PDA

View Full Version : Help w/ laying down vinyl on door panels?

DarkLateNight
03-27-2004, 11:23 PM
I have alot of vinyl and want to cover the carpet on the door panels what type of adhesive etc should i use?

thanks
-Jordan

The 99 Galant
03-28-2004, 01:30 AM
i didn't think you used an adhesive on the vinyl, i thought you stretched it and then stapled it on the back. If you do use an adhesive use something like liquid nails and make sure you smooth the mess out of it, and then staple it.

DarkLateNight
03-28-2004, 09:40 AM
i stapled the edges but it's contoured - btw this is not for the faint of heart very labor-intensive - it's a whore i have like 0 patience as well

BIGMONEYDAY
03-28-2004, 12:50 PM
You need to use a good spray adhesive for this type of application, just like doing headliners and carpeting speaker boxes. I suggest using the top of the line 3M products, they are the best to use for these type projects, and can be found at most auto parts store and Wal-Mart too, i think. But you also need to staple the material once you get it stretched to the back of the panel.

Monkey
03-29-2004, 09:05 AM
Do a search on this site... I and many others have done this and yeah, very tedious and time consuming but with tips learned here should go over well...

I used the 3m super 77... spray on panel and WAIT!! Let it get a little tacky first before applying your vinyl... you can use a butter knife (blunt the edge) to slip into the crevices. Good luck and again do a search for more detailed tips!

DarkLateNight
03-29-2004, 09:21 AM
thanks for the help i have one of 4 panels done - should i do the top of the console piece?

Monkey
03-29-2004, 10:01 AM
here's a Link ('http://ttp://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/noennuii/album?.dir=/a84b') of pics I took of mine just now from my camera phone... I uploaded them onto yahoo (which sux) so hopefully it will work!

About the console, are you referring to the area where the air bags at? That's on you bro... I haven't done so don't know... I won't do it cause of the passenger air bags.

DarkLateNight
03-29-2004, 10:05 AM
nah i meant the center console sorry bro thanks for the pics man

DarkLateNight
03-29-2004, 10:05 AM
cant see pics tho :cry:

jusmills
03-29-2004, 10:34 AM
the only real problem I can see is using spray adhesive, on carpet--you won't get very good wet out of the surface, which will = bad adhesion, so you might have to deal with it buckling or coming up later, especially with the abuse car carpets take. Its should be ok if you staple it down, but the carpet is a big area, and I doubt if you want staples all over the place. The doors should be ok, since the velor, is tight knit, and the glue will adhere well.

Monkey
03-29-2004, 11:43 AM
yahoo sux monkey balls... here try this ('http://www.cardomain.com/id/gmonkey00') created a real quick car domain page... check out the panels... https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif

DarkLateNight
03-29-2004, 05:03 PM
I like that - alot looks real clean bro

mike969mb
03-29-2004, 05:11 PM
Should get a hold of Censee(pedro) he did his own door panels and dash with vinyl and looks pretty good to me, dont see anything wrong. He probably could give you some pointers.

Mike

DarkLateNight
03-29-2004, 09:08 PM
He already has https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

DarkLateNight
03-29-2004, 09:09 PM
he helped me out alot

Monkey
03-30-2004, 08:00 AM
Crisp and clean... I love the silver vinyl that is on there plus I also have the silver CF overlays... Looks pretty clean with all the silver I painted everywhere else. Can you tell I like silver? Anyway, to finish the interior need the katzskins and some diamond plated floor mats... nice and clean! :wink: Problem is... I'm buying a house so most of what I want to do needs to be put on hold. :cry:

Oh! another tip would be to lay out your panels in the sun... it allows any wrinkles in the vinyl to smooth out and also the heat will expand the material where you can get a more snug fit!

DarkLateNight
03-30-2004, 09:37 AM
or heat gun or hairdryer on low heat is what i did (it's raining here)

tim888tim
03-30-2004, 07:09 PM
I posted a tutorial on here last year when I did my full interior following a Katzkin GB. The link is here ('http://66.98.150.64/~clubtgc/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10459'). The biggest mistake that I made was buying the cheap walmart brand adhesive spray. If you use the good 3M stuff, you should be ok.

