PDA

View Full Version : Questions about a few Mods???

phelixx1
04-08-2004, 10:16 PM
I just bought a 02 Beige ES. I want to have turn signal lights in my mirrors. What fits? Also I would like to have lambo doors (doors that open up) do they work for the galant? How much modification? What is the difference between manual and motorized doors? How hard is the trunk lid flip up kit? Do you feel any more power when you install a cold air intake? Is clearing the headlights illegal in Cali? What kind of gas mileage do people get? I am getting about 19mpg. That doesn't seem like very much for a little 4 banger. https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif I will probably think of more questions later... bear with me.

Thanks

phelixx1
04-08-2004, 10:29 PM
Does the GTZ have a different spoiler than an ES? How hard is it to remove emblems (Mitsubishi, ES)? Does it leave a noticeable residue behind? Where can I find the "Galant" decals for my doors? How are the Galant steel door sills installed (drilled, glued)?

What happened to clubtcg?

Thanks... again...

VegasMatt
04-08-2004, 10:49 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(phelixx1)</div><div class='quotemain'>Does the GTZ have a different spoiler than an ES? Â*How hard is it to remove emblems (Mitsubishi, ES)? Does it leave a noticeable residue behind? Â*Where can I find the "Galant" decals for my doors? Â*How are the Galant steel door sills installed (drilled, glued)? Â*

What happened to clubtcg?

Thanks... again...</div>

1. Yes
2. Very Easy - Heat gun and fishing string
3. No
4. Ebay
5. Uncertain but I think drilled

pinoyesv6
04-08-2004, 11:49 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(phelixx1)</div><div class='quotemain'>I want to have turn signal lights in my mirrors. Â*What fits? </div>

there are universal aftermarket kits out there that you can apply to your mirrors. they just stick on with double stick tape.

there is currently development for m3 style mirrors being made for the 8g galant. so you might want to search around here for more info on that. im not really up to date on those cuz...

i have these
http://hometown.aol.com/princepinoy1118/images/a.jpg

many people including myself have used mirrors from the 94-97 accord and modified them to fit onto our cars.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(phelixx1)</div><div class='quotemain'>IAlso I would like to have lambo doors (doors that open up) do they work for the galant? Â*How much modification? Â*What is the difference between manual and motorized doors? </div>

there isn't a direct kit for lambo doors made for the galant. chances are you are gonna have to either get a universal kit and modify that or get a kit from another car and modify that. look at over a grand for modification. talk with the guys at your body shop to see if they can do such a thing and if you can get an estimate on how to do it. as for the difference between manual and motorized doors, well its pretty obvious. both doors will have gas shocks to help the door open and close but with the manual, you have to push up and down yourself. motorized they open and close with a push of a button

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(phelixx1)</div><div class='quotemain'>How hard is the trunk lid flip up kit? </div>

its not that hard to do. there are tutorials out here in the board that show you how to do it. but it is recommended that you get a buddy or two to help you out.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(phelixx1)</div><div class='quotemain'>Do you feel any more power when you install a cold air intake? </div>

the gains from the cold air intake isn't that much. less than 10. but yea, i have a short ram and the increase sound from the intake makes it seem like you gained more power than your really did. meaning, the butt dyno felt a difference, even though in actuality i gained less than 5

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(phelixx1)</div><div class='quotemain'> What kind of gas mileage do people get? I am getting about 19mpg. That doesn't seem like very much for a little 4 banger. https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif Â* </div>

i get 19mpg on my v6 if i push it around down from light to light. that is definitely low if your pushing a stock 4 banger

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(phelixx1)</div><div class='quotemain'>Does the GTZ have a different spoiler than an ES? Â*</div>

the USDM 8g galants only had one factory spoiler. the GTZ spoiler that some call is just the factory spoiler. the only difference is that from 1999-2001, the factory spoiler was standard. other years and trim levels, the spoiler was optional

