PDA

View Full Version : Light Problem

glare
03-11-2004, 12:01 PM
Well today I recieved my new Sylvania Silverstar headlight.. I put the passenger one in.. tested it out worked fine .. put the drivers side in... tested it out.. didn't work... took it out and tryed again... still didn't work... I tryed using my old EuroLites I had... put that it.. worked fine??
Anybody know why these brand new silverstars won't work??

Also I looked at the connection thing (the plug).. it looks like its burnt out? (not the bulb plug, the plug that you connect the bulb into)... Dunno if thats the reason the headlight don't work because the eurolite and OEM lights work fine...

So now I'm stuck here wondering if its a deffective bulb or my darn plug is broken... https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/sad.gif

hope somebody can help

4-G-rim
03-11-2004, 01:13 PM
check the Silverstar filament is broken...if it is, then its a defective bulb and contact or go back to whomever you purchased the bulb from for a exchange. If not...there could be a defect on the bulb plug too. You said the harness plug is "burnt"...that means you are exceeding the OEM specs. I believe the Low beams take a 55 watt 9006 bulb. I wouldn't exceed 60 watts max...anything after that will start to "burn" out the factory harness plug.

glare
03-11-2004, 02:53 PM
everything on the bulb looks fine actually doesn't look broken at all... no scratches, no contacts on the inside are broken.. nothing.. Also the silverstars are 55watts I checked it out before I purchased them...

The problem now is I bought them off somebody on eBay, all the guy sells is Silverstar bulbs, he also has 99% positive feedback.. I emailed him and he said SilverStar deals with warranty problems.. and silverstar told me to contact him https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/sad.gif ..

The harness plug that looks burnted I think was caused by my old EuroLites but they also were 55watts... what I don't get how come the OEM lights and the old EuroLite I had on the passenger side work but not the silverstar..

Thats why I am confused I don't know if the bulb is deffective or for some reason the contacts arent making contact when plugged in cause of the harness plug? (which I don't get because like I said above the other 2 bulbs work fine)...

pinoyesv6
03-13-2004, 05:31 PM
put the supposed broken silverstar bulb into the paseenger side light. the plug for that is proven to work. if the bulb works then the drivers side socket is the problem. if the bulb doesn't work, then the bulb is broken.

for the plug. are u sure its burnt? u sure it just isn't oxidized? you might want to maybe clean off the copper contacts and see if that helps. the bulb can't get power if it isn't getting a good connection to its power source. might also wanty to push the contacts out on the plug a lil bit so that they can touch the contacts on the bulb a lil better

glare
03-13-2004, 11:15 PM
it looks burnt.. like you can see burn marks on the side of it looks like it missing a piece of the plastic on top like a chunk was taken off... but your right if the plug was burned then my light I have in there shouldn't be working.. ill try pushing and cleaning the contacts...

also if I do need a new plug where can I locate one without the dealership trying to rip me.. (and besides a junk yard https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif )

thanks for the help

pinoyesv6
03-14-2004, 12:36 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(glare)</div><div class='quotemain'>also if I do need a new plug where can I locate one without the dealership trying to rip me.. (and besides a junk yard https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif )
</div>

try the local auto parts store. many of them carry it.

online stores like suvlights.com also have heavy duty versions of the harness.

but the dealer is a good option too. they aren't too overly expensive and the qulatiy of the oem harness is sometimes better than some aftermarket ones out there.

glare
03-14-2004, 03:13 AM
yeah I'm going to give mitsubishi parts center a call and find out how much they want for it, hopefully won't be that much.. If not just going to buy the aftermarket harness from suvlights.com for 63 dollers...

thanks for your help..