PDA

View Full Version : Few Questions about things to get when going turbo

Wolfman
02-26-2004, 01:18 AM
I am curious because I've been reading alot lately about the AAI turbo kit that has been made for the 3g eclipse and am curious what kind of other things would be needed that are not on here. Things I can think of are LSD and Transmission cooler(who makes them for our trannys), a better radiator(who makes good ones that will do a good job that I probably would run royal purple), maybe at some point internals but the eclipse guys seem to be okay runnin 11psi on stock internals I think RPW makes pistons, rods, cams etc, any other companies that are good?), catback obviously, probably custom made from mandrel bent stainless steel 3" piping, and some sort of piggyback fuel mamagement system like emanage or S-AFC, Is there anything else that is needed for a turbo setup besides this and guages? Thanks for replying.

sethmo
02-26-2004, 07:34 AM
Have a link to this kit? I always think it is best to piece together your own kit, therefore buying the exact parts you want and what not. Plus it is usually cheaper

8ggalant
02-26-2004, 09:15 AM
Things I can think of are LSD and Transmission cooler(who makes them for our trannys), a better radiator(who makes good ones that will do a good job that I probably would run royal purple), maybe at some point internals but the eclipse guys seem to be okay runnin 11psi on stock internals I think RPW makes pistons, rods, cams etc, any other companies that are good?), catback obviously, probably custom made from mandrel bent stainless steel 3" piping, and some sort of piggyback fuel mamagement system like emanage or S-AFC, Is there anything else that is needed for a turbo setup besides this and guages? Thanks for replying.

1. tranny coolers are universal...but imo..if yer bout to rebuild a motor and buy a turbo kit (both totall will easily run u at least 5500-6k) id just do a manual swap...u get more power to the ground and the only upgrades u need is a clutch-maybe a lightend flywheel, and a shortshifter, and if u wanna spend summore money lsd...but i personally know 2 peeple runnin over 300 whp thru the eclipse tranny with no lsd

2. radiator upgrade is a smart ideal seeing that u obviously plan on puttin out sum hp....im not sure who makes one for our application...but u might be able to look into getting a upgrade made for a dsm or a honda (the honda ones are small but REALLY efficient).

3. internals are a must imo...even if u plan on boostin low...yer stocks arnt gonna hold up forever...u can use rods made for a 4g63 they just have to machined...pm me for the specs...also rods are already made for our car...but i cant rember by who...a little research and u'll find em

4. weisco and je already make pistons for our car...talk to rre..or just send je yer piston for a custom application...www.slowboyracing.com and www.barnonemotorsports.com can get u weisco's of any bore and compression from 399-475 + shipping

5. our cam (single) upgrade is only currently made by rpw but im sure u can get one custom made if u want....rpw also make upgraded valvesprings...the rest of yer head parts will have to be custom try call zex or go to www.zex.com

6. there are a few catbacks that we are trying to get made...aai is willing to make us one if we can get a donor car to drive to sarasota fla and get it test fitted on ther car...other than that yer stock getting it custome made...

4. there are quite a few piggypacks apexi s-afc, greddy e-manage, and a few others....s-afc is very simple, e-manage needs a laptop...the choices are up to u...

the aii kit comes with all the fuel upgrades u need so u should be fine therr untill u want to upgrade...therfor u should probly ask them to upgrade everything now so u dont have to do it over again later...just depends on yer budget....

i highly recommend dyno tuning....the kit is bolt on but everycar reacts different and i wouldnt recommend boltin it on and raggin the hell outta the car...sure they say its reliable...but u dont kno that unless u do the install yerself (if yer mechanically inclined) and u get it properly tuned...oh and u will not see the avertized hp without tuning....

i think thats it....good luck man...if i forgot anything im sure sum one will fill it in...and u can pm me if u want and ill help the best that i can...

02-26-2004, 09:27 AM
as for the radiator issue, just buy a jug of water wetter, i forget who it's made by (i think royal purple). It has a very high specific heat while still maintaining a very high boiling point. It will make you run anywhere from 30-40 degrees cooler.

DryBear
02-26-2004, 11:07 AM
I think this is the turbo kit in question:
http://www.acceleratedautosports.com/ ('http://www.acceleratedautosports.com/')

Club 3G Forum thread:
http://www.eclipseforums.org/forum/showthr...threadid=100136 ('http://www.eclipseforums.org/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=100136')

DryBear
02-26-2004, 11:59 AM
as for the radiator issue, just buy a jug of water wetter, i forget who it's made by (i think royal purple). It has a very high specific heat while still maintaining a very high boiling point. It will make you run anywhere from 30-40 degrees cooler.