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(phelixx1)</div><div class='quotemain'> How hard is it to remove emblems (Mitsubishi, ES)? </div>

not that hard at all. on a warm day you can just pull them off with your bare hands if you pull hard enough. but for the triple diamond, you will have two holes in the trunk if you pull off that one

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(phelixx1)</div><div class='quotemain'> Does it leave a noticeable residue behind? Â*</div>

most likely it will, but it just rubs off with a lil bit of elbow grease

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(phelixx1)</div><div class='quotemain'> How are the Galant steel door sills installed (drilled, glued)? Â*
</div>

you mean those aftermarket stainless steel door sil plates? those are applied with the supplied double stick tape

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(phelixx1)</div><div class='quotemain'>What happened to clubtcg?

</div>

isn't this clubtgc?

peanotation
04-08-2004, 11:52 PM
so wierd how all the san diego members pop up after i move out of there, what part of san diego are you in? i used to live in Carmel Valley/del mar

turn signals in your mirros, i THINK the 3g eclipse (2000 and newer) m3 signal mirrors (ebay) fit, but do not quote me on that. lambo doors will cost you tons of money, probably about a grand. manual doors are regular doors, motorized doors open by themselves, and some pop open by remote. trunk lid flip kit = easy. the CAI (cold air intake) power increase is questionbale. you will notice extra pull on the highway and high RPMs, and you will notice a slight power loss at low RPMs, but the power gained at high rpms makes up for it. a lot of rich anti ricers who drive bmws and all that claim its bullshit, but there's been dyno sheets proving them wrong, and you will feel it. on an I4, a CAI will add about 4 hp.

for clearing the headlights, it is illegal to have WHITE headlight corners, however, you can clear the lense so its white when its off, and put one of those silver bulbs inside that glow orange. i have never heard of or seen anyone pulled over for white corners, but it is illegal. as far as mpg, it all depends how you drive it.

phelixx1
04-09-2004, 12:33 PM
I live near SDSU. I just want a nice sounding, awesome looking galant. And yes i have a stock engine. I drive like an old lady most of the time. I thought 19mpg was awufully low. So the spoilers are the same? Also i heard that the GTZ has a special tweeter holder by the side view mirrors. Is that true? The mirrors aren't electric are they? I will have to move them myself? THE HORROR! O well.
Thanks!

pinoyesv6
04-09-2004, 12:45 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(phelixx1)</div><div class='quotemain'>So the spoilers are the same? Â*</div>

yup

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(phelixx1)</div><div class='quotemain'>Also i heard that the GTZ has a special tweeter holder by the side view mirrors. Is that true? Â* </div>

the GTZ and other 8g galants equipped with the infinity 7 speaker system have tweeters by the side mirrors

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(phelixx1)</div><div class='quotemain'>The mirrors aren't electric are they? Â*I will have to move them myself? Â*</div>

the mirror glass itself is power on an ES

phelixx1
04-09-2004, 01:15 PM
If i buy aftermarket mirrors with turn signals in them they won't be power moveable.

DryBear
04-09-2004, 04:23 PM
As far as I know, you wont have powered mirrors if modify an accord mirror.

However, there is an effort being made to make M3 style powered mirrors with the turn signal LED, but that is a while off. Search the Group Buy section for "M3 Mirror" for more info.

By the way, white turn signals in front are legal in California at least:

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc24953.htm ('http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc24953.htm')
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>California Vehicle Code Â* Â*
Turn Signal Lamps

24953. Â* (a) Any turn signal system used to give a signal of intention to turn right or left shall project a flashing white or amber light visible to the front and a flashing red or amber light visible to the rear.</div>