DarkLateNight
03-31-2004, 09:13 AM
thanks for all the help - i stayed up until 2 last night doing this and got up at 6 this morning and i finished - all i have to do now is put em back in the car i right now it's lookin' real hott - i'll post pics if i ever get my digicam back :x

DarkLateNight
03-31-2004, 06:49 PM
ok one problem put the panels back on all good fit yeah ok - the trim pieces around the door handles on the inside now do not go all the way down - any one have this problem? please help me out

Monkey
04-01-2004, 09:28 AM
Yup! I actually broke one of the pieces from the inside from use such force to get those suckers back on!! The ones for the door handles will basically need to be pushed sideways towards the pillars of the car... it will find it way there and there nothing to break so "be agressive!" The door trims with the switches is the tough part... place your pieces over where it needs to be and figure out what you can trim off from your vinyls... then be careful of the front tips of the door trims... you will notice that there is a slot that would allow it to slide into place... also keep an eye out on the inside cause there are those stubs that stick out and that may block your fitting... The trim pieces goes over those. Basically, you figure it out but yeah, it's a b*tch!

DarkLateNight
04-01-2004, 09:35 AM
ok everything's in EXCEPT that friggin door handle trim piece it goes in but the handle itself sticks out a bit any suggestions?

Monkey
04-01-2004, 11:09 AM
First off make sure the contours have not adjusted as you are trying to put in those door trim pieces... now if all is well, try to trim what you can without it being shown, where the door trim will cover it up... I had a slight gap, nothing major but I notice it and we are our own worse critics. With having a more thicker material, you're gonna have to expect that. When you get the trim pieces in there... see what you got after you put back the screws... the gap may simply be from not being set completely. Make sure all the screws are in... observe the front tip portions of the trim pieces, is it secure? There is a slit that should snap with the panel (thats the part I broke) but it still is not bad but not as good as the other three. Wish I could be of more help but I'm doing this off of memory... good luck!

TWISTED II
04-01-2004, 01:31 PM
ok, with the door handle trim piece, i had the same problem with those. i didn't think they would fit....but they actually hafta clip into the door first. i didn't realize it at first, so i thought they weren't fitting. look at the back of the trim piece, you'll see a lil hook lookin thing that hasta go behind soemthing in the door, then it'll work. mine are padded and revinyled, so i know they fit. give that a try.

Sowndwayv
04-01-2004, 04:46 PM
im trying to take off the door cover off one of the back doors, i removed the screw near the handle, the one in the little bin, and the one with the cover.....i read that those are the only 3..

im having a hard time taking off the cover.."lift up and out"..but it wont budge..so i have to break any seals or something

DarkLateNight
04-01-2004, 05:47 PM
there are little plastic pieces that click into place and you just have to pull straight out or wedge a screwdriver in there

DarkLateNight
04-01-2004, 05:49 PM
and Twist i'm going out to try that now thanks bro - see told you you always helped out - screw all those other people that said crap

clone2020
04-14-2004, 12:20 PM
The door handle trim pieces don't sit flush because when we rip off the old cloth, we also rip off a thin (2-3mm) layer of the foam padding.

You can put thin strips of window insulation under the door trim piece so it won't be so loose.

Also, You have to use high high high high strength adhesive otherwise the vinyl will start to come off in the middle sections (deep curve inwards).

I'd also recommend some small tacks or staples to keep the vinyl tight otherwise it will come off in the high tension areas.

-MIKE.

DarkLateNight
04-14-2004, 02:46 PM
i'm done like a week ago looks good i'll post pics and i also replaced that foam padding

clone2020
04-14-2004, 04:43 PM
What did you use to strip off the foam?

I used acetone and a metal scraper.

-MIKE.

DarkLateNight
04-14-2004, 05:23 PM
finger nail polish remover (acetone) and some junk i had around to scrape it with