PDA

View Full Version : Need to be droped...But i need some advice ,-/

IceDouTGaLanT
03-06-2004, 10:47 AM
hey guys its almost summer and its time to drop the galant. i already have rims and an kit comeing just incase you need to know that for ride hight or something.But i was thing coilovers so i can rise it back in the winter. now i want to spend under 700 for everything includeing shocks/struts and the coilovers and what ever need.

Whats the good brand for coilovers? where can i get them any sites or vendors here? what sthe avg price i should pay?

what are good brand of shocks/struts where can i get them any sites or vendors here? what sthe avg price i should pay?

i dont want bounceing when i hit bumps thought. i have an 2000 Es i4 i hope you guys can help thanks in advance.
-Ron

pinoyesv6
03-06-2004, 12:03 PM
dropping a car with coilovers can be done. and for under 700. but you got to think things out.

you can get a set of kyb agx for like 325 shipped. this will help get ride of the bouncyness with the low drop. you can bump down to gr2's or even keep the stock shocks/struts but they won't last very long.

the average install price i've seen is like 200. that will install the shocks struts, and dpeending where you go an alignment. speaking of an alignment, you gotta get that done no matter what. and if the shop that lowered your car doesn't include it, thats like another 60 bucks. you can install it yourself and thats free. but again you still need that alignment.

now for the coilovers. ground control coilovers so far are the best that i've heard of. i mean excluding ones like the teins and the JIC etc. the GC's run for about 400. you can bump down to skunk2's and thats in the 300 dollar range. still good but from what other's have said, not as good as the gc's. you can get lower than that. there's obx coilovers. back in the day buncha people liked them. and for even cheaper you got the dropzone and other ebay coilovers. they suck. don't get them, unless you're desperate. and even if u are, still think about it.

so yea, you might want to rethink things if you have a 700 dollar budget.

COgalant
03-06-2004, 09:35 PM
The only way your going to spend ~700 is with OBX or Dropzone coilovers.

My GC were around 500 with install and thats not even including shocks/struts which run another 325 without install.

Danger DANJ
03-07-2004, 01:37 PM
You can get the Ground Control coilovers for $367 shipped and the KYB AGX struts/shocks for $325 shipped. That's the cheapest I've seen.

http://www.eclipseforums.org/forum/showthr...threadid=143049 ('http://www.eclipseforums.org/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=143049')

http://www.eclipseforums.org/forum/showthr...threadid=119495 ('http://www.eclipseforums.org/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=119495')

If you don't go for that setup, I'd go with the Tein Basic Dampers for $809 shipped. I wouldn't go with anything less than the Ground Control coilovers unless you go with just springs.

Niytrus
03-07-2004, 01:41 PM
If your interested I have a set of Ground Controls for sale for $300 shipped. Let me know if your interested (PM, AIM, or email me). Thanks

IceDouTGaLanT
03-07-2004, 02:23 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>You can get the Ground Control coilovers for $367 shipped and the KYB AGX struts/shocks for $325 shipped. That's the cheapest I've seen. Â*

http://www.eclipseforums.org/forum/showthr...threadid=143049 ('http://www.eclipseforums.org/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=143049') Â*

http://www.eclipseforums.org/forum/showthr...threadid=119495 ('http://www.eclipseforums.org/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=119495') </div>

These are for the eclipse right? Will they fit my galant also what year eclipse parts are these from so I can ask local dealers and see if I can get a better price. but thanks for all the help guys. If I cant find a better price ill go with the one u showed me danj thanks. Also what better koni or those KYB for struts/shocks?

Just to be on the safe side these is the correct parts?
Shocks/Struts
KYB AGX Adjustable Gas Shocks #s 734019, 734020, (2) 741020 - $429 shipped

Coilovers
Ground Control - $367 shipped

Thanks guys really appreciate it
- ron

IceDouTGaLanT
03-07-2004, 02:27 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>I'd go with the Tein Basic Dampers for $809 shipped</div>

that includes the shocks and struts to? if not how much extra will that be? is it an Bigg diffence between the Tein and GC? sorry for askin to many questions but i dont wanna be fwked at the end ,-)

COgalant
03-07-2004, 06:07 PM
Nah man theres no real noticable difference. Your only going to be using the car for everyday use so between the two whichever suits you better economically go for it.

Danger DANJ
03-08-2004, 07:53 AM
Most engine and suspension parts from the 2000-2003 Eclipse will fit the 1999-2003 Galants.