GalantGuy96
04-09-2004, 04:44 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(peanotation)</div><div class='quotemain'>so wierd how all the san diego members pop up after i move out of there, what part of san diego are you in? i used to live in Carmel Valley/del mar

turn signals in your mirros, i THINK the 3g eclipse (2000 and newer) m3 signal mirrors (ebay) fit, but do not quote me on that. lambo doors will cost Â*you tons of money, probably about a grand. manual doors are regular doors, motorized doors open by themselves, and some pop open by remote. trunk lid flip kit = easy. the CAI (cold air intake) power increase is questionbale. you will notice extra pull on the highway and high RPMs, and Â*you will notice a slight power loss at low RPMs, but the power gained at high rpms makes up for it. a lot of rich anti ricers who drive bmws and all that claim its bullshit, but there's been dyno sheets proving them wrong, and you will feel it. on an I4, a CAI will add about 4 hp. Â*

for clearing the headlights, it is illegal to have WHITE headlight corners, however, you can clear the lense so its white when its off, and put one of those silver bulbs inside that glow orange. i have never heard of or seen anyone pulled over for white corners, but it is illegal. as far as mpg, it all depends how you drive it.</div>
my cousin just got lambo doors on his bmw, it cost him just over 400 bucks.
very cheap.
he put it himself, without those special kits, and he got parts from like home depot and other hardware stores. it actually works very nicely.
if u r smart, and a few connections dont hurt, then u can get lambos for hella cheap https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

pinoyesv6
04-09-2004, 09:01 PM
you can get powered mirrors from an accord. hell, if you can find heated ones you can get them heated also. its just a matter if the wiring. finding out which wires control which direction and how they relate to the wires that are on your car. if need be, you might need to run some extra wiring but running that is easy since you will be doing it anyways to hook up the turn signals.

as for the lambo doors, well props to your cousin for doing it for 400. but i tell you what, you wanna make sure you do a good job on it. remember its making your doors go upwards. the last thing you want is your door falling off as you lift it or it be really hard to lift upwards because gravity will make it fall on you. but it can be done for under 400. but its not gonna be made off of parts you find on home depot's shelves. its gonna take alot of time and skill to make a really nice kit. and speaking of kits, many of the kits i seen out there are pretty shitty. decah is one of the companies that i've seen that made nice kits. compare their kits to others and you'll know what i mean. but yea here's a page showing an install in a celica with a decah vdc(vertical door conversion) you can see the heavy duty hindges and all that whatnot.

phelixx1
04-10-2004, 11:21 AM
Would headlights from a 98 - 00 Lancer fit on a 02 Galant? They look like it. Nobody laugh :oops: but I tried to clear my corners but my "perfect tool" I was going to use didn't work so I had to use a bent fork and I just ended up breaking a piece of the orange thing off and scratching my chrome backing :cry: . I don't know if I should attempt the baking method. Any other websites for headlights that would work? If I can buy all the things to make lambo doors and trunk flip kit at home depot can someone tell me what I have to buy? I won't attempt it by myself!

(http://www.autosportz.com/bodykits_jdm_mitsubishi.htm)

rodt0331
04-10-2004, 12:38 PM
if you want to spend $395 on a pair of headlights that might dont even fit why dont you just get the galant JDM's all you have to do is re-wire the bulbs and cut the radiator mount alittle that's all (i think) and they look 100 times better than the USDM ones.. just a thought....

phelixx1
04-10-2004, 10:30 PM
Anyone know where else i can get these? They seem really expensive. 25.00+40.00 for painting+15 for shipping = 80 at least.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...&category=36475 ('http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2473328762&category=36475')

phelixx1
04-10-2004, 11:42 PM
I can't find JDM headlights listed anywhere. Only for the lancer that is why i asked.

