Tom Incantalupo
ROAD TEST
Galant’s flash and dash may fade when it’s time to trade

Email this story

Printer friendly format

Car Specs

2004 Mitsubishi Galant GTS

Photos

The redesigned ’04 GALANT (MITSUBISHI PHOTO)
Mar 5, 2004

Recent Columns

XLR Is the Little Caddy That Could -- and Does

GMC's Envoy XUV combo rolls out in a class by itself
Mar 12, 2004

GMC’s Envoy XUV combo rolls out in a class by itself
Mar 12, 2004

Galant's flash and dash may fade when it's time to trade
Mar 5, 2004

Galant’s flash and dash may fade when it’s time to trade
Mar 5, 2004

Top Stories
GMC’s Envoy XUV combo rolls out in a class by itself

Audi A6 to offer V-6 and V-8 in fall

1935 Auburn Boattail Speedster replica

Auto Doc: A Buick’s antifreeze may need replacement

Tom Incantalupo: Galant’s flash and dash may fade when it’s time to trade

March 5, 2004

For something a little different in a family sedan, consider the new and improved Mitsubishi Galant. Its styling offers more flash and dash than that of most family cars, there is more available luxury for '04 and, if nothing else, you won't see yourself coming and going as you would in a Toyota Camry or Honda Accord.

But the relatively low sales of Mitsubishis compared to those of Toyotas, Hondas and Nissans could come back to bite you in the ... other end a few years down the line when it comes time to sell or trade your Galant; Mitsubishis don't have the reputations or resale values of Hondas and Toyotas.

And the new Galant lacks two features that are especially important in family cars: fold-down rear seatbacks to increase cargo room and curtain-type side-impact air bags. Seat-mounted side-impact air bags to protect the thorax are available, however, in most versions. Mitsubishi says curtains are "in development" for the Galant.

2004 Mitsubishi Galant GTS
Engine: 230-hp., 3.8 liter V-6. Transmission: Four-speed automatic, front-wheel drive. Safety: Dual front and side- impact air bags; 4-wheel disc brakes with antilock and electronic brake force distribution; fog lamps. Place of Assembly: Normal, Ill. Weight: 3,649 pounds Trunk: 13.3 cu. ft. EPA Mileage Rating: 19 mpg city, 27 highway Price as Driven: $26,292, including destination charge.

Not as important but still notable is that stability control isn't available, either.

Galants are built in Normal, Ill., with engines and both transmissions imported from Japan.

The redesigned '04 went on sale in October and stacks up fairly well overall against the competition. Its optional V-6 has a larger displacement and offers more torque than those available in the Camry, Accord, Nissan Altima or Mazda 6. The Accord and Altima sixes top the Galant's 230 hp., but the Galant hits its peak at lower rpms.

The Galant's 230-hp. six, a version of that in the larger Mitsubishi Diamante sedan, replaces a smaller V-6 that delivered only 195 hp. The tester's ran smoothly, save for some occasional catalytic converter odor, but Mitsubishi has fitted it with an exhaust system that allows what some of you might consider excessive engine growl to escape and enter the cabin.

The '04 Galant is almost 3 inches longer than its predecessor and 4 inches wider -- the latter providing generous hip and shoulder room for this class. The new car is more than 2 inches higher than its predecessor -- to ease entry and exit, Mitsubishi says. The Galant's wheelbase has grown by more than 4 inches.

The sampled Galant GTS' extra firm sport suspension provides a connection to the pavement one does not get from the competition -- although the ride might be too firm for some tastes. It's firm but always quiet. The tester's cabin was well insulated against wind and road noise.

The Galant's trunk is the smallest of this group -- at 13.3 cubic feet. Although the rear seatbacks don't fold down, there is a pass-through for narrow items.

The Galant's interior is functional, but some of its materials can't match those of the Camry or Accord for texture or appearance. Dimensionally, the Galant is close to its competitors, although tall folks will want to know that the Galant offers slightly less front seat headroom than the competition.

Controls are easy to locate and operate, gauges are easy to read, and the Galant has the requisite storage cubbies and cupholders to suit American families.

The Galant comes in four versions, DE, ES, LS and GTS, ranging in base price from $18,592 with freight to $26,292. The tester was a GTS, with no optional equipment. Leather interior is standard in that model.

The base engine, also improved for '04, is a 160-hp., 2.4-liter four-cylinder. As noted, I sampled a V-6 model. Note before you opt for the smaller engine that other car reviewers have come away quite unimpressed with it. All Galants come with four-wheel disc brakes, automatic transmission, speed-sensitive power steering, four-wheel independent suspension, air conditioning, a stereo with a CD player and power windows, locks and mirrors.

Moving up in price adds traction control, larger brake rotors with antilock and larger, 17-inch, wheels. V-6 models get a "Sportronic" transmission that allows clutchless manual shifting.

The '04 Galant earned a perfect five- star rating from the federal government for the car's performance in the feds' frontal crash test. But the government hasn't published data yet for the car's side-impact test performance or the Galant's rollover resistance.

