PDA

View Full Version : ride difference between sprint/struts and full coilovers?

akiraflux
04-14-2004, 10:33 AM
So i've heard that the ride differs greatly between a full coilover set (tein s-tech) and say springs + struts. can anybody offer me any advice? tax return gives me some play money and i'd like to do this the right way.

Danger DANJ
04-14-2004, 12:40 PM
Well, I recently swapped out my Progress springs/front Koni inerts/rear KYB AGX's for the Tein SS-P Dampers. So far it seems the Teins are a slight bit noisy, mostly squeaking from the springs. I haven't driven the car much at all since installing them, so maybe once I actually wear in the Teins, the springs won't squeak anymore. As far as handling, the Teins are alot better. Switching lanes at high speeds is almost effortless and taking turns feels much flatter. With my old setup, I used to get alot of shaking and steering wheel vibration on the highway between 60 and 80 mph. With the Teins, I get no shaking and almost no steering wheel vibration at all. The Teins are just as stiff as my old setup, possibly even stiffer, but over smaller bumps they rebound so much better. With my old setup, if I hit a bunch of small bumps right after one another, the shocks/struts wouldn't rebound quick enough to absorb the next bump and would make the ride real harsh. The Teins rebound much quicker and make riding over consecutive small bumps pretty smooth. As for big bumps and pot holes, they hurt just as much as with my old setup.

A true coilover setup like Tein or JIC Magic are much better for handling and offer finer dampening adjustability as well as ride height adjustability. The only bad thing I can say about any coilover setup is that they can be a bit noisy. But, that's what the sound system is for.

COgalant
04-14-2004, 01:01 PM
Yeah if im at low speed or a complete stop with my GC's, they seem to make noise when i turn the wheel. I think it's just the springs rotating around...at least that's what it sounds like. :?: I've had em on for awhile and the noise hasnt really gone away but like David said...that's what the system is for https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif .

akiraflux
04-14-2004, 04:22 PM
thanks guys. exactly what i was lookin for...how close to a stock ride it is. i dont like the idea of having an uber stiff suspension

was hopin in particular you'd reply dan...i even added you to my buddy list in hopes of talking to you in case you didn't see thread https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif

Danger DANJ
04-14-2004, 09:19 PM
Dan? Who's Dan? Please read my sig. https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

Anyway, if you are looking for a close to stock ride, the Tein SS-P Dampers are not for you. They are pretty stiff. What size rims do you have. The bigger the rims, the harsher the ride will be. I'm riding on 18's, so if you have 17's or smaller, the ride won't be nearly as rough. If you want height adjustability, but not too stiff of a ride, I'd suggest getting the Tein Basic Dampers. Otherwise, your best bet is to probably go with some Eibach springs and some KYB GR2's.

akiraflux
04-14-2004, 09:27 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Danger DANJ)</div><div class='quotemain'>Dan? Who's Dan? Please read my sig. https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif Â*

Anyway, if you are looking for a close to stock ride, the Tein SS-P Dampers are not for you. They are pretty stiff. What size rims do you have. The bigger the rims, the harsher the ride will be. I'm riding on 18's, so if you have 17's or smaller, the ride won't be nearly as rough. If you want height adjustability, but not too stiff of a ride, I'd suggest getting the Tein Basic Dampers. Otherwise, your best bet is to probably go with some Eibach springs and some KYB GR2's.</div>

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

yah i knew ss-p's were stiff and was plannin on basic. i would like to be able to raise it back up during the winter as utah ain't exactly a low snow state. i do NOT want just springs/struts.