PDA

View Full Version : Check Engine - stayed on finally.. Now what?

brandon
02-26-2004, 07:39 AM
So I had my crankshaft pulley and two driving belts replaced a couple months ago, which I had thought may have been the reason for my sporadic check engine light flashes. Tuesday I had my tranny fluid flushed and refilled, thinking maybe that was another cause.

Nope.

Check engine came on yesterday while in park, idle surged to about 2000 RPM and then settled back down, and the light stayed on.

Took it to Autozone and got the following codes:

P0335 - Crankshaft Sensor
P0505 - Idle Control Sensor
P0120 - TPS Pedal Position Sensor

Should I have the dealer take care of this or is it something I can fix?

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

4-G-rim
02-26-2004, 11:17 AM
I would take it to a dealer....especially when it comes to electrical issues. I wouldn't recommend to fix it yourself unless you know your stuff or know anyone that is a electrical guru.

bronxbombr
02-26-2004, 05:25 PM
Ya i would make the dealer check it out then go about fixing the problem myself if its easy enuff.

brandon
02-27-2004, 08:09 AM
Well I had a new thought yesterday... the functions of those three sensors are all functions of an AFC...

Would I be able to install my AFC and get around the sensors by creating new settings?

sethmo
02-27-2004, 08:13 AM
SAFC messes with the A/F ratio only, nothing else

brandon
02-27-2004, 02:05 PM
Hmm... what am I thinking of then? My bad...

JiP
02-28-2004, 02:20 PM
I'd say thats a wierd set of codes. I cant think of anything that would make those particular 3 show up. If your TPS is waaaay off you could get the idle error, but I have had my TPS set to 48% with no throttle, (by accident) and never got a CEL but my tranny wouldnt shift correctly.

Is your care driveable? Do you have any driving issues?

brandon
03-01-2004, 07:21 AM
The car is driveable... but will occasionally rev to around 2500RPM for a split second while at a stop, and the car will push forward.

Also, while driving, the car seems to stutter just a bit occasionally when giving it gas.

I'm gonna try and see if I can get my hands on an ohmeter and voltage meter and test the TPS and IAC sensors, then replace them if they need replacing.

Hopefully that'll work out and I won't have to worry about the Crankshaft sensor, but we'll see.

JiP
03-01-2004, 01:29 PM
crank sensor is extremely easy to replace...but a major bitch to go to becase you have to take off the lower timing belt cover which is a major anoyance.

Check the TPS make sure its adjusted correctly.

brandon
03-01-2004, 02:07 PM
Well I got quotes from my buddy who works at a dealer, and the sensors are as follows:

TPS: $119.93
IAC: $218.42
Crankshaft: $61.20

Yikes.

Waiting for a call back from my buddy about borrowing his voltage/ohmmeter...

Moosh
03-01-2004, 10:00 PM
Uhh why don't you just buy them used and save like a shitload of money? Message me if you need help

extremsprt86
03-01-2004, 10:06 PM
with all the repairs and maintnece you had done you should make sure the sensors and stuff are all plugged in n stuff, maybe the mechanic forgot? i dunno, thats just what came to mind for me.

brandon
03-04-2004, 08:10 AM
Well I was able to test the throttle position sensor yesterday, and assuming I did it right, found out the sensor is in fact bad.

I went by the Chilton's manual (I think it's section 4-9 or 4-13), and it said to check the voltage at the return circuit sensor and the harness.

The harness checked out fine, and I assumed the "return circuit sensor" (or whatever it said specifically in the manual) was the area where the harness plugs into... I got no voltage present.

brandon
03-23-2004, 08:06 AM
Had my crankshaft sensor, and timing and balance shaft belts replaced yesterday...

Car seems to be running much better.

Just thought I'd give an update.

phizz2k
04-12-2004, 12:57 PM
I am having the same code show up for the throttle body P0505...What was the fix for that one???

brandon
04-12-2004, 01:26 PM
I'd suggest replacing your IAC.

I still haven't replaced mine but will be shortly after I get my new throttle body.