Quality is an unknown in any new model, but Mitsubishi's past performance doesn't bode well; the company's vehicles scored below average in J.D. Power and Associates' most recent surveys covering the first three months and first three years of ownership. Consumer Reports has no data for most of Mitsubishi's models -- a unfortunate byproduct of the carmaker's small presence in the United States -- but the magazine does term the previous generation Galant as "average" in reliability and places the Galant on its "recommended" list.

To buy previous car reviews by Tom Incantalupo, please call 800-2FINDOUT.

Email: [email protected]

luxcrusr2000
03-16-2004, 09:56 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ikudni)</div><div class='quotemain'>But the relatively low sales of Mitsubishis compared to those of Toyotas, Hondas and Nissans could come back to bite you in the ... other end a few years down the line when it comes time to sell or trade your Galant; Mitsubishis don't have the reputations or resale values of Hondas and Toyotas. </div>

No kidding! The trade in value on my old 8G was only between $3,600 and $4,500 (I got $4k), and I owed $9,800! It's a shame too, because it will probably get worse with the 9G. I've already seen a bunch of them floating around Tampa as rental cars. :cry:

bstnsportsfan
03-31-2004, 10:50 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(luxcrusr2000)</div><div class='quotemain'>
No kidding! The trade in value on my old 8G was only between $3,600 and $4,500 (I got $4k), and I owed $9,800! It's a shame too, because it will probably get worse with the 9G. I've already seen a bunch of them floating around Tampa as rental cars. Â*:cry:</div>

Tell me about it, my 98 Galant is worth $1000 trade in. I was going to buy a new car, but I won't put the difference of what I owe (2400) and what the dealer will give me, on my new car. It doesn't make sense to me. I won't buy another mitsu because of the terrible resale value.

Lux, what car did you buy? You didn't mind dumping $5800 on a new car loan?

RedGalant2k1
03-31-2004, 03:14 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(luxcrusr2000)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ikudni)</div><div class='quotemain'>But the relatively low sales of Mitsubishis compared to those of Toyotas, Hondas and Nissans could come back to bite you in the ... other end a few years down the line when it comes time to sell or trade your Galant; Mitsubishis don't have the reputations or resale values of Hondas and Toyotas. </div>

No kidding! The trade in value on my old 8G was only between $3,600 and $4,500 (I got $4k), and I owed $9,800! It's a shame too, because it will probably get worse with the 9G. I've already seen a bunch of them floating around Tampa as rental cars. :cry:</div>

And there were thousands of 8Gs as rental cars the same way. Its pretty common for sedans of any company to make it to rental agencies. They actually go straigt to Mitsubishi and buy bulk. Fleet Sales, they buy say 2000 9G Galant ES's.

Serstylz2
03-31-2004, 03:46 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>Weight: 3,649 pounds Trunk: 13.3 cu. ft. EPA Mileage Rating: 19 mpg city, 27 highway</div>

Yikes...

luxcrusr2000
09-12-2004, 03:46 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bstnsportsfan)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(luxcrusr2000)</div><div class='quotemain'>
No kidding! The trade in value on my old 8G was only between $3,600 and $4,500 (I got $4k), and I owed $9,800! It's a shame too, because it will probably get worse with the 9G. I've already seen a bunch of them floating around Tampa as rental cars. Â*:cry:</div>

Tell me about it, my 98 Galant is worth $1000 trade in. I was going to buy a new car, but I won't put the difference of what I owe (2400) and what the dealer will give me, on my new car. It doesn't make sense to me. I won't buy another mitsu because of the terrible resale value.

Lux, what car did you buy? You didn't mind dumping $5800 on a new car loan?</div>

I know this is late but...I bought a 2K4 Sentra. I got $2500 cash back and put $2K down on it.

dusthead
11-20-2005, 05:20 PM
to give you guys an example of the trade in on a 9G....i owe 17,800, it's worth 10,300....bought it june 04

seth98esT
11-20-2005, 05:28 PM
Really the only Mitsus that hold their value somewhat descently are:

6g VR4s
2g GSX
3000GT VR4s

Just about any other Mitsu has crap resale values. The best Mitsu for resale value would have to be a 3000GT VR4 Spyder. I think they are still 18k+ haha.

ipaintu
11-20-2005, 05:42 PM
to give you guys an example of the trade in on a 9G....i owe 17,800, it's worth 10,300....bought it june 04

OK 2 things could have hurt you here.... 1 bad buying skills... Sorry the salemans hit you in the ass... 2 bad credit = higher rates.. I bought a used car last yr for my girl and got 4.6% on a 10k loan.. paid like 1200.00 for finace... If you paid high as I see some do 18.0 % then yeah your fucked...

I bought my Galant cash for 6k on 2003 it had 25k miles on it. Its still worht 7,500 trade in, 10,000 resale private...

You let them rip you off on trade in thats your issues.. Not the issues of mitz..