PDA

View Full Version : I Need more bottom end power!

DSMBadBoy
04-20-2004, 12:08 PM
I have an 03 8g with the 2.4 and it is a slug on low end is there any thing to do to tis motor to get some more low end power

04-20-2004, 12:59 PM
I have an 03 8g with the 2.4 and it is a slug on low end is there any thing to do to tis motor to get some more low end power
of course it's slow as a slug on the bottom end. It's slow on the top end too. You drive a four cylinder. The only real ways to increase both "bottom-end" (low-rpm) and "top-end" high-rpm power are to increase compression and advance your spark timing.
The other ways will decrease your top-end power by quite a bit, while yielding minimal low end gains. Besides, why are you worried about low end power?

Auto-9
04-20-2004, 10:02 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(scootinintegra)</div><div class='quotemain'>Besides, why are you worried about low end power?</div>

Because most minivans will easily outpace the Galant from a stoplight. And that's something we don't like to brag about my friend.

DSMBadBoy
04-21-2004, 10:58 AM
Exactly, thats exactly my problem i got took by i mini van

Galant95
04-21-2004, 11:24 AM
don't worry man, you're not the only one https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif my dad has a Windstar, 3.8 V6 engine and always kills me from a stoplight :mg: Unless you have a 5 speed then you could try, but not with an auto https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/sad.gif *our car weighs a ton, but still love my 2.4l :!:

jusmills
04-21-2004, 12:08 PM
ok at least I don't feel bad now, I got juiced from the line today on the way to work by some guy in a chrysler town and country, I was with him for like the first 0.5 seconds, then I was reading T & C as he accelerated away. I pulled over and cried...why oh why 2.4 I4 are you so slow! j/k https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

Galant95
04-21-2004, 12:34 PM
slow yeah... but why are our galants getting so heavy each new model :evil: :?:

04-21-2004, 01:06 PM
i think it's fun to lag off the line. I'm sure I'd get toasted from a dig for the first couple feet. But right around 4000 rpm, my car just pulls. And it's funny when you pass people like that.

DrAmACiDaL4G64
04-29-2004, 02:57 PM
we need a limited slip differiential in our cars plus a better transmission. Does anybody know what kinda trans comes in the stratuses... hehe evil :twisted: galant thoughts. And what kinda traction control upgrades can we get. I'm gonna open a new subject about some evil thoughts... Get at me.

The 99 Galant
04-30-2004, 07:11 PM
i've noticed if you remove your stock grill out and get a JDM style one or one with an open gap for the grill you get better response than a stock. Also a cold air could help. The G actually has a decent amt of pull between 70-110. Definitely work on your compression and ignition. Cams might help a little but low end is pretty much stuck where it is unless you get a turbo or SC. A sc will tear anyone up off the line but a turbo will do you better on a run. Also if you have an auto and start it at 2nd gear shift and then go likes it a manual you'll do better, you just have to make sure its switched to 3rd gear at the right moment or you get a huge drop off. When you slam on it, let the tach go past the normal shift point by like 1000rpm when you hear the revs stop increasing and then shift then when you're in 3rd drive rev it til its almost at redline. You have to listen to the engine when you do this to get it right. I beat a ricer Civic with 19" rims by doing this and i think he was sad. Personally i think his huge ugly wing, big truck like wheels, and soup can exhaust is what let him down. And i also outdid a Navigator in the 70-115 mph range. He tried to pass me so he didn't have to get stuck behind a truck and I didn't want to let him in so we raced for position. I think i slowed down once i hit 120s but the Nav was stuck looking at my G's nice ass. he tried to ride my ass too so i stuck him behind two 18 wheelers for about 10 miles. Sucks for him but don't piss off good driver with your ugly SUV.

Galant95
04-30-2004, 10:41 PM
It's right, our g's are not as quick from a stoplight, however on a roll on especially when our tachs reach 3k and onward, pretty sure you'll be holding onto that tight steering wheel and smiling from ear to ear. Also, i just love passing people coming from behind out of nowhere. But when i get my new engine running... :twisted: So, don't worry guys about having low power on the low end. Just keep that foot on the pedal!

b-boy_sky
05-04-2004, 02:37 PM
Between 4000-5000 RPM is when our torque is at it's best.....also a 75 shot of nitrous helps get our big asses off the line....enough torque to burn a lot of cars....

scyc
05-08-2004, 06:33 AM
...a really cheap mod here....try removing your bonnet prop. On mine, the prop sits in between the intake itself and the incoming airflow.

Removed it and see if you feel a difference...

