PDA

View Full Version : Stupid suspension questions. Provide stupid answers please.

arcVR4
09-22-2002, 01:53 PM
I know I had asked something similar to this long long ago in the passt but things are different this time around so I thought I'd reinquire. Ok first up springs vs coilovers, I dont plan on more than a 1.5-2" drop, but would the coilovers really provide a worthwhile advantage as far as ride quality and comfort? Next up, looking at some AGX shocks, the nopi TGC store brought up 3 different types of agx shocks for my car, 2 of them are identical in price but different in part number, and the third cost about $40 more but mentions no differences...

Prolab
10-20-2002, 02:08 AM
You didnt bring up any specs about your car, so im just gonna give you a general answer....

If your not planning to change the height of your car, then go with a spring with good shocks. I've heard ppl using GC's paired with their shoxs. But to be honest, i dont trust those things. I'd rather purchase something that is engineered for our/your car. I dont want anything that's 'fit for all' category.

Those AGX shocks are really good for any spirited driving or a bit stiffer than OEM. If you do happen to do some drag racing or road racing, this adj shoxs can let u change the damping characteristics.

Hope that helps

arcVR4
10-20-2002, 02:32 AM
my car is a 92 galant Ls, fwd, weenie 4 cyl

Thanks for the help, I don't think I would be changing my cars height at all after the initial lowering, but was just curious as to whether or not coilovers would prove to be drastically better than normal springs or not. Right now I just want to improve overall handling and such so that I dont feel like im gonna roll my car everytime i take a corner, drag and autox posibilities are a way off...

ken inn
11-26-2002, 04:07 PM
the problem is that very few companies make springs and shocks that are actually for the galant. most are for the t/e/l cars, and the struts and springs are VERY different. dunno about the fwd galants, but if you check, you will see that the agx is made for the t/e/l, the galant front strut is slightly longer, the rear is a LOT longer, and the dampening characteristics are up to 33% different. galant springs are generally softer than t/e/l, but shock dampening is higher on the galant. spring perch on the front strut is slightly taller on the galant. on the vr4, i have had bilstein(special ordered from europe), kyb gr-2(they suck), tein ha(wicked. absolute best), and now koni yellows. the bilsteins and the tien ha's were specifically made for the galant E39, the kyb and the koni is made for the t/e/l cars. the koni with the galant spring on the front is too harsh, works well with the gsx spring. the rear koni has the galant spring, and it works very well. the teins made the car overhandle the tires. amazing response and control, much lower, much stiffer ride. with a better set of tires, you could pass bmw's, and chase porsches easily.

Galant GK1
12-22-2002, 07:52 PM
1 gen eclipse springs n coilover will fit on a 6g galant rite?
if it helps my car is a 93 S FWD.