PDA

View Full Version : Dealer didn't even change my tranny filter

Gilhuly
02-23-2004, 08:49 PM
I just took my 8G into Shelton Mitsubishi (CT)today for the $99 tranny flush, which I thought was a pretty good deal for a full flush. When I got my car back to work I checked under the hood and they hadn't changed the spin-off tranny filter which a lot of the 99s have. What do you guys think of that? I chewed their asses out over the phone, but the service manager was more interested in reading me the fine print from the coupon than getting at my concern. Think about it, I have an 8G with 108k (which I love) and I could buy any car they sell with a check and this prick wants to be right. I'll have to drive over and show him the STI or Forester XT or Legacy Turbo I buy next door next year.

TomL
02-23-2004, 09:53 PM
I just took my 8G into Shelton Mitsubishi (CT)today for the $99 tranny flush, which I thought was a pretty good deal for a full flush. When I got my car back to work I checked under the hood and they hadn't changed the spin-off tranny filter which a lot of the 99s have. What do you guys think of that? I chewed their asses out over the phone, but the service manager was more interested in reading me the fine print from the coupon than getting at my concern. Think about it, I have an 8G with 108k (which I love) and I could buy any car they sell with a check and this prick wants to be right. I'll have to drive over and show him the STI or Forester XT or Legacy Turbo I buy next door next year.

I also did the $99 tranny flush but went on Saturday. You mention that the 99s have a spinn-off tranny filter. I have a 2000 I4, is it the same type of set up. If not, how can I check if they did what they were supposed to do?

I know what you mean about Shelton Mits., although I've never had a problem with the service, it's always been the sales guys. That's why I ended up buying my Galant from Denbury although I used to drive an Eclipse that I bought at Shelton Mits.

Gilhuly
02-24-2004, 10:04 AM
One of the I4 guys could answer better, but I believe it is all inside the pan on evrything after sometime in 99. I don't think the external filter was probably ever on the I4.

GottMan
02-26-2004, 02:19 AM
Wow thats alot of money for a flush...you know all a flush is, is putting your old transmission fluid in a machine supposedly cleaning it and putting it back in your transmission...maybe that is why they didn't change out the filter...I own a 7g and changed out my own tranny fluid...drain the fluid in a oil catcher...unbolted the tranny bolts, drop the tranny pan and swap out the filter which is inside the tranny...bolt the tranny pan back up and pour in about 2-3 quarts of fresh new tranny fluids...all for about $20-30 including a case of tranny fluid and a tranny filter kit

pinoyesv6
02-26-2004, 08:40 AM
all for about $20-30 including a case of tranny fluid and a tranny filter kit

some dealers don't carry a tranny fluid flushing machine. many dealers have to do it manually.

for the 8g you need like 10 quarts of tranny oil to flush the tranny. and its not 20-30 dollars a case. just cuz its like 6-8 dollars a quart for the tranny fluid. and i don't recommend using the usual stuff on autozone's shelves for the 8g, it won't run as smooth as the dealer fluid.

so looking at it that way, 100 dollars isnt' that bad. doing it yourself is pretty messy.

but yea, it would be nice if they changed the filter, or even asked u if u wanted them to. its kinda like doing an oil change and not changing the oil filter.

BIGMONEYDAY
02-27-2004, 06:36 PM
I had the same thing happen to me a few weeks ago when I had my transmission flushed on my 99 ES V6. However my ride has about 186K on it when I had my tranny flushed. I'm cool with the techs at My Mitsu dealer, so I asked why didn't they change the filter, especially since I have so many miles on mine. They claim that when the system is flushed, they don't have to change the filter, cause it pushs out all the particles trapped in there. Which I responded, "Ahh..yeah..ok...but I still requested a new filter." They told me to go around to the parts department and buy one, and they would install it for no extra charge. But since they said that it is easy to do, since it is mounted on top, I decided to change it myself once I got home, once the car had cooled down.

kamilw
02-27-2004, 06:54 PM
I think 2000+ do not have a filter. I've never been to Shelton mitsu, I always go to Executive in Wallingford. They are good, quick, and don't overcharge for stuff. They even give free oil changes and car washes. It's not too much of a drive, but for me it's worth it. The service is just excellent.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Gilhuly)</div><div class='quotemain'>One of the I4 guys could answer better, but I believe it is all inside the pan on evrything after sometime in 99. Â*I don't think the external filter was probably ever on the I4.</div>

nrgizeman
02-28-2004, 03:09 PM
i dont remember mine as called tranny flush, but i paid $75 and got filter replaced along with oils. and yes this was done at champaign, il mitsubishi dealer.