DryBear
05-08-2004, 11:42 AM
Here's a cheap mod that came recommended by RippMods on GalantForums - try drilling some 2" holes in the bottom part of the airbox (the part that is bolted to the car) for some added airflow.

Jet Black
05-08-2004, 01:46 PM
Here's a cheap mod that came recommended by RippMods on GalantForums - try drilling some 2" holes in the bottom part of the airbox (the part that is bolted to the car) for some added airflow.
Actually the best responce I got was when I flipped the air box upside down, so the filter was facing the hood. I tied it down with some twine (GHETTO, but it worked really well).

krazienluv10
05-13-2004, 11:19 AM
people always look for the bright side of things https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif ... my car is a boat n i dont kare anymore :? https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

toc8g
05-17-2004, 07:42 PM
Ok,..since I am feeling the topic,...and I rarely venture out to this territory anymore since my 2000 I-4 got the total...I will tell you my set up so you guys don't get whacked my V6 mini vans or trucks...and maybe a few other v6's out their if you can drive,.....I know you say its a auto how much can you really drive,....!!?

Ok,..it was a simple car but its a fact the I-4 2000 model atleast in Texas is a Fed Spec,...so is the 99,...and I think mid 2001's. I had a 2000 Fed Spec.

Injen CAI
AEM Cam Gear Adj.(forgot what I had it set too)
2.25 Mandrel bent piping(2.5 is too big for a n/a I-4 car, it will rob low end torque)
AC AutoTechnic Revolution Muffler(its the best in the west and once you have one you will never go back)
ECU adj by JET Chip
TB Cable Adj.

Now remember the header on the I-4 Fed spec is baisaclly as good as a aftermarket.....unlike the cheese ball choker exhaust manifold, pre-cat and mid cat on the Cali spec.

Cali Spec car for car will never beat a Fed Spec....I know this for a fact,...and if a car stock for stock did beat a Fed spec then the guy couldn't tell your slow ass cali spec was straining.

I have a 2002 Cali spec I-4 now,...its gonna go bye, bye as soon as I get a few more years paid on it,...I would trade that POS in anyday for I-4 Fed spec.

I have beat numerous V6 vehicles,..trucks, Vans, mustangs(one off the light and two on a roll), camero's(on a roll, one on the highway), beat a brand new V6 Cali spec 3G on the highway, and a cali spec 5 speed on the street(cousin inexperienced driver...lol) Beat numerous I-4 7G Galants,....but I never got the pleasure of racing a V6 Galant(non moded).....I know I would have won I know it. I am not a fool mod for mod he would dust me but stock I would have killed.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid20/pcc5d614b9b79fb2ca7ce0edd3d1cb71e/fdbbc1ec.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid20/pc754bdf64807d10150a91af5e7d953cc/fdbbc1f4.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid20/p9a4abc022c73da38e2ab3d9493c92793/fdbbc166.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid20/p5edd0212b57dca66dc5f74742940528f/fdbbc154.jpg

Here is the Weenie-mobile

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid55/p40148967627903cc5e2f77dedfda7958/fc7e6a6c.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid20/p1f7f03eee20dd31386016808f0a9d049/fdbbc1f9.jpg

2000GTZ
05-18-2004, 12:46 AM
wait, your saying you can beat stock V6 galants with those mods only on a fed spec i4? :shock:

ooo what about against my heavy GTZ with custom cone filter https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

toc8g
05-18-2004, 12:49 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(2000GTZ)</div><div class='quotemain'>wait, your saying you can beat stock V6 galants with those mods only on a fed spec i4? Â*:shock: Â*

ooo what about against my heavy GTZ with custom cone filter Â*:lol:</div>

I will sock it to ya!!! :thumbsup: https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

I can only dream about it now,...and my 2002 couldn't beat shit,....the car sux. :shock:

P.S.

Your cali I-4's all are cali specs,..but remember I had a fed spec which are much faster. I raced my cali spec against my friends mom fed spec which was also stock,...and the fed beat me by two cars. And remember all V6 were cali spec also I beleive. My silver Galant was a Fed Spec,...and lighter then a V6 Galant.

b-boy_sky
05-18-2004, 12:17 PM
Well I have a 2001 cali spec my buddy has a 1999 fed spec and we both have very similar mods. We have both dynoed our cars and have reached pretty close to the same numbers. His were a little higher but he has mandrel bent exhaust and I have press bent and he was tuned for N/A and I was tuned for nirtous (I'm running more rich which will lower HP a little). I have also raced other Fed spec galants out there and have taken them pretty easly ever since I got headers. I'm not saying that the fed spec and cali spec put out the same numbers but I don't personally think they are that much different once you start modding them......Just my opinion....

