PDA

View Full Version : question about the domelights

cardude03
03-12-2004, 10:44 PM
hey guys, i hope this isnt too stupid of a question :? , but i was wondering, how do you remove the domelights (aka maplights), so that you can take out the bulbs?

TITAN
03-12-2004, 10:57 PM
the whole piece has to come out. just kinda feel around gently with a flat head screw driver to find the tabs holding it in. and then go from there.

Danger DANJ
03-13-2004, 11:37 AM
Yeah, it shouldn't be too hard. Mine popped out pretty easily without even using a screwdriver or anything.

galantv600
03-13-2004, 03:34 PM
stick a flat scerw driver wit a rag or somethin over the tip of it so it dont screw up ur roof... and then just try poppin it out.. once it comes out, disconnec the connector and take the bulb out.. the bulb is a long stick wit 2 wires on both sides.. once u see the wires ull realize how to take it out and put it back in https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

did u find new bulbs for it or somethin? cuz ive bin lookin to put white bulb in there but cant find that design of a bulb thats not OEM

cardude03
03-13-2004, 04:54 PM
hey, thanks for the replies, i was planning on getting new bubls, but i have heard alot of people saying they cant find any, so i am going to take it out, and give it to a guy and see if he can find any for me, but if he cant, what other options do i have? also, if anyone can remember where its held in place, i would appreciate it( like, left side, right side?)

pinoyesv6
03-13-2004, 06:24 PM
you have a few options

option 1. working with your oem bulb. you can color the bulb. like painting the bulb, covering it a gel cap (bulb condom)

option 2. using another bulb. you can use a different style of dome light that comes in the color you want and then modifying that to fit into the housings for the oem bulbs

option 3. using a different ligth source. you can cut out some of the insides of the dome light and then maybe add light a small neon light or something in there and jsut power it from teh dome light's power source.

Danger DANJ
03-14-2004, 01:18 AM
This thread motivated me to finally install the purple bulbs I bought like a year ago. They are 194's and I soldered them in with some wire. To my dismay, the damn bulbs light up in a magenta color instead of purple. Maybe I need to look into some small purple neon lights.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cardude03)</div><div class='quotemain'>also, if anyone can remember where its held in place, i would appreciate it( like, left side, right side?)</div>

I'll take some pics of the housing for you so you can see where the clips are as well as how I soldered in the bulbs.

cardude03
03-14-2004, 02:15 AM
oh man, that would be great, i am thinking of either getting some super-white(aka hyper white) bulbs, or blue, i think blue would look cooler, but i dont know if it will be bright enough. but first i have to figure out if they even make any, and about those "bulb condoms", where could i get some, are they really made for bulbs, or is it just to improvise?

galantv600
03-14-2004, 09:59 AM
damn david i wanna get some WHITE bulbs to put in there 194s.... let me know how it worked out and pics man!!! https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif ur my life saver cutie (WINK WINK) hehehehehehehehehehehhehe

i aint gay man just bringin some shitts n giggles

Danger DANJ
03-14-2004, 11:28 PM
Alright, here we go.

http://www.dangerdanj.com/domelight01.jpg

The green circles are the clips, there are 2 more on the other side. All I have to do is push on the housing towards the front of the car, then pull down at the same time. I'm not even sure you can get a screwdriver up in where the clips are. The purple circle is where the dome light is connected to the wires. You'll need to disconnect the plug before you can remove it.

http://www.dangerdanj.com/domelight02.jpg

http://www.dangerdanj.com/domelight03.jpg

Those pics above show you how I soldered in the 194 bulbs. To connect the wire to the bulbs, I stripped the wire, then wrapped it arond the metal contacts. Be careful because the metal contacts are pretty flimsy. I figured out which way the wires should be angled so the bulb would aim at an angle towards each lens and then soldered the wires to the bulbs.

http://www.dangerdanj.com/domelight04.jpg

So that's what my purple 194 bulbs look like at night. As you can see, they aren't very purple. Oh well. :?

cardude03
03-14-2004, 11:35 PM
oh man, those are some great pix, thanks alot https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

Danger DANJ
03-15-2004, 12:10 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cardude03)</div><div class='quotemain'>oh man, those are some great pix, thanks alot Â*:D</div>

