PDA

View Full Version : Just installed a K&N kit and now car keeps stalling

IHateMyGalant
04-23-2004, 12:30 AM
As I said, I just installed the K&N cone kit and now the car seems like it has a miss in the ignition and stalls at lights or while idling. I did a search and all I could find was to clean the throttle body/MAS. I will try that in the AM but are there any other suggestions? I cleaned the connection to the air flow meter but that didn't help. Will resetting the computer help? Last time my car did this, I replaced the dist cap and rotor. Seems strange that now it does it right when I replace the filter.

IHateMyGalant
04-23-2004, 12:33 AM
Sorry for the double post. Damn enter key!

pinoyesv6
04-23-2004, 04:54 AM
make sure teh MAS is plugged in all the way. make sure you didn't damage the MAS. make sure the MAS is facing the right way.

shine_alex
04-23-2004, 05:15 AM
If everything pluged in and facing the right way , reset ECU -- unplug the battery for a while see if it helps.

sethmo
04-23-2004, 07:59 AM
Yes make sure the Mas plug is plugged in. ALso did you take out any of the honeycombs from the mas?

IHateMyGalant
04-23-2004, 11:19 AM
Yeah, the honeycombs were removed back in '96 when I bought the car. They seemed like a waste and never caused any problems after I pulled them out.

pinoyesv6
04-23-2004, 01:16 PM
thats probably it. the honeycombs are there for a purpose. they help straighten out the air and help the car get a good idea of how much air is going through. now with the intake on, you got more air so the problem has multipied to something you can now notice

sabzi5858
04-23-2004, 04:35 PM
okay guys, make sure that the intake is NOT in the path of the radiator fans.. try putting a piece of cardboard in between them, see if that solves your problem. the direct airflow from the radiator fans can disrupt the air flow and cause stalling problems.. and like pinoy said, those missing honeycombs are probably not going to help your case any.

JiP
04-24-2004, 12:51 AM
If ur filter is facing the fans that may cause it to stall, but I would be willing to bet the farm its the honeycombs! your pullin too much unmeterd air and stalling the engine. If you dont have your honeycombs well ur screwed, an AFC that will solve all your problems in 2 seconds.

You could also try adjusting the MAS screw. Flip the mas over, there is a rubber plug on the bottom, take a screw driver and scrap the rubber off, its a big screw under it. Turn the screw in to richen things up or turn it out to lean it out. It won't make HUGE adjustments but if you turn the screw in, it may richen things up just enough to keep you from stalling.

IHateMyGalant
04-24-2004, 04:14 PM
The honeycomb thing seems to have fixed the problem, but I'll give it some more time before I say for sure. The car seems like it has lost some power since I installed the K&N cone kit though. I'll give the computer some time to adjust and if it doesn't, I'm going back to the stock air box with the K&N replacement filter that I was running before. Thanks for ther help!

JiP
04-24-2004, 09:52 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IHateMyGalant)</div><div class='quotemain'>The honeycomb thing seems to have fixed the problem, but I'll give it some more time before I say for sure. Â*The car seems like it has lost some power since I installed the K&N cone kit though. Â*I'll give the computer some time to adjust and if it doesn't, I'm going back to the stock air box with the K&N replacement filter that I was running before. Â*Thanks for ther help!</div>

Your car HAS lost some power in the low end. If you had an afc you could bring it back. Upgraded filter good for high end bad for low end. All mods suck without an afc to tune it properly.