PDA

View Full Version : NEED HELP WITH HALO GAUGES QUICK

Jimbo
09-23-2002, 02:59 PM
Im installing my halo gauges right now, and i'm following the faq but i cant figgure out where to put the wires that are attached to each gauge. do i have to drill to make them fit? its getting dark out soon so a quick reply would be appriciated.
thanks,
james

Tazz2000
09-23-2002, 03:05 PM
They clip into the ballast

Jimbo
09-23-2002, 03:26 PM
ok, on the faq it says to tap the wire from the dimmer control but on the instructions from the company, it says not to attach it to the dimmer. Where should i get the power from? Thanks again.

Fishboy55
09-23-2002, 03:30 PM
I used the dimmer, but I have the reverse indiglows. If you don't feel cmfortable using the dimmer wiring run the wire down to your fusebox and tap power from there. Make sure you use one of the "always on" fuses like your headlights or something.

As far as the gauges go, like Tazz says, there should be a connection for each gauge to the ballast, then the ballast connects to your power source. Also, when grounding the ballast make sure you select a good solid ground. This is why I recommend using the dimmer. But I wouldn't suggest you stray from what the instructions say.

Chip

pinoyesv6
09-23-2002, 03:55 PM
im guessing its gonna be totally fine to tap for power @ the dimmer since you will be tapping for power b4 the dimmer knob itself. but yea if u wanna add wire, the fusebox is right there...

Jimbo
09-23-2002, 07:14 PM
hey guys, thanks for the help so far. It got dark outside so i didnt have a chance to finish the gauge installation. I decided to use the wire thats going to the dimmer switch for power but i havent gotten a chance to do it yet. the only problem is that if i tap into that wire, its not going to be long enough to still plug into the dimmer knob (ask me if u dont understand what i'm trying to say). Also, since the indiglos dont light up right now, the white light that is behind the gauge is bleeding though at the sides of some of the edges of the gauges. Will this be a problem when i finally get the indigo gauges turned on? One last thing is that I am using one of the "twisting connectors" to tap into the power, would it be a better idea to just go to radio shack and buy the "T-taps"? Thanks again.

pinoyesv6
09-23-2002, 07:21 PM
bleeding guages is normal. get some construciton paper and stuff the area between the cluster bezel and the face with it.

as for the connection, all u need is some tape. on the back of the socket for the dimmer switch is where the wires go in. just put the wires thru the back like the oem wires go and just tape the wires down so they don't move.

BlueESV6
09-24-2002, 02:36 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jimbo)</div><div class='quotemain'>...One last thing is that I am using one of the "twisting connectors" to tap into the power, would it be a better idea to just go to radio shack and buy the "T-taps"? Â*Thanks again.</div>

I bought the "squeeze taps" for the power connections like the tutorial recommended. If you tap at a constant power source I think you dash lights would stay on all the time... that's why the dimmer is the way to go (to come on when lights are turned on)...

https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

Jimbo
09-24-2002, 07:54 PM
sigh :cry: , im officially a royal screw up. after 4 hours of work, still no go with the gauges. getting them in was easy, it wasnt until i got to the whole power thing that i got screwed up. i followed everyone's advice and used the Tap in squeeze things from radio shack. i connected the red wire from the gauges to the green wire on the dimmer and the black wire from the gauges to the all black wire on the gauges. However, the gauges still wont turn on. I can still see the light behind the gauges shine though a little and the needles light up, so i know there is at least some power going through the dimmer. Now i have 2 tap in squeeze things in the wire and still no power. someone suggested putting it on the wire for the parking light but now im scared im going to just totally screw up my entire wiring system in my car. is there some place i could go to get this professionally installed, and how much would it be? think its worth it? (by the way, i live in the boston area). Thanks for your help,