Is this the stuff?
http://www.redlineoil.com/redlineoil/wwti.htm ('http://www.redlineoil.com/redlineoil/wwti.htm')

Wolfman
02-26-2004, 12:32 PM
I think this is the turbo kit in question:
http://www.acceleratedautosports.com/ ('http://www.acceleratedautosports.com/')

Club 3G Forum thread:
http://www.eclipseforums.org/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=100136 yes these links are the ones I have been lookign at. Thanks for all the info 8ggalant. Thats definitely informative. So a new radiator may not be totally necessary Scottin, just flush out the entire system and use this stuff? and I'm not sure about doing manual tranny swap, I'm thinking tranny cooler and Quaife lsd will cover it fine seeing our auto trannys I've heard can handle atleast 300hp. that'll probably cost less than a manual swap and 13-14's is fine with me for a time, I like speed, but don't wanna get carried away. :wink: Thanks for all the info guys that helps alot.

02-26-2004, 01:07 PM

Is this the stuff?
http://www.redlineoil.com/redlineoil/wwti.htm
yes that's te stuff. I couldn't remember if it was redline synthetics or royal purple https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

Wolfman
02-26-2004, 10:54 PM
Would it be worth the money to get a port and polish if doing the internals?
especially since RPW offers this plus valve springs and camshaft/camgear as a package.

BlankMan
02-27-2004, 12:50 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wolfman)</div><div class='quotemain'>I've heard can handle atleast 300hp..</div>

Actually, I believe the auto tranny is rated for a 600HP load. But the thing is you are going to loose more power to wheels through an auto than a manual. Only example I can think of at the moment is a post I just read over at the 3G board where an auto GT (v6) put down 145HP to the wheels yet a manual put down 170HP - both stock. So efficiency - rather than if the tranny could handle it - is a key deciding factor.

J

Wolfman
02-27-2004, 01:16 AM
Even with LSD, and all internal work done, having an auto tranny will be fine by my standards, because having all that done will still produce pretty nice and high numbers. I realize there is some loss with auto but hey you still get quite a fast car.

sethmo
02-27-2004, 07:30 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BlankMan)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wolfman)</div><div class='quotemain'>I've heard can handle atleast 300hp..</div>

Actually, I believe the auto tranny is rated for a 600HP load. But the thing is you are going to loose more power to wheels through an auto than a manual. Only example I can think of at the moment is a post I just read over at the 3G board where an auto GT (v6) put down 145HP to the wheels yet a manual put down 170HP - both stock. So efficiency - rather than if the tranny could handle it - is a key deciding factor.

J</div>

600hp? stock tranny?????

Where did you pull those numbers out of, your a**?

Only reason pros use auto trannies in drag is when shifting consistency is more important than hp...

ken inn
02-27-2004, 11:01 AM
600 hp on a stock auto transmission? in texas, you would be a couple bricks short of a full load.

BlankMan
02-27-2004, 12:20 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(sethmo)</div><div class='quotemain'>Where did you pull those numbers out of, your a**?</div>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ken inn)</div><div class='quotemain'>600 hp on a stock auto transmission? Â*in texas, you would be a couple bricks short of a full load.</div>

Really. Well thank you both for the colorful comments. I'm not shittin' you and the factory rating for the 8G auto tranny is 600HP. I am traveling now and remote from my home system, but once I get back I'll find the link where I referenced this and post it.

In the mean time, why don't you find something that disproves it? Think you can?

J

02-27-2004, 01:18 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BlankMan)</div><div class='quotemain'>In the mean time, why don't you find something that disproves it? Â*Think you can?</div>
Even if they could, why the hell would you skimp out and not get a manual anyway? Or get that level 10 built auto tranny kit (or whatever)? Wouldn't be worth it. Don't skimp out on integral parts of your car, that's when you fuck shit up.

Wolfman
02-27-2004, 02:13 PM
Thats exactly what I plan on doing, I'll build the engine up with all the internals first and then after that, turbo will be next. That way nothing will be screwed up and it'll be okay to boost. As far as manual verses auto, it doesn't really matter that much to me as long as everything is done right, nothing will be messed up.

BlankMan
02-27-2004, 02:15 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(scootinintegra)</div><div class='quotemain'>Even if they could, why the hell would you skimp out and not get a manual anyway? Or get that level 10 built auto tranny kit (or whatever)? Wouldn't be worth it. Don't skimp out on integral parts of your car, that's when you fuck shit up.</div>

I somewhat agree - which is why my original comments supported a manual over an auto, given the option. but, reliability of the auto transmission hasn't been an issue to date - here or with all the boosted eclipses at club 3g.

j

8ggalant
02-27-2004, 04:15 PM
i dont think anyone answered your question about the cam and camgear but imo if yer doing motor work they are worth the money

Wolfman
02-28-2004, 03:07 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(8ggalant)</div><div class='quotemain'>i dont think anyone answered your question about the cam and camgear but imo if yer doing motor work they are worth the money</div> right, definitely getting rpw cam and cam gear, but what I'm not clear on is is there a turbo specific cam from them or is stage two or three the one to use?