Anytime. I'm glad I could help.

cardude03
03-16-2004, 01:48 AM
just an update, i took out my bulbs today, and took them to an import store by my house, and he said he didnt have any like that (which i was already expecting) but he did show me some other super white bulbs with two ends, so i got those, and just soldered them on with my friend, and they are really great, thanks for all your help again https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif , those pix really came in handy. https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

the_kage
03-16-2004, 08:48 AM
Also what you can do.. i couldnt find any different bulbs either.. so i got the Jelly covers for bulbs at Autzone.. like 2 bucks. They just slip over your existing bulb.. i got blue ones.. so now its bright blue when dome lights are on.

Serstylz2
07-04-2004, 11:20 AM
Hey DANJ what kind of wire is that you used w. the 194s?

Serstylz2
07-04-2004, 11:40 AM
And did anyone w/ a sunroof find it hard to get the cover off? I'm yankin and usin a flathead.. maybe they are connected differently?

Serstylz2
07-04-2004, 12:34 PM
Sry if it seems like im post whoring, but for people w. Sunroofs you have to remove the plastic reflectors and remove the 2 screws to get the dome light housing off. I painted my bulbs and when I put the housing back in the dome lights wont go off at all, even in the off position. Anyone kno wats goin on????

spanky02galant
07-04-2004, 02:21 PM
ok sry if this question isnt supposed to be in here but i only have a problem with my dome light piece staying in place... i have some subs n everytime they get the real low bass... i hear the dome light vibrate n then it wiggles loose... is there ne way that neone knows of that will keep it in place n even better... stay in place n stop rattling???...once again sry if this is in the wrong place... newbie here. thanks

07-04-2004, 04:59 PM
Danj what brand bulbs you using in there.. I bought the blue 194 bulbs from APC and they aren't nearly as deep in color as yours hell maybe its just the way it is.. the bulbs I replaced behind the cluster are blue but I think that has more to do with the cluster face than anything.
the ones I put in the dome light sorta are a washed out white if anything.

p.s. I suck at souldering

pinoyesv6
07-04-2004, 06:34 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(spanky02galant)</div><div class='quotemain'>ok sry if this question isnt supposed to be in here but i only have a problem with my dome light piece staying in place... i have some subs n everytime they get the real low bass... i hear the dome light vibrate n then it wiggles loose... is there ne way that neone knows of that will keep it in place n even better... stay in place n stop rattling???...once again sry if this is in the wrong place... newbie here. thanks</div>

turning the bass down would be the easy solution.

another solution is to bend the metal that holds the dome light in. friction is the only thing that holds the dome light in there.

Danger DANJ
07-07-2004, 12:01 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Serstylz2)</div><div class='quotemain'>Hey DANJ what kind of wire is that you used w. the 194s?</div>

I used some speaker wire that I had laying around. I think it came with my Polk 6x9's, but I didn't need it.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(-=Haz=-)</div><div class='quotemain'>Danj what brand bulbs you using in there.. I bought the blue 194 bulbs from APC and they aren't nearly as deep in color as yours hell maybe its just the way it is.. the bulbs I replaced behind the cluster are blue but I think that has more to do with the cluster face than anything.
the ones I put in the dome light sorta are a washed out white if anything.

p.s. I suck at souldering</div>

Well, I think it's my digital camera that makes it look so vibrant. It's not quite that nice in person. It has to be pitch black out to get that sort of glow from the dome light. I wonder if there are any mini neons that would fit in the dome light housing?

lemonnamedsteve
08-12-2006, 03:11 AM
hey, just a little FYI, I've been looking and i'vediscovered that the stock bulbs are 561 (or 563) there are 2 types it just depends on the Watts

561 = 9.99 watts
563 = 12.48 watts

Yea, if you have a sun roof you have to take off the map light cover, but be careful they're esay to break the hindges.

The bulb condoms I got look aqua which don't match my LED dome light...just something to think about

fatal1
08-13-2006, 12:15 AM
i did a simalar application to danj's except i wired in a few single leds in each one you can use pretty much any wire the middle is ground and the outsides are 12v i had a dealer installed sunroof so i had to take off the clear plasic things in order to get mine out and then there was a screw on each side