james

pinoyesv6
09-24-2002, 08:06 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jimbo)</div><div class='quotemain'>sigh :cry: , Â*im officially a royal screw up. Â*after 4 hours of work, still no go with the gauges. Â*getting them in was easy, it wasnt until i got to the whole power thing that i got screwed up. Â*i followed everyone's advice and used the Tap in squeeze things from radio shack. Â*i connected the red wire from the gauges to the green wire on the dimmer and the black wire from the gauges to the all black wire on the gauges. Â*However, the gauges still wont turn on. Â*I can still see the light behind the gauges shine though a little and the needles light up, so i know there is at least some power going through the dimmer. Â*Now i have 2 tap in squeeze things in the wire and still no power. Â*someone suggested putting it on the wire for the parking light but now im scared im going to just totally screw up my entire wiring system in my car. Â*is there some place i could go to get this professionally installed, and how much would it be? Â*think its worth it? Â*(by the way, i live in the boston area). Â*Thanks for your help,

Â* Â*james</div>

take out the connectors and see if they even pierced the insulation. mine didn't so i just used my way i said b4 anotehr option is to get a member in the area to help u...i know there's many. and if not imma be in boston in a month, i can do em

Jimbo
09-24-2002, 08:34 PM
well the thing is that if i take the taps off, im just worried that the 2 ends of the dimmer wire will fall apart and since there isnt much wire left over on the side that the connecter is on, it would be tough to reconnect it. But I do like your idea of having someone in the area help me out. Any offers? I would really appriciate it. Thanks,

james

pinoyesv6
09-24-2002, 08:42 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jimbo)</div><div class='quotemain'>well the thing is that if i take the taps off, im just worried that the 2 ends of the dimmer wire will fall apart and since there isnt much wire left over on the side that the connecter is on, it would be tough to reconnect it. Â*But I do like your idea of having someone in the area help me out. Â*Any offers? Â*I would really appriciate it. Â*Thanks, Â*

Â* Â*james</div>

are u sure u got the wires on the right wires? and o yea if you did and it pierced thru the insulation then you should have power, unless u messed something else up. you might wanna like get a 9v or 12v battery and see if it lights up the guages really dimly to see if the guages are broke or if its the wiring

Jimbo
09-28-2002, 12:46 PM
good news, i finally got them working. the dimmer wires didnt work so i just used a wire that was on when the car turned on. that is ok for now, but does anyone know the easiest way to get to the SWITCHED wire from the parking brake (so the wire after it has gone through the on/off switch). Thanks again,

james

mrjaydeeone
09-28-2002, 03:20 PM
I got a little problem with my halo guages...the speedo keeps on cutting out...it must be like a short or something....i've played with the wire, and it goes back on...the bumps around here musta loosened something up...
and today I went to go fix em, and the speedo isn't even lighting up...
I gotta look more into it tomorrow....when I can take it apart...
any quick tips for fixing this....

Fishboy55
09-29-2002, 07:11 PM
Oh, ok Jay. You said Halo's, I thought you had the GDI knock offs. Well try what I suggested. Also, check the screws holding the gauge in. You might have them too tight. I turn them in until flush and then back off about a quarter to a half a turn. Chris mentioned this because he was gettting a lot of returns of the GDI's where the screw actually broke the dielectric.

Chip

mrjaydeeone
09-29-2002, 07:38 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fishboy55)</div><div class='quotemain'>Oh, ok Jay. You said Halo's, I thought you had the GDI knock offs. Well try what I suggested. Also, check the screws holding the gauge in. You might have them too tight. I turn them in until flush and then back off about a quarter to a half a turn. Chris mentioned this because he was gettting a lot of returns of the GDI's where the screw actually broke the dielectric.

Chip</div>

it def has something to do with the wires...cause if you wiggle the wire it comes back on...but when I tried this yesterday I got no where,....I didnt have time today but tomorrow I gotta pull it all out, and see what da deal is...

MIKEYBKLYN
09-29-2002, 08:29 PM
where can i get the reverse indiglo gauges for my 01 es?

pinoyesv6
09-29-2002, 08:32 PM
where can i get the reverse indiglo gauges for my 01 es?

ebay.com or speedhut.com