toc8g
05-18-2004, 01:25 PM
well,...I have race many time in both cars and I can tell you from both sides Fed spec cars will win mod for mod and driver to driver who happen to know they are racing. I understand what you are telling me but you have those people who think everyone is racing them,....I am not saying your lying I am just saying I have personal experience with both Galants. Or better yet,.....I am saying a Cali Spec galant with a Reg cat and a pre cat and very restrictive exhaust manifold is not gonna beat a Fed spec with one cat and basically an after market header. Have you even compared the two manifolds side by side?? If you haven't then you need too. Now if you guys have custome exhaust and eliminated the the pre cat with a header replacement,..then yeah,...you cool with a cali but is it really a cali anymore no,..its a transformed fed now. Anyhow I have been racing and working with the 8G's since 04/2000 Have been moding the 8g since people were willing to even make parts for it........I had to custom make a Intake from a old 2G Eclipse.I have been a pioneer in allot of shit,.....I don't know everything but what I do know is correct.

b-boy_sky
05-18-2004, 07:14 PM
First, evey galant that I have raced has been a member from these boards that WANTED to race me to see how fast my car was. Well they all found out when I took them on the street. Now I'm not saying that a stock cali vs a stock fed is equal. We all know that a cali spec will lose against a fed spec stock.

Fed spec cars will win mod for mod and driver to driver
Like I said another member from these boards, "paco", had the same mods as I did when he dynoed his car and we both dynoed close to the same numbers. Now if his is a fed spec and mine is a cali then why are producing the same numbers in power and torque?

Now if you guys have custome exhaust and eliminated the the pre cat with a header replacement,..then yeah,...you cool with a cali but is it really a cali anymore no,..its a transformed fed now.
If it's a transformed fed spec then why mod for mod will they not be the same? I'm pretty sure a cali spec running headers is still gonna be faster than a fed spec stock. Yes I have looked at manifolds from the fed and cali and yes they are different but so are RPW headers and a fed spec manifold. I don't know to many stock fed specs that can do a 17.1 in the 1320. Now I have raced a fed spec when I got my headers and we both know we were racing (another member of the boards "epik") and I blow the doors off him....especially when 3rd gear came around.

Yes I know you are a pioneer on these boards. But I have been around for a long time too. I've been modding my galant since 2001, I was a member when the first forums went up and I have proven that I know what I'm doing (there are not too many I4 galants pushing close to 200 WHP and 224 LBS of TRQ). I may not post much on these boards but I do know cars and I only post facts.....I'm not trying to step on your toes I'm just putting putting in my opinion.....

toc8g
05-18-2004, 07:54 PM
First, evey galant that I have raced has been a member from these boards that WANTED to race me to see how fast my car was. Well they all found out when I took them on the street. Now I'm not saying that a stock cali vs a stock fed is equal. We all know that a cali spec will lose against a fed spec stock.

Fed spec cars will win mod for mod and driver to driver
Like I said another member from these boards, "paco", had the same mods as I did when he dynoed his car and we both dynoed close to the same numbers. Now if his is a fed spec and mine is a cali then why are producing the same numbers in power and torque?

Now if you guys have custome exhaust and eliminated the the pre cat with a header replacement,..then yeah,...you cool with a cali but is it really a cali anymore no,..its a transformed fed now.
If it's a transformed fed spec then why mod for mod will they not be the same? I'm pretty sure a cali spec running headers is still gonna be faster than a fed spec stock. Yes I have looked at manifolds from the fed and cali and yes they are different but so are RPW headers and a fed spec manifold. I don't know to many stock fed specs that can do a 17.1 in the 1320. Now I have raced a fed spec when I got my headers and we both know we were racing (another member of the boards "epik") and I blow the doors off him....especially when 3rd gear came around.

Yes I know you are a pioneer on these boards. But I have been around for a long time too. I've been modding my galant since 2001, I was a member when the first forums went up and I have proven that I know what I'm doing (there are not too many I4 galants pushing close to 200 WHP and 224 LBS of TRQ). I may not post much on these boards but I do know cars and I only post facts.....I'm not trying to step on your toes I'm just putting putting in my opinion.....

:wink: ok,.....sounds good I think we have said about the same things.

DarkLateNight
05-19-2004, 10:07 AM
i'm solving my problem by trading in my car lol - Lexus SC300 w/ turbo

b-boy_sky
05-19-2004, 02:14 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DarkLateNight)</div><div class='quotemain'>i'm solving my problem by trading in my car lol - Lexus SC300 w/ turbo</div>

that's one way of doing it.....although you will increase more high end with the turbo then low end....