PDA

View Full Version : Some final questions about byo cone intake

2000GTZ
03-11-2004, 11:08 PM
So after an hour of research that I just did from TGC, I think all I need is a cone filter and a MAS adapter and I basically have a short ram, but even better because it's the stock plastic tubing which is good? :?: https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

Also, I can take off the inlet/resonator right?

Danger DANJ
03-12-2004, 09:05 AM
Yeah, that's all you really need to do. MAS adapter and cone filter.

2000GTZ
03-12-2004, 11:25 PM
great! i'll be going to speedmerchant (www.speedmerchant.com) tomorrow. if possible, can someone give me the part number of the cone filter that they use? or does it just depend on the adapter you get?

2000GTZ
03-13-2004, 05:32 PM
wow, after researching even more, i realize i was pretty newb. haha.

So, i bought an adapter from ebay, should be here within days. This adapter has a 4.5" round side, so i will be getting a k&n universal cone filter for that.

While i was at speedmerchant, the nice guy gave me a heads up about passing smog. will taking out the resonator and replacing the stock airbox with a cone filter affect smog? if not, i dont have to worry about having to put my airbox back in during smog checks. either way, im gonna keep all this stock stuff.

hooray for ebay.

pinoyesv6
03-13-2004, 05:51 PM
thats right you're in cali. so you have to worry about CARB and stuff like that. you have a few options. there's getting an aftermarket full intake filter piping etc. jsut get one that is CARB approved. or you can get a k&n oem replacement filter.

even if you were to get a k&n cone filter, chances are, you'd still get in trouble with the law because it isn't a direct oem replacement and that setup isn't carb approved

2000GTZ
03-13-2004, 07:42 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pinoyesv6)</div><div class='quotemain'>thats right you're in cali. so you have to worry about CARB and stuff like that. you have a few options. there's getting an aftermarket full intake filter piping etc. jsut get one that is CARB approved. or you can get a k&n oem replacement filter.

even if you were to get a k&n cone filter, chances are, you'd still get in trouble with the law because it isn't a direct oem replacement and that setup isn't carb approved</div>

so i have to keep it hush hush =)
along with the clear corners when its smog time hehe :wink: