View Full Version : Body Kits, The Basics

galantebeige
04-20-2004, 08:19 PM
Hi All,
Reading around posts in the TGC about body kits I come up with words like urethane, fiber-glass, carbon fiber, etc. :roll:

So, could some please explain what are the different materials, and any other materials, which one costs more or less, which one is better, which one is worse, which one installs better, get's painted better, get's broken better :wink: , etc, etc, etc

Also, does a body kit make you car street-illegal?? what's the deal.

If I get and install a body kit on my car, will my car insurance go up??

Will it pass, state safety and emissions?

Other?

Thanks for the info

chbuzz
04-20-2004, 10:44 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galantebeige)</div><div class='quotemain'>Hi All,
Reading around posts in the TGC about body kits I come up with words like urethane, fiber-glass, carbon fiber, etc. Â* :roll: Â*

So, could some please explain what are the different materials, and any other materials, which one costs more or less, which one is better, which one is worse, which one installs better, get's painted better, get's broken better Â*:wink: , etc, etc, etc

Also, does a body kit make you car street-illegal?? what's the deal.

If I get and install a body kit on my car, will my car insurance go up??

Will it pass, state safety and emissions?

Other?

Thanks for the info</div>What i learned is that fiberglass is cheaper but not as durable as urethane. If you hit something your not as likely to mess up a poly bump compared to fiber. The problem with most galant fiber kits is that there meant for japan galants and they get imported (molds) and so the fitment is not the best with those(JDM) kits since they vary from our G's some.. Like the crashbar needs taken off ours or modified.. which makes its unsafe in event of frontal crash. Look for USDM kits which means there made for US spec galants and fitment should be decent and you usually keep the crashbar. which means your safer and less work installing and less $$ for the bodyshop. I believe fiber paints easier than urethane. Theres only one USDM urethane kit that I know of.. check the group buy forum.

pinoyesv6
04-21-2004, 08:38 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galantebeige)</div><div class='quotemain'>Hi All,
Reading around posts in the TGC about body kits I come up with words like urethane, fiber-glass, carbon fiber, etc. Â* :roll: Â*

So, could some please explain what are the different materials, and any other materials, which one costs more or less, which one is better, which one is worse, which one installs better, get's painted better, get's broken better Â*:wink: , etc, etc, etc</div>

many people say that urethane is better than fiberglass but both materials has their advantages and disadvantages.

fiberglass kits have been given a bad rep because of the cheap low quality parts that are being sold here. the majority of the kits here in the US are knockoffs of bodykits being produced by big name companies from Japan. Fiberglass kits can be made different ways and with that said, not all fiberglass kits are equal. if you notice the lower quality kits, the fiberglass on them will be pretty thick. this makes the kit rigid, so rigid that it can acutally make the kit harder to install. now if you see a higher quality kit, the fiberglass will most likely be much thiner. it will be thinner but it was be just as strong if not stronger than the lower quality kit made of the thicker fiberglass. just remember that many auto companies make some body parts out of fiberglass, straight out of the factory. and those have to be strong.

many people here in the US like urethane kit. they like it because it is more flexible than fiberglass and because the fitment is a lil bit better than with fiberglass. but remember, metal will dent, fiberglass will crack and urethane will rip.

paint wise, fiberglass is easier to paint than urethane. paint on fiberglass chips easier than it would on urethane. but if the paint on the urethane bends too much, it could flake off, or spiderweb. and if you paint the urethane wrong, it will peel off too.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galantebeige)</div><div class='quotemain'>Also, does a body kit make you car street-illegal?? what's the deal.</div>

the actaul body kit replaces what it is called the bumper cover. it erplaces a piece of plastic that covers the actual bumper. so you shouldn't run into trouble by replacing that bumper cover. where things can get illegal is where you start removing that bumper aka the crash bar or if you are is lowered, the kit moves your car's height from legal to illegal. since the aftermarket bumper usally goes lower than oem.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galantebeige)</div><div class='quotemain'>If I get and install a body kit on my car, will my car insurance go up??</div>

probably not. now if you remove the crash bar, and the insurance finds out. thats another thing.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galantebeige)</div><div class='quotemain'>Will it pass, state safety and emissions?
</div>

emissions. no problem. safety and otehr types of inspections. probably. height is an issue. make sure your car is still within the legal limits on how low your car can be. and make sure to keep that crash bar. because removing is removing a safety device and yea, they don't want you doing that.

TITAN
04-21-2004, 09:26 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pinoyesv6)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galantebeige)</div><div class='quotemain'>Hi All,

So, could some please explain what are the different materials, and any other materials, which one costs more or less, which one is better, which one is worse, which one installs better, get's painted better, get's broken better Â*:wink: , etc, etc, etc</div>

many people say that urethane is better than fiberglass but both materials has their advantages and disadvantages.

fiberglass kits have been given a bad rep because of the cheap low quality parts that are being sold here. the majority of the kits here in the US are knockoffs of bodykits being produced by big name companies from Japan. Fiberglass kits can be made different ways and with that said, not all fiberglass kits are equal. if you notice the lower quality kits, the fiberglass on them will be pretty thick. this makes the kit rigid, so rigid that it can acutally make the kit harder to install. now if you see a higher quality kit, the fiberglass will most likely be much thiner. it will be thinner but it was be just as strong if not stronger than the lower quality kit made of the thicker fiberglass. just remember that many auto companies make some body parts out of fiberglass, straight out of the factory. and those have to be strong.

many people here in the US like urethane kit. they like it because it is more flexible than fiberglass and because the fitment is a lil bit better than with fiberglass. but remember, metal will dent, fiberglass will crack and urethane will rip.

paint wise, fiberglass is easier to paint than urethane. paint on fiberglass chips easier than it would on urethane. but if the paint on the urethane bends too much, it could flake off, or spiderweb. and if you paint the urethane wrong, it will peel off too.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galantebeige)</div><div class='quotemain'>Also, does a body kit make you car street-illegal?? what's the deal.</div>

the actaul body kit replaces what it is called the bumper cover. it erplaces a piece of plastic that covers the actual bumper. so you shouldn't run into trouble by replacing that bumper cover. where things can get illegal is where you start removing that bumper aka the crash bar or if you are is lowered, the kit moves your car's height from legal to illegal. since the aftermarket bumper usally goes lower than oem.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galantebeige)</div><div class='quotemain'>If I get and install a body kit on my car, will my car insurance go up??</div>

probably not. now if you remove the crash bar, and the insurance finds out. thats another thing.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galantebeige)</div><div class='quotemain'>Will it pass, state safety and emissions?
</div>

emissions. no problem. safety and otehr types of inspections. probably. height is an issue. make sure your car is still within the legal limits on how low your car can be. and make sure to keep that crash bar. because removing is removing a safety device and yea, they don't want you doing that.</div>

on the painting part, for bodyshops there is no real "harder than this or that" they know what they are doing and you should let them paint it. dont worry about it.

on the part about your insurance going up. well, lets say you got a USDM one and didnt have to remove crashbar. the only way insurance will go up, is if you claim that front bumper. they will add another 500 or 1000, whatever you want to insure it for, to the value of your car. now this may sound like it sucks, but if you were to put that bumper on, not tell insurance company, and got in wreck, they would only give you amount of money for stock front bumper...$250 compared to $500 or more that you spent on kit. same thing with aftermarket wheels. you buy $2000 wheels, but dont tell them and get in wreck, they only pay you for stock wheels...maybe $300-400 at very most.

In USA right now, most FG kits are trash for Galants. Like pinoy said, just very bad quality all around. I would go with a Polykit. I believe it would be best bet for your money. CF kits?? I WISH. but no, nothing for the galant.

NYmagicstk
04-21-2004, 01:18 PM
[b]<span style='color:blue'>On this topic... Since poly kits are better, does anyone know where I might be able to find a usdm cyber 2/ invader 2 style kit made out of poly??? The poly kit that they are having a group buy for (the kit that's on the black car) isn't my taste, so I'm hoping that there is one availible.
Thanx for all the above ifo y'all. I definitely learned something new today. https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif</span>

chbuzz
04-21-2004, 05:10 PM
[quote=NYmagicstk][b]<span style='color:blue'>On this topic... Since poly kits are better, does anyone know where I might be able to find a usdm cyber 2/ invader 2 style kit made out of poly??? The poly kit that they are having a group buy for (the kit that's on the black car) isn't my taste, so I'm hoping that there is one availible.
Thanx for all the above ifo y'all. I definitely learned something new today. https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif</span>I dont think there is one.... but I like to have one if there is https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

galantebeige
04-21-2004, 07:28 PM
Yeah!
Great responses, very Educational, thanks to all.

The obvious question now is, what is a Polykit? :oops:
Excuse my ignorance https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

chbuzz
04-21-2004, 07:53 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galantebeige)</div><div class='quotemain'>Yeah!
Great responses, very Educational, thanks to all.

The obvious question now is, what is a Polykit? Â*:oops: Â*
Excuse my ignorance Â*:lol:</div>polyurethane

galantebeige
04-21-2004, 08:02 PM
So a "urethane" kit is actually a "polyurethane", without the poly for lazyness..... https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

TITAN
04-23-2004, 08:54 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galantebeige)</div><div class='quotemain'>So a "urethane" kit is actually a "polyurethane", Â*without the poly for lazyness..... https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif</div>

and Polykit is acutally polyurethane kit without the urethane, for even more laziness

NYmagicstk
04-23-2004, 09:19 AM
[b]<span style='color:blue'>There needs to be a group buy started to get some cyber 2 kits made in poly. I'd definitely be down for that.</span>

Stylin_G
05-12-2004, 09:42 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pinoyesv6)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galantebeige)</div><div class='quotemain'>Hi All,

</div>

emissions. no problem. safety and otehr types of inspections. probably. height is an issue. make sure your car is still within the legal limits on how low your car can be. and make sure to keep that crash bar. because removing is removing a safety device and yea, they don't want you doing that.</div>

Ok so is modifying the crash bar to put a JDM Bumper in illegal? I know it sounds dumb but I had to ask.. Because I'm planning on getting a JDM bumper, and I know that we either have to get a JDM crash Bar or modify ours.

TITAN
05-12-2004, 10:19 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stylin_G)</div><div class='quotemain'>Ok so is modifying the crash bar to put a JDM Bumper in illegal? I know it sounds dumb but I had to ask.. Because I'm planning on getting a JDM bumper, and I know that we either have to get a JDM crash Bar or modify ours.</div>

well, not if you dont tell anybody. but most likely its not illegal. just dont remove it completely. even then, it wont be illegal, if you get in an accident it will just NOT prevent the other car from smashing all the way thru your front end. insurance may not want to pay anything either...but only if its completely gone.