PDA

View Full Version : Synthetic Oil

Lazarus
08-11-2002, 04:57 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(T.S.)</div><div class='quotemain'>AMSOIL is supposedly one of the best synthetic,</div>

Does anyone know where you can get Amsoil? I usually get Valvoline Syntec can't find Amsoil

T.S.
08-11-2002, 05:27 AM
I believe they have an online store at their website, and maybe a list of places that sell it also.

http://www.amsoil.com/ ('http://www.amsoil.com/')

MnGalant
08-11-2002, 11:02 AM
Mobil 1 by far

EsRacer
08-11-2002, 07:08 PM
Anyone heard of Royal Purple? Is that any good? I don't even know if thats the right name.

Sarah
08-11-2002, 08:34 PM
<span style='font-size:30pt;line-height:100%'>mobil one</span>

Aztec
08-11-2002, 11:34 PM
anyone ever use redline?

souniq
08-12-2002, 07:12 AM
Good to see most everyone has the same taste in Oil. I myself have been using <span style='font-size:25pt;line-height:100%'>Mobil 1</span> oil & Filter on my galant too.

MrDomu
08-12-2002, 11:48 AM
I vote for Mobil 1

Dave4013
08-12-2002, 06:40 PM
I've been using Mobil 1 5w-30 in my ES V6 since the second oil change. I change it every 3-4k miles. However, I recently heard that Mobil has changed their formula. The new Mobil 1 has "SuperSyn" and "newer car formula" on the bottle. It's rumored that it is no longer fully synthetic. I'm concerned about it and I might be changing to another brand.

I have heard nothing but raves about Amsoil, however it can be difficult to find if you don't want to buy through the mail. The employ a network of distrubutors. In fact, it might be cheaper to pay their distributor fee and buy it directly from them at distributor prices.

WhiteMitz
08-14-2002, 06:00 PM
I use Castrol synthetic oil every 3000 miles.
No problem.

New G Man
08-17-2002, 06:34 PM
Mobil 1 change it every 3-5k Got a friend with a Toy MR2 270k miles thats all he EVER used. No smoke, no leaks!

Tiller
08-17-2002, 07:37 PM
Mobil 1, but use the factory filter...

lgalban
08-19-2002, 10:25 PM
Valoline Durablend, a smooth mix of regular and syth. oil
20-W50 goes in my 01 LS. never past 4000 miles at the most. Protect your engine, forget that sythn. high mileage stuff.

pinoyesv6
08-20-2002, 08:41 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lgalban)</div><div class='quotemain'>Valoline Durablend, a smooth mix of regular and syth. oil
20-W50 goes in my 01 LS. never past 4000 miles at the most. Protect your engine, forget that sythn. high mileage stuff.</div>

20-W50 good god, that oil is thick as shit. do u live in the sahara desert or something

Fishboy55
08-20-2002, 08:59 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pinoyesv6)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lgalban)</div><div class='quotemain'>Valoline Durablend, a smooth mix of regular and syth. oil
20-W50 goes in my 01 LS. never past 4000 miles at the most. Protect your engine, forget that sythn. high mileage stuff.</div>

20-W50 good god, that oil is thick as shit. do u live in the sahara desert or something</div>
Penzoil Synthetic blend for me. Every 3000 miles like clockwork.

And if this damned drought keeps up we're all going to be living in the desert.

BigAlBrown
08-30-2002, 10:52 PM
i use 10w30 but i have people telling me to use 5w30. Any1 have any reasons why. thanks for the help.

it all has to do with the viscosity of the oil. 10w is much thicker than 5w. but then again, since its more thicker it can last longer than a 5w. but yea i usually run 5w only in the winter and when i plan on racing. why? well when racing and stuff, yea i was a lil bit better flow so my parts get llubricated easier and in the winter...well u know how oil gets cold, it tends to thicken up, well, yea i want my oil to flow better when its cold too so i get better lubrication

When these two oils are at operating temperature, they are both 30 weight, so they are both the same viscosity. The 5w is thinner cold at the same temp than the 10w. This is so if you live in a cold climate the oil can circulate faster at start-up. That is why you should always give your car a 10 second or so breather after start-up before driving off. You start on the oil film left on the parts from the last drive.

If you live in Chicago, use 5w-30 if you live in Birmingham Alabama, use 10x-30. Given the temperature differences, both should circulate to full oil pressure about the same time, in winter. In summer, if it is hot out, the film strength of the 5w is lower than the 10w until they both get to operating temperature where they are, again, the same 30w. So use 10w-30 both places in summer.
Big Al

BigAlBrown
08-30-2002, 11:07 PM
Valoline Durablend, a smooth mix of regular and syth. oil
20-W50 goes in my 01 LS. never past 4000 miles at the most. Protect your engine, forget that sythn. high mileage stuff.

20-W50 good god, that oil is thick as shit. do u live in the sahara desert or something
Penzoil Synthetic blend for me. Every 3000 miles like clockwork.

And if this damned drought keeps up we're all going to be living in the desert.

HaHaHa, good point fishboy.
But to the point: I haven't done this with my ESV6 but I did experiment with my '86 GT 5.0 when I bought it.
It came with 5w-30 and got about 20 MPG average, street and highway (Fuel injected).
Next Oil change I kept records of all my tanks and tried 10w-30. Still 20 mpg.
Next oil change (Huntsville Alabama summer, 100 degrees out) I put in 10w-40. Milage averaged 19MPG.
Next I went to 20w-50. Milage went to 15.5 MPG average.
The oil was always Castrol GTX.
After this I used 10w-30 for the rest of the time I owned the car, up way over 100,000 miles.

Morale is that newer cars have tighter tolerances in the engine, and thicker oil extracts too much power in pumping losses, to move the thick stuff through the orifices in the engine.
If you live in the desert SW where the temps run 110+ you may need 10w-40 in the summer.
If you live anywhere else 10w-30 is fine, 5w-30 in the winter up north.
20w-50 is for an older car when you start to here some piston slap and use a little oil between changes.
Big Al

TJC
08-30-2002, 11:15 PM
Very well put BigAl. That's why there are two numbers on every oil. The first usually being the winter or cold weight if you will and the other is the hot temp weight.

As for protection, a particulate is a particulate and depending on the filter you use, it will filter down to a certain size of particulate. Some have better flow but trap less, others filter better but the flow is diminished.

No matter what brand the oil and filter and their claims, if it's dirty, you should change it..... both filter and oil. Dirty oil is acidic and will cause excessive wear and particulates will also cause excessive wear in the engine and is a source of friction and we definitely don't want that. 3000-3500 miles is a good rule of thumb for oil changes. If when you do an oil change and can say that the oil is not dirty, then and only then I would extend that timeframe for oil changes.

Doing regular oil changes on time is enough to protect your engine. But using the most expensive oil and filters and only changing every 30k is definitely going to wear at the engine more than reg. short oil changes.

Now if someone can come up with a filtration system that can take out the acidity, filter out all particulates, maintain the oils lubricating effect, and still maintain an ample flow for lubrication, then I would trust it to go as long as the filter will last, hehe.