PDA

View Full Version : Car Noise

silvex
09-22-2002, 08:38 AM
when getting these mods... (headers, exhaust, etc...)
is it possible to make the car NOT make noise?
i see all these cars out there that have a deep rumbling
noise and trying to show off or what not...
but i like quiet cars, yet i want some extra power than stock...
something like a silent killer... heh :wink:

is this possible?
i also heard that intakes make alot of noise too (after 3500rpms or such)

if possible, how can i reduce the noise or have my car NOT make noise at all...

thanks in advance for the replies....

TJC
09-22-2002, 10:58 AM
Sorry, only big restrictions on both ends is going to give you stock quietness. It's just not possible b/c the openings are bigger and more sound will come straight out. Anything that is going to hinder or dampen the sound coming out is going to decrease your performance. Some manufacturers are better at dampening sound but only up to a point. You can however make it relatively sleeper up to 2500-3000 rpm. After that, it gets loud on both ends.

Auto-9
09-22-2002, 11:03 AM
Yep that's the whole concept in the variable stuff (like Nissan's variable muffler)...keeps the car quiet cruising but loud and open when you need power.

Lazarus
09-22-2002, 03:16 PM
You can keep the noise only so low. Like you can get an exaust but you may need to keep a resignator on it and also the silencer in the end. Although they keep the car kinda quiet you loose a little with them on. Also if you switch to a CAI you don't hear the sucking sound as much because the intake is under the engine.

pinoyesv6
09-22-2002, 07:41 PM
many mods like intake and exhaust make noise because of something moving. in some cases its air flowing through the intake pipe or exhaust gasses flwoign through the exhaust or maybe a turbo spooling up. i mean like with the gasses, if its gonna be moving faster cuz there is less restriction its gonna make some noise. its kinda like breathing, u can breath normal and be quiet, and then u can start breathing hot and heavy and make alot of noise. chooing the right parts will help u out.