DryBear
04-11-2004, 01:14 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(phelixx1)</div><div class='quotemain'>Anyone know where else i can get these? Â*They seem really expensive. Â*25.00+40.00 for painting+15 for shipping = 80 at least.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2473328762&category=36475</div>

Check this topic:
http://66.98.150.64/~clubtgc/forum/viewtop...ghlight=eyebrow ('http://66.98.150.64/~clubtgc/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26927&highlight=eyebrow')

As for JDM headlights, keep checking eBay - they pop up every now and then.

phelixx1
04-11-2004, 12:13 PM
What is the difference in the one and two piece headlights? I emailed the guy on ebay who was selling JDM headlights for the lancer to see if he had any for the galant. He does. But do i want one piece headlights or two? Any pictures of the difference between them. One piece are 440$ and two piece is 349$

str8304
04-11-2004, 02:41 PM
hey pinoyesv6, where did you get your mirrors from? i want a pair..

pinoyesv6
04-11-2004, 04:35 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(phelixx1)</div><div class='quotemain'>Would headlights from a 98 - 00 Lancer fit on a 02 Galant? Â*They look like it. Nobody laugh Â*:oops: but I tried to clear my corners but my "perfect tool" I was going to use didn't work so I had to use a bent fork and I just ended up breaking a piece of the orange thing off and scratching my chrome backing :cry: . I don't know if I should attempt the baking method. Â*Any other websites for headlights that would work? If I can buy all the things to make lambo doors and trunk flip kit at home depot can someone tell me what I have to buy? I won't attempt it by myself!
Â*
(http://www.autosportz.com/bodykits_jdm_mitsubishi.htm)</div>

if a shop is gonna do your lambo door kit then i wouldn't even worry about getting any of the parts from home depot. a good shop (the only kinda shop that should be doing this conversion) should have access to the raw material to fabricate most of the parts needed for the conversion.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(phelixx1)</div><div class='quotemain'>Anyone know where else i can get these? Â*They seem really expensive. Â*25.00+40.00 for painting+15 for shipping = 80 at least.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2473328762&category=36475</div>

you still have usdm headlights. i wouldn't even waste my time with those. those won't even fit your car without modifications, and even with that i still hear that they fit horribly.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(phelixx1)</div><div class='quotemain'>What is the difference in the one and two piece headlights? Â*I emailed the guy on ebay who was selling JDM headlights for the lancer to see if he had any for the galant. Â*He does. But do i want one piece headlights or two? Â*Any pictures of the difference between them. One piece are 440$ and two piece is 349$</div>

physically, there isn't any difference between them except for one is one lpiece like our usdm headlights, and the two piece is broken into two pieces, the part where the headlight is and the part with teh turn signal. but yea both are teh same size, aka bigger than usdm. i dunno if you want clear corners with them but that could be your deciding factor. for the one piece to clear the corners, you have to heat them up to open them up and remove the orange reflector. for the two piece you need to get the clear corner module, and that could be hard to find. but yea if you do get teh two piece ask to see if it come with clear or amber corners.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(str8304)</div><div class='quotemain'>hey pinoyesv6, where did you get your mirrors from? Â*i want a pair..</div>

i got mine on ebay. i found out thats teh best place to get them. but you can get them from places like jegs.com and other retailers. but yea, jegs has them but don't go there lol, its like 3 hundred dollars there, and i paid like 40 for mine on ebay.

str8304
04-11-2004, 11:31 PM
pinoyesv6 what are the mirrors called, what kind of car are they originally for, what type of mods did you have to do to get to fit, adn are they power?

Strahan
04-12-2004, 08:10 AM

If 80 seems really expensive, you may as well hang up your hat with regards to modding, as most of the non-rinkydink mods generally aren't cheap.

pinoyesv6
04-12-2004, 04:03 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(str8304)</div><div class='quotemain'>pinoyesv6 what are the mirrors called, what kind of car are they originally for, what type of mods did you have to do to get to fit, adn are they power?</div>

i seen them be more commonly called mugen style mirrors for the accord. thats your best bet for a search

phelixx1
04-12-2004, 05:35 PM
So i think i will get the 2 piece headlights since they have cleared corners already. Then i can get the eyebrow and it will fit, right? I am hoping i don't have to modify anything to much for these lights to fit. Plus i just bought some Sylvania SilverStar's that i hope will still fit. Otherwise i guess i will be selling them.

