PDA

View Full Version : How do I open up my Head light housing?

T
03-10-2004, 12:37 PM
Any body knows? I wanna black out a part of it .

T
03-10-2004, 03:11 PM
I took out my head light and found a bunch of little plastics hindged locking each other, and 2 screws, one with a plastic cap I couldn't remove. I tried to unscrew one of them, it doesn't seem to come off.

Anyone, got any idea?

nrgizeman
03-10-2004, 03:39 PM
hmm... headlights are sealed buddy. you gotta heat up the sealant before you can open it apart.

T
03-10-2004, 04:20 PM
How should I heat it up?

DarkLateNight
03-10-2004, 04:51 PM
low heat in oven or blow dryer or heat gun - search for "CLEAR CORNER TUTORIALS" and they tell a way to do it
(to clear corners you can either seperate the housing or do the bream method, which is easier)

Danger DANJ
03-10-2004, 06:29 PM
I just opened up my headlights 2 weekends ago, then this past weekend I painted the insides black and I smoked the amber lens with Nite Shades. To get them open, I put them in the oven. I used Astig's tutorial on how to do it.

First, make sure you remove the bulbs and the rubber boots, then make sure the headlights are cleaned up. Next, pre-heat your oven to 250 degrees. DO NOT put the headlight inside just yet! TURN OFF the oven after 10 minutes, then put the headlight on a baking sheet and put it inside the oven. Leave it there for 10 minutes. Take the headlight out. Using a flathead screwdriver pry the lens of the black plastic housing. Once you can get a grip on the lens and the housing, you can just use your hands to pry them apart. Be careful not to break the tabs that lock the lens and housing together. Separate the plastic lens from the headlight trim (chrome on 99-01, black on 02+). There is one screw holding them together.

I have yet to put my headlights back together though because I tried one and it won't close all the way. I think the glue is getting in the way. I'm thinking I might have to heat them up again to loosen the glue so I can squeeze them together all the way. I haven't had time to do it the past few nights.

T
03-10-2004, 06:35 PM
What do I do with the bolt that use for adjust the head light angle?

Z
03-10-2004, 07:23 PM
if ya wanna open up the heads, just get a hammer and crack those things open https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif if you wanna be able to use em later on then you might wanna listen to Dan J instead of me

J
03-10-2004, 09:29 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(T)</div><div class='quotemain'>What do I do with the bolt that use for adjust the head light angle?</div>

nothing. you're prying it apart where the black plastic meets the clear plastic all along the edges.