With the Tein Basic Dampers that I mentioned, they include shocks and struts as well. The only thing you will need is the upper mounts from your stock strut and shock assemblies to install the Tein Basic Dampers. I like this setup due to the fact that the struts/shocks are made to work with the springs. However, with the KYB AGX's you can adjust the dampening, where there is no adjustment for dampening on the Tein Basic Dampers. One thing is that even on the softest setting, the KYB AGX's are very stiff. For handling purposes, that's a good thing, but not for comfort.

To my knowledge, there are no Koni front struts available except for the custom ones that I have. For the rear, there are some Koni and Tokico shocks you may want to look at. I've only dealt with the KYB AGX's in the rear, so I couldn't say much about the Koni or Tokico shocks.

pinoyesv6
03-08-2004, 09:35 AM
many places advertise that there is a koni yellow for the front. made for the 3g eclipse. its even in koni's catalog. but what many people don't know is about their install. its not struts taht you are buying. its inserts, just like danj's. and to install you have to cut open the housing on your stock shocks to put them in and then weld that bad boy shut again.

COgalant
03-08-2004, 11:30 AM
Hey David do you know if Tein makes just shocks/struts that will work with GC coilovers?? Im guessing not but you never know...

Danger DANJ
03-09-2004, 06:40 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(COgalant)</div><div class='quotemain'>Hey David do you know if Tein makes just shocks/struts that will work with GC coilovers?? Im guessing not but you never know...</div>

Not that I've ever seen. I wonder why they don't, seeing that they sell springs?

IceDouTGaLanT
03-22-2004, 08:42 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>Just to be on the safe side these is the correct parts? Â*
Shocks/Struts Â*
KYB AGX Adjustable Gas Shocks #s 734019, 734020, (2) 741020 - $429 shipped Â*

Coilovers Â*
Ground Control - $367 shipped </div>

hey guys i went to my local dealer they told me 990 for all the parts above an installed this included everything except the balanceing. i sthis an good deal?..

Okay now i think 900 is to much for being lowred IMO. okay look guys im not going to be in car shows n shyt only need to be low in summer and up in winter. i just want something i can rise and fall but good quilty dosnt have to be the best best. also i noticed these shocks are adjectable tell you the truth im never goign to adject it so i think its waste. any other shocks./sturts which work with the coilovers which are good and wont breake down wintin 2-3 years?.. thanks for the help guys[/url]

COgalant
03-22-2004, 11:14 PM
Grab a set of used Ground Controls. They will run you about 250 or so. Then grab some KYB GR 2's i believed there called. There very good quality...same as the AGX's but not as expensive and non-adjustable.

pinoyesv6
03-23-2004, 09:19 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IceDouTGaLanT)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>Just to be on the safe side these is the correct parts? Â*
Shocks/Struts Â*
KYB AGX Adjustable Gas Shocks #s 734019, 734020, (2) 741020 - $429 shipped Â*

Coilovers Â*
Ground Control - $367 shipped </div>

hey guys i went to my local dealer they told me 990 for all the parts above an installed this included everything except the balanceing. i sthis an good deal?..

Okay now i think 900 is to much for being lowred IMO. okay look guys im not going to be in car shows n shyt only need to be low in summer and up in winter. i just want something i can rise and fall but good quilty dosnt have to be the best best. also i noticed these shocks are adjectable tell you the truth im never goign to adject it so i think its waste. any other shocks./sturts which work with the coilovers which are good and wont breake down wintin 2-3 years?.. thanks for the help guys[/url]</div>

990 could be expensive. it depends how u look at things. well first of all, you quoted like 429 for the agx. if you go to club 3g you can get them for over a hundred dollars less. so that will put you for about 700 for the agx and the ground control. then for install i see 200 dollars tops. so about 100 less than your local shop. dunno why u'd need you wheels balanced after lowering your car (unless they are already out of balance) but you are gonna need a 4 wheel alignment.

but yea for that 900 or so dolalrs you are spending, you aren't just lowering your car. you are adding the ability to adjust you dampening with the agx and more importantly the ability to raise and lower your car at whatever time you want. you could go with lowering springs and save money initially. but then if you wanted to raise up your car, you'd have to spend like almost 200 dollars to raise it back up for winter. and then anotehr 200 to lower it in the spring. something to think about.

mike969mb
03-23-2004, 09:28 AM
how much can you raise and lower your car with the gc coilovers?

thanks mike

pinoyesv6
03-23-2004, 09:40 AM
GC's website says 0 to 3 inches.