PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust: What *exactly* is the difference between...

BlankMan
02-24-2004, 09:21 PM
What *exactly* is the difference between the 3g eclipse and 8g galant cat-back exhaust? I've read we have a *slightly* longer run after the axle, right? But can someone tell me the actual length? Also, if I got a cat-back setup for the 3g eclipse, would a reputable shop be able to just cut and add in the additional length? Would doing that negate any performance increase the cat-back would add?

I really need a cat back to compliment the SDS, header and mid-pipe and I don't belive one's going to be produced anytime soon...

Anyone with an 8g catback already installed - what did you do? besides custom piping, that is, b/c no one here does mandrel bends and I don't want to be stuck with press-bends.

Thanks!

J

** edit**
One I'm really looking at is the Magnaflow... it just looks so purty!

http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/cat-backs/gifs/mistubishipic.jpg

8ggalant
02-24-2004, 11:56 PM
prophet told me that its a longer run over the axle (like u said)...and yes a reputable shop would do it.....

but imo bro...those exhaust systems arn't really showin much improvemetn over stock/custom systems....so i'd suggest havint the same reputable shop make u a cat back with flanges so that it is a bolt on system...im gettin my 3" turbo back exhaust done locally for 100 + the price of mufflerand hiflo cat ...the price includes piping, flanges, bending and welding....id think u should try that imo...now on the other hand if the local exhaust shop want 3-400 dollars then it'd be worth it to buy the catback

Prophet
02-24-2004, 11:59 PM
The bends are the same but your going to have to add about ten inches of piping to the exhaust. Now any shop should be able to cut and add but what you will end of doing is ruining the whole research and developement that went into that exhaust. We didn't worry about it when we placed a Greddy catback on to the 8G because the gains from it would have only been 2 to 3 hp anyway.

Now I am assuming you already have the SDS (sorry I don't visit here to much) so your going to want to run either a 2.5 or 3.0 piping anyway. What I would do which you probably already have done is find a shop that can manderal bend. Search everywhere because it would be alot better to do a custom catback with a muffler you want and it might run cheaper then buying a $500.00 catback and have to cut it and reinstall piping which will probably run you another $200.00 install.

Reelax
02-25-2004, 04:50 AM
yep prophet is correct. my car was measured for a cat back from MPHUnlimited (now gone) back in 2001(2) in an attempt to fit their 3.0" Eclipse turbo cat back onto the galant. the biggest and only modification they had to make to their eclipse piping was about 10" of additional piping after the axle. it was a over the axle unit btw. best bet is to find a shop that will do mandrel bends and use the stock bolt up points and add a universal muffler. that's what i have in 2.75" piping w/ a THERMAL R&D straight thru race muffler, and i was ale to keep my stock resonator (which they said was not that restrictive). the biggest restrictions in our cars' exhaust are the precats on the cali specs.

BlankMan
02-25-2004, 09:06 AM
Good points on all accounts guys - thanks for the replies!

Prophet - yeah, i have the SDs, header and mid-pipe w/HFC already on.

I want to go with 2.5" - really don't see the need or benefit of going 3.0".

My problem - maybe it's unique - is that NO shops around here do Mandrel bends! Can you believe that? hehe That's my biggest issue and why I was looking at an after-market cat-back over custom...

Hey Kevin - it sounds like you're getting a great deal. Are they doing stainless or other? Are you getting it all mandrel bent? What would you say if they made 2 custom cat-backs - 1 for your car and 1 for mine (cat-back only, in 2.5")? I'd pay for shipping and include a bit for your time, of course... Lemme know if you think we could work somehting like that.

J

pinoyesv6
02-25-2004, 12:33 PM
all of the shops that i know of in my area don't do mandrel bends either. a mandrel bender is really expensive and most shops don't have the funds to invest in one.

the shops in my area that does do mandrel bends carry lots of prebent mandrel pipe and cut and weld things to fit. that could be an option.

i know for the aftermarket part of my exhaust, i bought some mandrel bent pipe and just brought it to the shop for them to put it together. thats another option for you.

BlankMan
02-25-2004, 01:12 PM
Yep - good point, too - and I looked at that option. Unforunately, by the time I get the bends needed - at $15-$25 per (I think there was 5 needed) - then have the shop put it all together, including the cost of a resonator, muffler, hangers, flanges, etc., I'm back up in the price range of an aftermarket eclipse cat-back. I'mn telling ya, 8ggalant has a great deal going with what he wrote above.

So... back on that... is it a straight 10" pipe that needs to be added before the muffler? That seem's easy enough and shouldn't affect any tuning of the setup.

I wish I had an under car shot of an eclipse and galant to compare...

J

8ggalant
02-25-2004, 01:29 PM
Yep - good point, too - and I looked at that option. Unforunately, by the time I get the bends needed - at $15-$25 per (I think there was 5 needed) - then have the shop put it all together, including the cost of a resonator, muffler, hangers, flanges, etc., I'm back up in the price range of an aftermarket eclipse cat-back. I'mn telling ya, 8ggalant has a great deal going with what he wrote above.

So... back on that... is it a straight 10" pipe that needs to be added before the muffler? That seem's easy enough and shouldn't affect any tuning of the setup.

I wish I had an under car shot of an eclipse and galant to compare...

J

me too bro...unfortunately thats press bent not mandrel...but if we got the bends he might be able to hook us up...i never thought of that...hmmmm....im pretty sure it wouldnt be a problem...u said u already have a hiflo cat right...ill ask both my connections (have 2 shops tryin to decide which to use)....i dont kno if its stainless or not either..ill also find out about that...we'll keep this posted here in case more peeple are interested ...when he makes my exhaust we'll get measure ments so more can be made by request if need be...oh and i need to kno which flange yer hfc uses so we can have a matching flange on the catback side....ill let u kno...ill try to get over to the one shop and email my other connect