pinoyesv6
04-12-2004, 05:41 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(phelixx1)</div><div class='quotemain'>So i think i will get the 2 piece headlights since they have cleared corners already. Â*Then i can get the eyebrow and it will fit, right? Â*I am hoping i don't have to modify anything to much for these lights to fit. Plus i just bought some Sylvania SilverStar's that i hope will still fit. Otherwise i guess i will be selling them.</div>

the eybrows you listed earlier should fit with the jdm heads, since thats what they were made for.

but yea, for the install, don't think its something easy. the jdm headlights are bigger than the oem headlights. so you are gonna have to a bunch of cutting and grinding to get them to fit. thats just to get them to fit.

then you have to make or modify a harness to work with the jdm headlight bulbs since they are different from the usdm. the jdm's use a seperate bulb for hi and low beams and the usdm just use one.

phelixx1
04-12-2004, 05:48 PM
So what you are telling me is... If you can't even clear the corners then don't even try to do this. A body shop could do it no prob right? Will the silverstars fit in it though?

phelixx1
04-12-2004, 05:49 PM
Nevermind about the silver star coment... I just read it again. Duh.

pinoyesv6
04-12-2004, 07:06 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(phelixx1)</div><div class='quotemain'>So what you are telling me is... If you can't even clear the corners then don't even try to do this. Â*A body shop could do it no prob right? Â*Will the silverstars fit in it though?</div>

yea, if u can't clear ur oem corners, ur getting urself up the stream without a paddle. a local body shop can do it but thats $$

phelixx1
04-12-2004, 07:13 PM
I'm a virgin :oops: when it comes to car mods and car work in general. We all have to start somewhere so hang in there. Don't give up on me yet. https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif But thanks for all the knowadgable advice! I am going to try the baking method on my lights for now... I think.

The 99 Galant
04-12-2004, 07:59 PM
welcome to the modding world my friend. I'm actually in the process of modding my stock grill again. I took the silver one and cut off the entire middle section, including through the diamond star part on top and bottom, so theres one bug gap in the middle, and then i'll be fiberglassing the sides to resemble the VR-4 grille or something different. If i were you i'd look through TGC and try to find the links for the tutorials on different subjects. It gives you help and ideas for future mods. The clearin corners tutor is on here a bunch of times. i don't think its too hard, just be careful and take your time. but this question is for pinoyesv6, your mirrors are 94097 accords right, and how much modding did you have to do to make them fit? Any cutting of the actual base or did you have to drill a hole on the mounting base to make the screws line up?

pinoyesv6
04-12-2004, 08:23 PM
modding my mirrors wasn't too hard at all. but then i didn't mod them like 100%. if you look at them up close you can see that they don't line up that well. i may mod them one day. if im bored. but to get them to fit on the way you see it, wasn't that hard at all. two of the holes for the mounting screws line up with the galants. i just had to drill a third one. also, the mirrors came with mounting studs that you can thread the bolts onto. you can just put them on like that but after install, there was a gap between teh door and the mirror base. i left the studs on so i knew where to drill the hole but after that, i remove the studs and just replaced them with sheet metal screws. thats whats holding my mirrors to the door.

phelixx1
04-17-2004, 09:20 PM
I finally cleared my corners! I found that mini crowbar that they show in the tutorial, and it did jack! The reflector would not budge. So i baked them and it took like 20 mins tops. I was so pissed that i had even waisted my time trying to break them out and scratched the inner chrome part. But now i have silverstars and chrome covered superwhites and it looks so good.
They need to just remove the whole breaking method from the tutorial!

Would these fit on my car?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?
ViewItem&rd=1&item=2474222494&category=33649

At gspeed.com they said you just had to drill one new hole and that was it. Any ideas???