PDA

View Full Version : Apexi N1 turbo muffler installed!

Sillyasianz
02-21-2004, 08:29 PM
Aliright I got it installed. As of night now im running the stock motor, RPW header, 2.5 piping (not mandrel bent) and the apexi turbo n1. It sounds like shit when i gas hard (anything over 2,000-2,500 rpm). At low its deep and nice. Will it get a bit better in a while? Just installed it yesterday night. I hear it takes 2 weeks to a month and a half to break it in. Is that so? I am getting a turbo set-up on the car soon. 14b turbo and many parts off a 1g dsm and a starion intercooler. the manifold will be off the dsm. what can i do for now to make the muffler better? Should i get the high flow cat for now? I can get the turbo parts soon (only costing me 500.00 for what I listed and alot of other goodies), but no fuel regulator and other digital parts to maintain the turbo, so have to save up, which of the basic bolt on parts of the soon turbo, can i install to deepen the muffler and loose the raspy crap? I may just be talking stupid and not be able to install any parts until its all ready, risking loss of HP, but if its just hp and is possible to run parts to make it sound better im willing to do that. Do I need something called a resonator? my friend told me about it.
The turbo is more for looks then power, i have had enough cop problems already.

Sillyasianz
02-22-2004, 12:11 AM
just realized my headers are cracked. its raining here and some smoke coming out of the headers. not too much but a little. can i put the turbo manifold on, or should i try and fix the headers, or re install the stock one? that maybe causing the crap noise.

02-22-2004, 01:20 AM
Don't bother with a starion front mount. They aren't really all they're cracked up to be. Just shell out a few extra bucks, go to www.johnnyracecar.com , and buy a 5" front mount for like $190

Mante
02-22-2004, 11:55 AM
Your building your car step by step with the goal being FI! Whats a few months of dealing with the sound its not like your NEW hear and havent heard 1000+ other I4 owners say the same thing. Grin and bear the annoyance, if it still persists after your 14b *which I doubt* then address it. You can not purchase cheaper mufflers and expect top knotch tones Apexi, Obx and the like are just that CHEAP! You get what you pay for!

Skip hte starion fmic while your at it, unless your really doing this on a small budget. Did I read FI for looks? if your doing this for looks sell all your parts and paint your car bright orange!

Sillyasianz
02-22-2004, 01:22 PM
so then what would be an expensive muffler. this aint no ebay bomez or whatever muffler. It aint a knock off either. it cost 195.00. A full catback system is atleast 500.00. I searched that on the 3g eclipse forum. So for a muffler itself I thought that price was good. Second, more for looks in regards to shows. I wanted to build a show car with a bit power to back it up. I didnt build it solely for running it. bright orange...man. :roll: as for the fmic, at the 14b turbo, it is good enough. I dont need some huge one. Yes, this is a budgeted project. I am working close with a few people to make sure I dont spend too much and have it working with no leaks. Im here in Los Angeles. One slip with the cops is an automatic seizure of your car (for good). Im not about to spend 3000+ at RRE for a setup for a daily driven car. THATS a waste of money.

DryBear
02-22-2004, 06:08 PM
How about a Remus muffler?

02-22-2004, 06:13 PM
I could have sworn i posted in here twice.

mjc1055
02-22-2004, 06:16 PM
I could have sworn i posted in here twice.

Now you did.

HeadAche
02-22-2004, 08:14 PM
If your running this project on a budget you might as well stop before you fuck up your whole car. If you cant do it right the first time no reason to do it at all... NObody tries to put on a turbo charger just to get a lil power, we do it to get a whole lot of power. The way i see it, once your down with the lil project of yours and somethign breaks your gonna have a huge issue of trying to fix it. i say take a step back and look at what your getting yourself into.

pinoyesv6
02-22-2004, 09:37 PM
your exhaust isn't sounding hte best it could because you have a turbo muffler. you aren't producing enough of them good exhaust gasses to get that muffler working like it should.

a resonator or a silencer would help quiet things down. maybe make tings sound a lil better too

Sillyasianz
02-23-2004, 03:16 AM
Well I havent bought any of the parts yet. But as I said before, im working on it with a few people. two guys that have been working on starion turbos and eclipse for many years. they also currently work under the master tech at the nearby subaru dealership and are only 20 years old. I am also dealing with a local muffler shop that has alot of respect in the street scene. They have already told me that my setup will be very novice in power, but good for someone like me who has never dealt with turbo. the install will be clean and correct. I have no problem or worries. Before any parts are bolted on I will be educated on how to properly maintain my car.

um, yea. well thanks for the opinions. i think.

8ggalant
02-23-2004, 08:51 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(HeadAche)</div><div class='quotemain'>If your running this project on a budget you might as well stop before you fuck up your whole car. If you cant do it right the first time no reason to do it at all... NObody tries to put on a turbo charger just to get a lil power, we do it to get a whole lot of power. The way i see it, once your down with the lil project of yours and somethign breaks your gonna have a huge issue of trying to fix it. i say take a step back and look at what your getting yourself into.</div>

i totally agree...now think about this...most starion intercoolers have cracks at the welds, bent fins, etc...most 14b's need rebuild (bushings and seals) or ther just totally f'd and u just need a new one...u kno how much both of these pieces cost new....the same price u can get both aftermarket...just ask headache how much i was talkin about spendin and how much ive actually spent...and im still not done...like he said...just thoroughly think about this...then waht if sumthin breaks...i kno u trust yer mechs...but that doesnt guarantee yer 8 yr old 14b is gonna holdup...jus think hard bro...im not knockin waht yer tryin to do..but ive been researchin and collectin parts for a while now...just my .02

Sillyasianz
02-24-2004, 04:01 AM
thanks man. now thats some advice. I'll look into it more before I get it. But my friend is selling me the parts and have been friends for a long time. Imma be picking the parts up and letting a few people look over them, even take them apart to see the condition before I pay for anything. we'll see...

8ggalant
02-24-2004, 05:47 AM
thanks man. now thats some advice. I'll look into it more before I get it. But my friend is selling me the parts and have been friends for a long time. Imma be picking the parts up and letting a few people look over them, even take them apart to see the condition before I pay for anything. we'll see...

glad i could help..but yea thats the smart thing to do...because when i 1st started this project like 2 yrs ago on my 7g...i knew nothing about turbo...so guess how much i spent for a 2g fwd oem downpipe, starion fmic (with leaks), busted (didnt know cuz i didnt kno what to look 4) 14b turbo, 2g exhaust manifold, 2g o2 housing and a few other miscellaneous parts......2k...yup...i got my assed handed to me...so long story short research research and more research...i kno u have friends that are helpin but the more u kno about whats goin on with yer motor (and comprehend whats goin on), the more u kno for yerself..the better off yer gonna be

8ggalant
02-24-2004, 05:50 AM
oh and is yer n1 angled like a n1 catback or does it just point str8 out...just curious... :twisted: