Any one know on that one?

And on a side note - tomorrow afternoon I will FINALLY get on the dyno and get some fine-tuning done! YAH! That is, if we don;t get the 4 inches of snow they are forcasting for tonight... and it's nigh time, too. My powerband seems to have fallen off of late and I think I have either a mixture or vacuum problem - so this should help me figure out what and where.

J

Fishboy55
02-20-2004, 04:27 AM
Yea, thats's a great price for 6 gauges. Yes, each one has it's own inverter The inverter is actually hard wired on the gauge (at least on the S7's) but it's really small. About the size of a nickel, so it should tuck in the pod pretty easily with room to spare. Word of advise, leave plenty of slack in the wires from the guages as you run down the pod. This will make it easier to adjust them once you remount the A pillar, and also a lot easier to remove the A pillar if needed in the future. You can zip tie the wires and just run them down the pillar with no problem. I noticed my S7 pod gauges were a lot deeper than the Autometer Lunars I'm replacing. Don't know if thats true with the reverse ones, but it doesn't look like a problem.

A/F isn't hard except you need to run the wire directly from your ECU to the gauge. That's the only place you can tap the O2 sensor because of the voltage. You can easily run the wireall the way across the dash from the back. I beleive the pin number on the ECU you want to tap is #72, and the wire color is blue.

Volt is easy, and I tapped mine to the hot side of the fuse box, so it reads all the time, not just when the car is on. I like knowing I've got enough juice.

Oil Pressure/Oil temp are both a bitch unless you use this trick I found. There's an adapter that screws in between the block and your oil filter that provides taps for the oil sender units. Much easier than dealing with the stock sender and possibly having to change plug thread sizes.

Water temp is easy, the connector for it is right on the water neck on the block.

Never done boost/vac, and not sure what you tap off for the electric version of that gauge. Mechanical would be easy, but can't help you with electrical.

Hope that helps. In some cases, being an OG with experience helps. https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

8ggalant
02-20-2004, 08:23 AM
all boost gauges are technically "mechanical" because u have to use a vaccuum line or hose to feed air pressure to the gauge...only thing electric is the light...and as far as hookin it up...i did it on my 1g but im not sure if its the same for our g's....and i dont remeber anyway :oops: ..let me kno when u find out cuz i need to kno too haha

a/f is pin 71 on the i4 ecu....but if u dont feel like rippin yer dash apart u can run it to the main o2 sensor on yer exhaust manny...tap the WHITE wire...

hope i helped a little :?

BlankMan
02-20-2004, 09:27 AM
Thanks for the tips, guys. A little fore-info always helps to speed installation.

Chip - why is it neccessry to tap the O2 at the ECU? You say b/c of voltage - but is that because a reading straight from the O2 is too high? Too low?

I already have a t-fitting on the stock oil-sender unit from the SDS oil lines install. I think I'll have to wait until I get the gauges to see the easiest way to tap the oil feed. I've seen the adapters Chip mentions, but not sure if that would be my best way to go.

As for the vac/boost - yeah, now that I actually think about it, it would be mechanical in nature unless it employes some sender unit as well. No problem with that, though, since I already have a vacuum line in the cabine connected to the MAP sensor from the SDS kit. I'll just T into that.

At any rate, can't wait to get these installed!

J

Fishboy55
02-20-2004, 10:14 AM
Jay,

I need to check my docs back at home, but I remember Autometer saying the voltage direct from the sensor is unstable. I'll let you know what I find.

BlankMan
02-20-2004, 11:00 AM
Thanks, Chip - I'll look for the info later...

J

Wolfman
02-20-2004, 11:41 AM
just curious as to if you wanna keep an eye on your tranny with a tranny temp gauge? suggestion though its up to you.

Fishboy55
02-20-2004, 02:35 PM
Thanks, Chip - I'll look for the info later...

J
Good thing I keep documentation J. Autometer says to connect the gauge to the wiring harness and not directly to the O2 sensor because the sensor uses shielded wire. The signal wire for the gauge is not shielded so incorrect readings and/or damage to the O2 sensor could result.

Chip

BlankMan
02-21-2004, 05:19 PM
Good Thing! https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

Thanks, Chip, that makes perfect sense. But I think if I connect to the harness side of the 02 - not at the ECU - I should get the same results. Does that make sense?

J

Xska55
05-06-2004, 06:46 PM
my a/f gauge is also hooked up to the 02 harness which is not really the right way im told, its more like an easy way out but im gonna tap it into the ecu cuz i just recently been having problems with my 02 sensor and i changed it for a new one ($140 for your info) and after a couple of months its starting to give me false readings again, i dont know if that was the reason for it but i have nothing to lose besides its the proper way to do it,,,,, Chip says its pin #72 and 8Ggalant says its #71 ,, which one is right?

pinoyesv6
05-06-2004, 07:27 PM
what year and engine??

Xska55
05-06-2004, 07:33 PM
2000 4cyl.

pinoyesv6
05-06-2004, 07:45 PM
for the 4 cyl, its pin 71.

Xska55
05-06-2004, 07:51 PM
thanks pinoy

charris
01-19-2009, 12:51 PM
all boost gauges are technically "mechanical" because u have to use a vaccuum line or hose to feed air pressure to the gauge...only thing electric is the light...and as far as hookin it up...i did it on my 1g but im not sure if its the same for our g's....and i dont remeber anyway :oops: ..let me kno when u find out cuz i need to kno too haha

a/f is pin 71 on the i4 ecu....but if u dont feel like rippin yer dash apart u can run it to the main o2 sensor on yer exhaust manny...tap the WHITE wire...

hope i helped a little :?

I'm pretty sure you can get electrical ones. The boost gauge only needs the sensor on location. Once it has a reading, an electrical sensor will take the resultant voltage, amplify it, and send it to the gauge. The gauge just reads the input voltage from the electronic sender and spits out a reading.

*Edit

Thanks, Pinoyesv76. I also have a 2000 I4. I'll keep that pin # referenced.

*Edit 2

Wow, I just resurrected a 4yr old thread. I'm sorry everyone, just ignore my idiotic failure to read.