PDA

View Full Version : And I was happy 'cuz I got my Galant back today...

ArtyG
03-09-2004, 06:46 PM
i drove up from tallahassee, fl to greenville, sc to pick up my g today. good stuff, the car was supposed to be fixed. after pointing out to the shop owner that a radiator hose was leaking mad antifreeze and that they were missing two belts that ran up with the engine. anyways, all is said and done, but i got some questions.

I just got a new engine. How long does it take for the ECU to "relearn" it's shift points? Does the hardness of the transmission shifting change with a different engine? On the engine itself, the letters "EGK3" is stamped on the side of the header cover and "EGK1" was on the old one. What does that mean? Has any one had serious problems with the wiring harness for the tail lights and dash console? I've already been through two and working on the 3rd....

...any help is GREATLY appreciated. Thanks.

4-G-rim
03-11-2004, 08:47 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ProGect95G)</div><div class='quotemain'>
I just got a new engine. Â*How long does it take for the ECU to "relearn" it's shift points? Â*Does the hardness of the transmission shifting change with a different engine? Â*On the engine itself, the letters "EGK3" is stamped on the side of the header cover and "EGK1" was on the old one. Â*What does that mean? Â*Has any one had serious problems with the wiring harness for the tail lights and dash console? Â*I've already been through two and working on the 3rd....

...any help is GREATLY appreciated. Â*Thanks.</div>

It doesnt really take the ECU to "relearn" new settings....turn on the car and let it idle for about 10 mins. Now...I am assuming you have a A/T tranny, the TCU will also have to relearn your driving habits and shift accordingly. Its normal that your tranny will shift a little weired at first...especially when the TCU is relearning. Now...I haven't or ever read anyone in the boards having problems with the instrument panel wiring harness. You have been through 3 harnesses :shock: ...that I couldnt help you at, but I am sure "JIP" can, he pretty much knows his electrical stuff, especially after talking to him a couple times.

JiP
03-16-2004, 08:25 PM
Sounds like you got a short somewhere that keep buring your harness out. Major bitch to find things like that.

Somehow doubt the stampings mean anything at all. Valve cover is just a valve cover...I think we lost the only person who would know the answer to a question like that (manybrews).

And for the record the ecu has a sort of master control over your tcu and can force shifts on the a/t when it wants to. 3 serial control lines run from TCU to ECU.

the_kage
03-16-2004, 09:58 PM
what happend to manybrews????

JiP
03-17-2004, 01:04 AM
a lot of people are gone from this group when the DNS went down. I dont think manybrews is one of the people who came back. There were sooooo many more people on this group now theres barely any posts. Sucks but what can you do...

Moosh
03-19-2004, 10:37 PM
Whoever is in charge of this website needs to give the job to someone else.